Author Topic: Hurricane Michael Thread  (Read 5704 times)

Country Singer

Hurricane Michael Thread
« on: October 09, 2018, 07:45:32 PM »
Use this thread to post updates, news or observations from your area, damage reports, and if you or someone you know needs help.

We'll keep this stickyed until the event has passed.
Links:
National Hurricane Center
Mike's Weather Page (very comprehensive)
National Weather Service
Georgia EMA
Florida EMA
Alabama EMA
Hurricane Watch Net
AmRRON Hurricane Resource Page
AmRRON Hurricane Updates

Power Outage Tracker
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:09:43 PM by Country Singer »
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Country Singer

Re: Hurricane Michael Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 07:55:46 PM »
AmRRON has changed its AmRRON Communications Network Condition Level  to 2 - Event Imminent.  Here's a link to the Activation Plan.

Most AmRRON traffic will be on 20 and 40 meters using digital modes, but the "Z" net will be heavily used as well.  At this time it does not appear that the Cajun Navy is activating, but if they do AmRRON will be working them again (as they did during Florence) to facilitate rescues.  I'll update this if the Cajun Navy activates.

If you have information, e.g. damage reports, and have internet access, please post them here; the AmRRON operators will get that passed into the net.

“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Country Singer

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 08:15:00 PM »
Military Bases as of 1900EDT 10OCT2018:
  • Fort Rucker, AL - Closed, aircraft moved. 
  • The Daleville and Ozark visitor control centers will be closed Wednesday, Oct. 10. They will resume normal operating hours on Thursday, Oct. 11. Should sustained winds exceed 50 mph, all access control points will be closed and access to the installation suspended until wind speeds are below 50 mph. Law enforcement response will also be curtailed once wind speeds exceed 35 mph. Directorate of Public Safety Law Enforcement will only respond to emergency calls and all other calls for service will be placed in a queue and answered once it is safe for responders. Should sustained wind speeds exceed 50 mph, DPS LE will be unable to respond. DPS LE will resume emergency response once sustained wind speeds are below 50 mph.
  • Fort Benning, GA - Delayed opening 11OCT.
  • Wednesday, Oct. 10 through Thursday, Oct. 11:
     ALL PERSONNEL should confirm departure and arrival times with their immediate supervisor. The below listed times are guidelines, and could change according to unit needs.
     For NONESSENTIAL PERSONNEL, reporting guidelines are as follows:
     • Wednesday, October 10, 2018: Employees should depart TWO (2) HOURS earlier than their normal departure time and may request UNSCHEDULED LEAVE to depart prior to their staggered departure time. Employees MUST DEPART at no later than 4:00 p.m.
     • Thursday, October 11, 2018: Employees have a DELAYED ARRIVAL where employees in the Fort Benning, GA area must REPORT TO THEIR OFFICE NOT LATER THAN 10:00 a.m. hours and employees have OPTION FOR UNSCHEDULED LEAVE OR UNSCHEDULED TELEWORK.
     ESSENTIAL PERSONNEL should report at their normal arrival departure times.
  • Robbins AFB, GA - Delayed Opening 11OCT, aircraft moved
  • By direction of the Installation Commander, Robins AFB will shut down following day shift today, Wednesday, 10 October. Swing and Owl shifts are NOT to report to work. 
     The Installation will NOT reopen until noon,Thursday 11 October.  Day shift for 11 October WILL NOT report for duty.  We will resume normal operating procedures with Swing and Owl shifts on Thursday, 11 October.
  • Fort Gordon, GA - Closed 11OCT; Mission essential personnel only.  Will reopen for normal operations on 12OCT.
  • Tyndall AFB, FL - Closed Indefinitely due to heavy damage.
  • A STOP MOVEMENT has been issued for both TDY and PCS actions for all Airmen and Civilians projected into TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Florida. This stop movement determination is based on the projected arrival of HURRICANE MICHAEL this week and the potential for the destruction it brings. The stop movement remains in effect until further notice and will be updated as the situation dictates.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:21:01 AM by Country Singer »

EC-07

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:55:15 PM »
Military Bases as of 2000EDT 09OCT2018:
  • Fort Rucker, AL - Closed, aircraft moved. 
  • The Daleville and Ozark visitor control centers will be closed Wednesday, Oct. 10. They will resume normal operating hours on Thursday, Oct. 11. Should sustained winds exceed 50 mph, all access control points will be closed and access to the installation suspended until wind speeds are below 50 mph. Law enforcement response will also be curtailed once wind speeds exceed 35 mph. Directorate of Public Safety Law Enforcement will only respond to emergency calls and all other calls for service will be placed in a queue and answered once it is safe for responders. Should sustained wind speeds exceed 50 mph, DPS LE will be unable to respond. DPS LE will resume emergency response once sustained wind speeds are below 50 mph.
  • Fort Benning, GA - Open
  • Fort Benning remains operational, no delayed reporting, except for DODEA schools.  Fort Benning DODEA Schools will be closed on Wednesday, October 10, 2018.  All Fort Benning Garrison services and facilities will follow regular operating hours.
  • Robbins AFB, GA - Open, aircraft moved
  • Currently, Robins AFB is open. Personnel should contact their chain of command if they have questions about reporting procedures during the storm.
  • Fort Gordon, GA - Open
  • Tyndall AFB, FL - Closed
  • A STOP MOVEMENT has been issued for both TDY and PCS actions for all Airmen and Civilians projected into TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Florida. This stop movement determination is based on the projected arrival of HURRICANE MICHAEL this week and the potential for the destruction it brings. The stop movement remains in effect until further notice and will be updated as the situation dictates.

Where do you get info like this? Email distro?

Thanks

Country Singer

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:59:15 PM »

Where do you get info like this? Email distro?

Thanks

Mostly Open Source, either from the public-facing websites (Army) or official Facebook accounts (USAF).  The movement of A/C from Robins is from Z-net reporting.

ETA: Updated post with links
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 09:11:32 PM by Country Singer »

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 05:37:55 AM »
Wow,  I woke up this morning and it is a cat 4 storm.  I am glad I made preps yesterday.  I am about 150 miles North of the Gulf.  These storms usually break up before they get here, B U T we have never seen one this strong before and the projected path is right over my location.  We are expecting to be without power for a few days.  I need to work on my chain saw this morning.   

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 04:24:37 PM »
Doesn't look like much going on in Metro - but possibly as much as Irma, which was devastating.

I've got my radio on a UPS, my Ryobi camp lights all charged, and my camp generator fueled up and ready to go, if needed.

I have some family in Brantley County I tried to evacuate to my BOL, but they didn't take me up on it.

thoughts and prayers to all those in harm's way.

If you ever feel like spending money on a hurricane app (I did for the last one), I HIGHLY recommend Hurr Tracker. One of the best purchases I've ever made. The amount of info is very nearly overwhelming.

http://www.hurrtracker.com/Main/home.html
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:49:34 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Country Singer

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »
Report from Day Eight: Dothan, AL has extensive damage.

Starlady

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 08:12:23 PM »
I've seen photos/videos of Mexico Beach, next to Tyndall AFB.  It looks like a lumberyard.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

tlwagg

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 08:16:28 PM »
 Panama City homes completely destroyed.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 08:20:33 PM »
BennyMG reports via Facebook that power is out in Reynolds, Ga.
Wind picking up here at my QTH at 2020.
Ravenwood

BennyMG1

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 08:55:09 PM »
I had taken my generator out to the property so no backup here. I did not prepare properly. I'm so bad
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

tlwagg

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »
Henry County Georgia schools will be opening as usual tomorrow.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Country Singer

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 10:16:54 PM »
From AmRRON traffic:

Many hospitals in SW GA are now without power or internet.  Hospitals in middle GA are beginning to lose power.

8greenbeans

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 07:02:35 AM »
My niece and family lost the roof to their home at Tyndall and have a tree down on the house. They evacuated to my brother-in-law's in Macon so they are all safe but they'll have a heck of a rebuild.

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal