Author Topic: Salvaging inedibly dry chicken. Chicken salad!  (Read 1123 times)

Lilburner

Salvaging inedibly dry chicken. Chicken salad!
« on: October 28, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »
I don't know if this is common knowledge. But it should be.

I have a near spiritual aversion to wasting meat. I feel like it's a kind of sin.

But I got some fried chicken at a new local grocery store that was so bad, I thought I was going to have to throw it away. The better part of two chickens worth! The dark meat was marginally edible but the white meat was beyond hope.

I was stressing over throwing it away, when the idea for chicken salad hit me. I chopped and ripped it just as fine as I could, then tossed it with chopped trinity, mayonnaise, garlic salt, and plenty of black pepper.

When I taste-tested it, the mouth feel of the dry chicken was just a little off. I always prefer to make chicken salad a day ahead anyway, so I was happy to find out that after sitting overnight, it was just perfect.

So if you ever have any awful dry chicken and can't stand throwing meat away, that's a heck of a solution.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

elandil

Re: Salvaging inedibly dry chicken. Chicken salad!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 08:51:44 PM »
Soup is another good option, as is dousing in BBQ sauce.

Another hint, the salad approach works for turkey, just something to keep in mind with the holidays coming...  :D
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 11:31:40 PM »
Soon, Lilburner, we'll have you making your own mayo!!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

elandil

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »
Soon, Lilburner, we'll have you making your own mayo!!

it's one of the reasons I ended up getting a stick blender. Found a easy peasy recipe for making it using a stick blender and a mason jar. Plus, since I had my gallbladder removed store bought mayo's are like a game of russian roulette with my stomach....never had any issue with homemade.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 05:29:04 PM »
I've made my own. Cooking was kind of my "thing" for probably 10 years. I favored the scientific method, and to this day don't use a lot of recipes.

I don't put nearly as much time and effort into it when it's just me, though.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal