Author Topic: I've got hominy. Now what?  (Read 2152 times)

Lilburner

I've got hominy. Now what?
« on: October 19, 2018, 07:34:00 PM »
I went to the grand opening of a farmers market and they had what seemed like a good sale. Short of grinding them in to grits (I think?), I'm lost at how to use them.

I'll research it, but thought I'd see if y'all had any favorite ideas.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RevJammer

Re: I've got hominy. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:27:30 PM »
I actually love hominy...  just cook them like any other canned veggie...   on the stove top with some butter and salt...

RJ

Nemo

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 11:24:18 AM »
Heat them in the same pan after you fry the bacon.  Salt and pepper too. 

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Fixit

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 01:28:21 PM »
Well yes hominy is good in bacon grease but let e tell you what we did the other day. We had a brisket that we had corned then rinsed ,drained and dry rubed . It slow cooker all night in a wood bookstore . We had just made hominy ( yellow not that white stuff . Took the grease of that brisket and tried it a bit now that was good.

Nemo

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 07:20:36 PM »
It slow cooker all night in a wood bookstore.

Wood bookstore or wood cookstove?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 07:55:46 PM »
I watched a video of frying it up in a pan with butter, salt, and black pepper. Guy said it had a "Corn Nuts" flavor, which I love. He also suggested stirring in onion and green pepper. Shoot. Add some meat and you'd have meal.

Looks like the Latins use it a lot in soups. Turns out my $2.50 price was good, but not earth-shattering. Walmart shows it at $3.34.

Assuming I like it and come up with some uses for it, it would be a great value storage food.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

SS-Preppers

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
One thing that we really like to do it put hominey is a pan with onions and cook them good.  Then add ground beef and taco seasoning....get the beef close to cooked and then pull it off the heat.....then add caso fresco cheese and mix it together really good......we then take the mixture and put it in poblano peppers and bake them in the oven....I add jalapeno to mine, but my wife doesn't like hot/spicy food as much as I do, otherwise I would add them in at the beginning....it's still really good....basically a baked chili relleno....I like to char the peppers on the grill or under the broiler but you don't have too.....I usually make a couple of tray fulls and vacuum seel annd freeze them.....

jimLE

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 04:20:15 PM »
The taco seasoning and all, sounds good..i just might have to. Try that for supper.i already have taco meat canned.in which i can use that.
be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6..
expect and prepare for the worst.and hope for the best..

Slclarry

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 10:57:26 PM »
My favorite recipe.. I cook it in a covered 6qt dutch oven.
Cut up and fry 8 slices of bacon, leave the bacon and grease in the pan. Open the No.10 can of hominy and dump it in, do not drain.  Salt and black pepper...to taste.  Seed and dice 4 large jalapeño peppers and throw it in. Add 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes. (Adjust the amount of hot peppers to your liking.)

Bring to a boil on the stove top and then put the lid on and bake at 275 for 1 1/2 hours.  Leftovers freeze well.

ChristianJ

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 11:34:35 AM »
Keep them in the can until they expire... then throw them out. That's what I did anyway!  8)
Christian pastor & theologian

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal