Author Topic: Fish Antibiotics. Share your stories - Mine: Gum Abscess  (Read 2884 times)

Lilburner

Fish Antibiotics. Share your stories - Mine: Gum Abscess
« on: October 26, 2018, 08:55:01 PM »
I love the concept of having fish antibiotics. I'm just not real versed on when to use what and what does what. If you have a good guide, I'd like to see it, or if you have any experience, please share it.

My teeth aren't my best feature. A little crookedy here and there with one about half sideways. I once asked my parents why they were never straightened and they said "You didn't want braces" Seriously? God bless 'em.

But I've never lost one in 53 years (knock wood)! But with some good-sized gaps at the bases, it's honestly time to go in and have them all fixed up, but I've been putting it off.

I got an abscess several years ago - swelling of the gum - a painful pus pocket that was just horrible - headaches - whole face hurt. I didn't know what it was. I went to the dentist and learned about abscesses for the first time.

He prescribed amoxicillin 500mg once a day for 10 days, and rinsing as often as possible with antibacterial mouthwash. Cleared it right up.

By the second time it happened I was already aware of fish antibiotics, but didn't have any. I thought you could buy them locally. I didn't have any luck at like a dozen fish and pet stores, so I ordered the equivalent of amoxicillin 500mg, Fish Mox Forte (Foorte meaning "strong" - in this case is 500mg. Regular Fish Mox is 250mg - half the strength), and had it rush delivered. I went the whole ten day course, but was completely relieved in two days. That, and flushing with Listerine every time I ate or even went near the bathroom.

This last time, I had the Fish Mox Forte on hand, and started the antibiotics and mouthwash flushing the moment I sensed a lump on my gum, and headed it off without pain.

The earlier the better! If there's a lump on your gum, it's bad, even if it doesn't hurt that much! Untreated it can literally result in death from sepsis, but I doubt anyone could stand the pain without going to the dentist long enough to die - it's BAD.

Disclaimer of course: I'm not saying anyone else should do this treatment. Just saying what worked for me and what I don't plan to ever be without any more.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

elandil

Re: Fish Antibiotics. Share your stories - Mine: Gum Abscess
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 10:25:24 PM »
I love the concept of having fish antibiotics. I'm just not real versed on when to use what and what does what. If you have a good guide, I'd like to see it, or if you have any experience, please share it.

My teeth aren't my best feature. A little crookedy here and there with one about half sideways. I once asked my parents why they were never straightened and they said "You didn't want braces" Seriously? God bless 'em.

But I've never lost one in 53 years (knock wood)! But with some good-sized gaps at the bases, it's honestly time to go in and have them all fixed up, but I've been putting it off.

I got an abscess several years ago - swelling of the gum - a painful pus pocket that was just horrible - headaches - whole face hurt. I didn't know what it was. I went to the dentist and learned about abscesses for the first time.

He prescribed amoxicillin 500mg once a day for 10 days, and rinsing as often as possible with antibacterial mouthwash. Cleared it right up.

By the second time it happened I was already aware of fish antibiotics, but didn't have any. I thought you could buy them locally. I didn't have any luck at like a dozen fish and pet stores, so I ordered the equivalent of amoxicillin 500mg, Fish Mox Forte (Foorte meaning "strong" - in this case is 500mg. Regular Fish Mox is 250mg - half the strength), and had it rush delivered. I went the whole ten day course, but was completely relieved in two days. That, and flushing with Listerine every time I ate or even went near the bathroom.

This last time, I had the Fish Mox Forte on hand, and started the antibiotics and mouthwash flushing the moment I sensed a lump on my gum, and headed it off without pain.

The earlier the better! If there's a lump on your gum, it's bad, even if it doesn't hurt that much! Untreated it can literally result in death from sepsis, but I doubt anyone could stand the pain without going to the dentist long enough to die - it's BAD.

Disclaimer of course: I'm not saying anyone else should do this treatment. Just saying what worked for me and what I don't plan to ever be without any more.

Preach it, brother.

I'm no stranger to pain. I've dealt with a lot in my time. Losing an eye, being T-boned by an 18-wheeler and being dumb enough to wave off the ambulance and walk away from it... me and pain have gotten to know each other.

But I have not felt a pain like I felt dealing with an infected and abcessed broken tooth. It took til day 6-7 of my 10 day run of Amox 875 2xday before the infection broke. I do not want to go thru that again. That is for sure. And that was with nice, clean dental offices with modern ameneties, good modern painkillers....Imagine that in a SHTF situation...

Fish mox will be coming into my stash soon.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

upacreek

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 07:22:04 AM »
The Survival Medicine Handbook by Joseph and Amy Alton has a great section on which fish antibiotics can substitute for the regular doctor prescribed stuff.  It even has substitutes for those substitutes for those of us that can't use amoxicillin or some others. The biggest issue I have is that I don't use them.
 My kids and I are pretty healthy, thank God.  The stash I have needs to be rotated.  That's a shout out to those of you that need some immediately.  Ask on here or message someone you trust on here.  Chances are they have some and would be willing to spot you doses until replacements can be mailed by snail mail.  I can't speak for everyone, but it's no fun to hear about your friends in pain.

https://www.amazon.com/Survival-Medicine-Handbook-essential-medical/dp/0988872552?crid=24TCT53A1QI5A&keywords=the+survival+medicine+handbook+3rd+edition&qid=1540638346&s=Books&sprefix=the+survival+medicine+handbook%2Cstripbooks%2C150&sr=1-1&ref=sr_1_1

The book has a lot of other really good sections in it.  It's worth getting even if you don't plan on getting into fish antibiotics.  The authors come to Atlanta regularly for the prep/gun show in the summer (maybe others too).  Lilburner set up the summer lunch at Jim & Nicks after the one this year.  They've put on clinics and have a great backpack for just dental work after SHTF.  I blame my family's lack of dental giftedness from both parents being from New Jersey, so I definitely picked up the backpack.  Lilburner - my 18 year old desperately needs braces.  The brat has refused them for at least 5 years.  He's the same kid that I stupidly told they might remove a baby tooth that was killing him when he was 7 or 8.  He went into my step-mother's bathroom and removed it himself.  It was a bloodbath.  I'm on your parents' side.  I nag him to get them, but leave the decision to him.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 09:27:31 AM »
Here's some great info, print it out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic

And this will tell you when to use what and what classes the different antibiotics are in (good to know if you are allergic to Penicillin):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antibiotics

This will give you info on the bacteria & what diseases they manifest as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathogenic_bacteria#Clinical_characteristics

There are several resources on the web for dosage indications, however, I'm not comfortable posting them since several seemed WAY too high for the penicillin types that I am familiar with and have used successfully for over 30 years for dental and soft tissue infections.   Many other places recommend getting a copy of a Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) - even something a year or two old is still valid.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »
Good tips. Thanks.

I actually have the Dr Bones & Amy book, but never looked at it much. It's in my post-apocalyptic library. I guess some things need to be known beforehand when it comes to having supplies on hand.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

YellowRose

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 03:59:42 PM »
Home UTI test strips and FishFlox (fish Cipro) are staples in my gear.  I have self-treated twice over the past several years, without having to waste time and money going to the doctor when I know full well what the issue was.  I take two 250mg fishflox tablets, twice a day for seven days, which leaves two left in the bottle at the end.  So the standard size of fishflox is almost the perfect amount. 

I probably should get the Survival Medicine guide.  I do have the Nurse's Drug Guide, which I got specifically for helping determine which antibiotic to use, if the time comes that a doctor isn't available.

I do not recommend this to anyone.  This is just what has worked for me. 

John Galt 1

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »
When there is no pharmacy....

my examples.      For strep throat and other bacterial infections such as bronchitis we have all used fish type Amoxicillin and Ampicillin with good results.      We've also used Meloxicam and Nosipren purchased and brought back from Mexico for arthritis but out go to med when Uncle Arthur visits out hands and knees is Prednisone.       When my back muscles are spasming Tizanidine works well for me, my doctor gave me some years ago and we've found other reliable sources for emergency supplies.     

We consult with a RN nurse when selecting what we order and usually go to the doctor for a prescription.      The RN nurse isn't thrilled about out taking fish meds but understands and agrees that they seem to be effective and has even used them herself.

All antibiotics are double bagged in a freezer with a set of dosing instructions.       A spare set of medical information for each med stored is printed out and stored separately.       Usually these are 3-5 page printouts on each med made up from Drugs.com.      We never use these drugs unless there is no good way to see the doctor.

I have found the following sites to be reliable but may take 6-7 weeks to get stuff from Sky Pharmacy, Thomas Labs usually ships within a week.   

https://www.chewy.com/s?rh=brand_facet%3AThomas+Labs&utm_id=303230203&msclkid=438afda52f091bdbe113a671de8e7a3b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Thomas%20Labs-Hard&utm_term=thomas%20labs%20fish%20antibiotics&utm_content=Thomas%20Labs

http://skypharmacy2017rx.com/catalog/Allergies/Prednisone.htm
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

BennyMG1

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 08:25:51 PM »
I keep several fish antibiotics. I’ve used the fish mix forte with great success. As an aside, if you know a provider that will help you out, amoxicillin is FREE at Publix.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

elandil

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 08:59:12 PM »
Browsing the site Tonite and saw this in the sites listed on on the side...

https://www.foodstoragemoms.com/which-antibiotics-work-best-for-which-infection/
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

John Galt 1

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 11:31:31 PM »
Update to meds used.

My wife is very susceptible to bronchitis.      After fighting through the day at work last Friday and desperate to avoid letting her condition get worse over the weekend she raided the Azithromycin (Z-Pak) and Prednisone, the same as her doc prescribes her when she goes in and misses work several times a year for.

Much better (still a little rough) but able to work today.       I posted the link to where we get it in an earlier post.

We always try to get to a doc and I really prefer to never self medicate, but weekends happen and the doctor is out.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

SS-Preppers

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 01:03:39 PM »
So, my lovely "fish" was not feeling well. Someone who had strep decided to come into the "tank" when they should have stayed home and passed it around. Since we are in a 1 mth gap in between insurance polices, a trip to the "vet" would be expensive.  Fortunately, I had some Fishmox forte on hand.  The strange thing is that those capsules are identical to the ones a co-worker of mine has that also just got sick.  Same size, same color, same numbers and letters on the side "AMOX 500 GG 849".....almost like they were made by the same pharmaceutical company.....how strange.

anngrant

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 03:57:50 AM »
I used some fish tetracycline to clear up a urinary tract infection. It was an experiment to see if it worked, and it did.

Tasted like absolute hell though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal