Author Topic: Roll Call September 15, 2018  (Read 168 times)

Ravenwood1950

• Bugged Out
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
Roll Call September 15, 2018
« on: September 15, 2018, 02:51:32 PM »
Just came in and showered from 4 hours of planting, weeding big time and mowing. There was a saving breeze from Florence I think while I worked. Hee Hee going to lay down for a bit and start reading Book 10 in the A. American "Going Home" series. It came today in the post, woo hoo.
More on my work this last week later.
Ravenwood

I have been having trouble with my dryer since March off and on. The door will not remain shut so I can dry the clothes. I was fed up with having to hunt for spaces to hang the laundry in the house! So I fixed that problem! I ordered a sturdy folding laundry drying rack from Lehmans'. Not inexpensive with the shipping but I won't have to drape laundry any place I can find a spot. I do have an outside clothes line but the weather has been so humid with chances of spot showers I worried about hanging them outside.

I got a dozen cabbages and a dozen collards planted this week. Ripped out my longed for late summer squash because as soon as they got thumb sized the darn worms
got them. I did a lot of weeding and am screening the soil from an old strawberry bed that is full of grass to get it ready for new plants in November. Don't know why I was foolish enough to buy 4 coral knock out rose bushes but they are sure pretty. I am keeping them deadheaded and sprayed them with a organic fungicide today. I really could use some rain here at my place. The green beans are mid calf tall and I pray the deer leave them alone!
I have been listening to the AmRRON nets and Zello chatter anytime I can get a chance to get near the radio and follow the sad conditions in North and South Carolina. I am praying for strength for the folks that live there and must return home to the disaster. It will be hard to face the damage.
Check in with us and let us know how you are doing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:00:43 PM by Ravenwood1950 »

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
Re: Roll Call September 15, 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 03:46:45 PM »
Started the Keto Diet, doing well.  It was a hassle the 1st 4-5 days figuring out meals with what I had on hand but I found a couple of decent keto recipe books and it's gotten a lot easier.  I'm pleased with the weight loss after 9 full days and so is my doc, plus we cut my BP meds in half!  Won't change the statin until we do blood work but sugar is staying down.  I've never had a problem with sugar, thank heavens and now I'm not hardly even eating any.  I do miss fruit!  It does take some thinking and planning to get a variety of good foods for proper nutrition - after all, those fat calories don't really have much in the way of vitamins or minerals.  I miss pasta & taters but I will admit to loving being able to have all the ribeye, duck and eggs I want....and frying the heck out of everything, LOL!

My Ancona spring girls have started laying and one of them lays a pale green egg, so now I have 2 that do that.  (I was hoping but knew I couldn't count on it.)  Only......I don't know which new girl it is!   Expecting an Orpington hatch in the next few days, I only did it this late because I caught an egg from Ghost (my lavender Orp who is 4 & 1/2 yrs old, laying 2-3x a week) so I waited another few days and put 2 in the bator along with a few others just for company.  I really want a descendant, she's such a doll.  It'll be a Buff dad, but that's OK, should be pretty and he's a good boy, too.  He made it past puberty without turning into a jerk. The 5 Sussex babies are now just over 4 months old and ready for the adult coop this week; one is trying to crow so I know I've one boy at least. Therefore, the baby daddy is going into a pot this week, I cannot turn my back on him & he won't let the ducks near the feeders.  The 3 Jumbo Pekin girls still have another month before they are ready for boyfriends.

The weedeating resolution hasn't held up, I'm a LOT behind but I'm mostly keeping up with the grass and that's the most important for me - to keep out the snakes!

And the BEST news:  found a friend of my youngest brother's whose wife is a stay at home Mom, lives 10 minutes away and looking for spare pocket money.  We met up this week, got along great and she will take care of my feather kids so I can bring Gertrude to Campout next month!

Speaking of Gertrude, she's all fixed up:  got the spare tire (that's been riding in my backseat for 7 weeks!) properly mounted.  I blew a camper tire on summer vacay, so had to have a spare to come home and couldn't mount it, LOL.  Everything works, little cosmetic things inside fixed up, two BRAND NEW & upgraded tires installed.  I LOVE my little camper and am really looking forward to the Campout.

Y'all have a great week and please send a little rain up here.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

bountyhunter

• Full Bugout Bag
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 05:17:55 PM »
Wow #10....I have read thru #5. I haven't looked for it but I would like to finish the series.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Lilburner

• Webmaster
  • Bugged Out
  • Gen. Class
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 06:07:56 PM »
Oh wow. I have like 14 minutes alone with my thoughts.

Looks like the BOL is dodging the hurricane bullet so that's good. I'll probably go up there for the worst of it since it becomes a situation of maybe "fixing a window" instead of "structure blown away with me in it".

Estate sale prep is mentally and emotionally taxing. I get so wiped out every day without even doing much.

Aces helped me dispose of some good furniture that couldn't be sold so that it helped people instead of going in a landfill. She also noted that some of the smaller items that don't make the online sale would be good fodder for the campout auction. She even said with some certainty that Starlady would be the high bidder for one item. Lets see if she's right.

Barn raising is coming along - at least on paper. Boy that's a big check. I wish it was already up, though - I'd have more storage for the stuff I'm trying to get out of my parents house.

Hope everyone stays dry and safe!
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 08:14:30 PM »
Welllllllllllllllll, WHAT IS IT????

;)
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

aces

• Bag Half Empty
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 10:18:24 PM »
It is a guessing game. 
First hint:  Metal.

8greenbeans

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 08:57:06 AM »
I've been doing a canning session daily to can the stuff in the freezer. I'm thankful MrBeans still doesn't like to rely on the freezers the way he used to.
Been dehydrating quite a bit. Trying a few experiments while I'm at it.
Still making ferments - I almost can't keep up with Bean8 - she eats them as fast as I can make them. Hasn't she heard of sharing before?
Still making more herbals. Some of it is simply getting things ready for winter. But some of it is needing to make something that will last awhile from dried herbs that are getting older and I'm not going to use all of it before I need to put it in the compost.
Grandbeans 2&4 are heading back to see DILBean3 for a little while before she has surgery. She is having a suspicious lump removed - at the ripe old age of 24. Supposedly, her mom is actually going to help her over this next month before they come back down for Bean3's homecoming.

Starlady! I have you to thank for me starting up turmeric again in larger doses. At the same time I also started D3 in large doses. My muscle pain is completely gone (@4000e IU daily) and my joint pain is cut by over half currently. I'm doing a slow uptick in turmeric dosage to find that perfect dose. Granted, I'm still looking for the cause because staying on these for life is not feasibly reasonable.
BP wise, I'm taking 4-5 times the amount as I put MrBeans on 6 years ago and barely keeping it to the low end of high (not to mention turmeric and garlic also help lower bp to which I'm taking both daily). On my daily record I'm writing in when I take the hibiscus, etc, and what my bp is before and 2 hours afterwards. It's pretty obvious that the hibiscus is bringing it down - but without a steady intake, it does go back up. MrBeans has one dose per evening and his has stayed down providing he takes it daily - just like when he was on pharmaceuticals, except now I don't deal with MrShortTermMemoryLoss like I did when he was on pharmaceuticals. I think I'll print out the German study on hibiscus to take in to the doctor so they don't think I'm a total kook.

It's starting to look like I will be able to go to the camp out on either Friday or Saturday! Just waiting on dance rehearsal schedules to be posted to know when I'm fully available.

USMC Veteran, Blue Star USAF Mama
Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans (30b, 26b, 26b, 24g, 22g, 20g, 17b, 15g)
5 GrandBeans (4yob, 3yob, 1yog, 1yob, 1yob)
4 Beans-in-law ({1}30g, {3}24g, {4}31b, & {5}23b)
1 MrBeans

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 11:23:35 AM »
8GB, check up on Hawthorne, too.  BUT def check with the doc on that one as it supposedly works VERY well on the BP.  As a tea, it's not bad. And I believe we can grow Hawthorne here, one of the things I keep meaning to do!

aces

• Bag Half Empty
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 01:11:51 PM »
It is a guessing game. 

Hint 2:  8Grandbeans might be a competing bidder for Lilburner's campout auction mystery item.

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »
An extra canner?
Mirro?
It's MINE!

Lilburner

• Webmaster
  • Bugged Out
  • Gen. Class
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 03:11:47 PM »
It is a guessing game. 

Hint 2:  8Grandbeans might be a competing bidder for Lilburner's campout auction mystery item.

She doesn't come to campouts. Or anything. I've never met her in over 5 years.

I was just going to let Starlady be surprised and see if you were right  ;)
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

BennyMG1

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 08:19:59 PM »
Work continues at the property. Mice got into the fish food so we will be storing it in buckets. The darned turtles know when I feed the fish and come swimming over like it’s a party. I tried culling the herd, but it scared my catfish so bad, they wouldn’t come back to feed for nearly a week. I should probably use a smaller caliber. Oh, the culling didn’t work. I just have way too many for a pond that size. Maybe once we get moved, I can put a dent in the population.

We’ve been working on finishing trim and getting ready to install flooring. We really need a break. I’m either at work at the hospital, work at the mill, or asleep. The camp out will be very much needed. We are in overdrive to finish the house before the 30th. We will hopefully commence moving when we get back from the camping trip.

Rascal cut some grass today.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 08:01:49 AM »
I've read many stories on blogs of mice chewing through buckets - go back to HD and get a couple of cheap metal trash cans (you're gonna need one for the chicken feed anyway, lol) with good fitting lids.

elandil

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 02:47:30 PM »
I've read many stories on blogs of mice chewing through buckets - go back to HD and get a couple of cheap metal trash cans (you're gonna need one for the chicken feed anyway, lol) with good fitting lids.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Behrens-6-Gal-Galvanized-Steel-Round-Trash-Can-with-Locking-Lid-00108/202264761

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Behrens-31-Gal-Galvanized-Steel-Round-Trash-Can-with-Lid-1270/100202118

those are the two i'm debating between to start keeping my dog food in, it's the best prices i've found, plus most of the local stores keep them in stock so you could pick them up today.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

elandil

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 02:51:10 PM »
changed CV axle on passenger side of my car this weekend. Now my next project is to fix the power steering. Unfortunately, it's not old fashioned motor-on-the-engine style but an electronic power assist module on the steering column under the dash...so once I'm finally able to get my hands on one I'll have to remove the lower shroud to get to the column to change it out. Til then its old school muscle thru the turns at low speed. Luckily I learned to drive in late 70's cars and farm trucks...so lots of practice. Heck, I can still drive granny gears as well as stick shift.  ;D
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1