Author Topic: Roll Call November 3, 2018  (Read 148 times)

Ravenwood1950

• Bugged Out
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
Roll Call November 3, 2018
« on: November 03, 2018, 04:14:24 PM »
Hello Members!
Burr, not sure if everyone else is having trouble adjusting to the change in the weather but going from 90 to 40 in just a few days is not fun, I can't seem to get warmed up. With all the cold and rainy days this past week I didn't get as much accomplished outside as I had hoped. Monday I cleaned house most of the day and baked a large pan of Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies that my Mother had a taste for. I try to prepare something if she thinks it sounds good as she doesn't eat as well as I would like. Tuesday I did get outside after it warmed up a bit and raked 5 wheelbarrows of debris and burned it. I have a nice sore blister to reward my efforts; next time I won't forget my gloves. I picked and canned another batch of green beans and finally pulled out the 'Bambi eaten' okra that had been struggling to grow. One evening when I went to lock up the chickens there were SIX deer in my backyard. Anyone needing meat for the freezer just sit comfortably in my garden and wait for dusk. Wednesday I was back outside and planted the last of the four roses I bought awhile back. Screened some soil and added compost and planted 12 foot of spinach. I hope the coming rain will help it pop up and get growing. I guess I did too much between the two days because I was pretty tired come Thursday but had a dental appointment and had errands to run in town. Naturally the rain began to pour down before I could finish and get safely home and inside the house. Friday I took Mother to vote; after she had seen the news for several days in a row she decided it was imperative that she make the effort to go and cast her vote; Mother was 90 years old this August. We ventured out in the drizzle and she accomplished her civic duty. Not sure how things will go with this election, we may be outnumbered. :(  This morning I had to bake blueberry muffins for Mother and a loaf of homemade bread, did a load of laundry and am heading out the door to help entertain a national teacher for the Embroiderers' Guild of America that has been teaching two classes for our Chapter of the guild. We are out to dinner with the students which should make for a pleasant evening.
I hope everyone had a good week, touch base with us and let us know how things are going.
God Bless us All,
Ravenwood

8greenbeans

Re: Roll Call November 3, 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 07:41:38 PM »
I'm with you Ravenwood, I don't like the sudden changes as it makes it difficult to acclimate. 50* feels nearly freezing when it was 80* the evening before. Let it come on gradual and it's so much better.

Bean3 became a home owner! He started the process overseas, doing video calls to see houses with some awesome realtors. He and Grandbean2 stayed the night in it before coming back home.

They picked up a Billy goat for me on their way back. His name is Walnut and seems to fit in well. Hopefully he earns his keep by month's end ;)

Took Bean6 & 7 to early voting this week. It was Bean7's first time. I must say, I am very impressed with my children's political analyses. They dont just parrot rhetoric from any side - they can express themselves fully and coherently with solid ideas that makes a mama proud.

Bean5 got a really nice job in the company Bean1 works for so 1) they are moving near us! and 2) I am temporarily a daycare provider again to Geandbean3.

Around the home place I've just been concentrating on planting garlic and goldenseal & ginseng rhizomes and setting up the greenhouse. I'm keeping the hay in there, on top of the worm bin, banana plants & potted herbs, black weed paper covering the ground, and bricks. It's been staying pretty warm in there. Warmer than this time last year sitting on a cement pad full of potted plants. After this is completed - as there is still work to be done - I have a few other experimental projects to get started for attempting to grow food through the winter.

USMC Veteran, USAF Mama
Blue Star Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans
5 GrandBeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 08:42:06 AM »
Thanks for the photo of the grandbaby ducks, 8GB!

I'm LOVIN' this cooler weather, gives me an excuse to focus on inside things when it's too cold to work outside.  The wine has been racked 1st time, I'm blazing through CD books and knitting up a storm.  Opened all the storage boxes, brought in and sorted all the rest of the fine yarns, leaving all the blanket & fun fur still in storage.  Making mitts & scarves to match the hats I've made.   Cleaned out, washed the contents and sanitzed all the closets after a few mice moved in & were trapped.  Next up is organizing the sewing/craft room so I can hem about 8 pair of jeans I've bought over the years that are too long, lol!

The chickens and ducks are loving the cooler weather, too.  Still have 2 chickens that want to be broody.  Got the corn bait out for deer and my rifle is on the dining table to put the new scope on in a day or so.  I figure between the wine and getting my 1st deer that will take care of new skills for this winter season - that will keep me busy for awhile!  Froze 8 quart bags of green pepper pieces, 5 of slices and 2 pint bags of each, plus 30 for stuffing tomorrow........all from that $8 box of 'seconds' from the apple run last week!  It was a lot of work, but worth it for a quick omelette.

Going to get Sam in next week to neaten up the wood storage and finish cutting a few large pieces we left from the spring and some decent branches that fell this year.  I'm saving the one that fell through my car windshield to do myself - revenge will be sweet.  Lots of wood was stored in the spring, the propane tank is full and I love the feeling of being prepared for winter.

Have a great week everyone!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

8greenbeans

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »
Star ~ Just a little PS that I've forgotten over the past couple of months - both crested grandducks are drakes. There's a total of 5 drakes from the hatches plus the daddy of them all.

USMC Veteran, USAF Mama
Blue Star Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans
5 GrandBeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »
If any of those crested boys are black, I'd love to trade you for him!  A baby from both Pepper and Gregg (your baby daddy's father) would be so nice to have - I rather regret selling her, she was sooooooooo funny and cheerful.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

• Webmaster
  • Bugged Out
  • Gen. Class
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 08:04:58 PM »
I've been spending most of my week concentrating on Hamfest, but an almost comical situation has been brewing in the background - a three way phone battle landing in my lap between my NEGA neighbor, my concrete concrete contractor, and my general contractor.

Apparently, as I've just found out this week, the neighbor is a 30 year concrete contractor and he's convinced that my concrete contractor is terrible and doing a horrible job and ripping me off... HOURS of this. So then I had to get the general contractor, who actually KNOWS the neighbor to go out there and smooth out the situation, which apparently boiled down to the difference in footers between a stick building and a poured wall building and the neighbor being from up north, where concrete is done completely differently because of the climate.

I get kind of a kick that 1) my neighbor is looking out for me to the point of leading some sort of crusade against a subcontractor, and 2) My general contractor knows my neighbor who he'd on picked up out on the road because his car had broke down and wound up taking him to lunch.

Rural life is the best, huh?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

upacreek

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 12:51:24 PM »
I feel like I've finally done barely enough stuff this week to post about.  My normal life is very suburban and boring for now. 

I've been collecting hickory and walnuts for a few weeks now (friend nuts for decades, thankfully).  I washed and got rid of the floaters on the hickories.  Then I set them on trays to dry.  The walnuts are a pain.  Peeling the fruit off gives me an excuse to park my butt in front of the tv guilt-free, but I can't seem to get the film/fibers of fruit left on the nuts.  I hope that's okay.  After several rough rinsings and tossing floaters, I put them on trays to dry as well.  I put one tray of hickories that had been drying for at least a week in with apples and bananas that I was dehydrating - just for the last couple hours.  I have zero patience and I've never tasted a hickory nut.  The all-knowing Youtube videos say that it takes weeks or months to dry the nuts out before they're ready - or to dry them on very, very low heat.  Well, it wasn't super low, it was 135.  I tried to crack them open.  Most were impossible.  The ones that did, yielded meat, but, holy crap, the amount of work to get meat crumbs is insane.  I hope following directions will give me better access because what little I had tasted really good.  The walnuts all look ugly still.

Incidentally, my second attempt at dehydrating apples and bananas did a little better than my first sticky mess.  This time I left them in for over 24 hours and they were almost crisp enough to snap.  I left off the cinnamon sugar and just added cinnamon to a few of the trays.  They taste great.  The peeler, corer, slicer I bought when getting the apples works like a champ.  My only issue with it is that the slices seem really fat to me.  I'd used a mandolin the last time and probably had half the thickness.  Any tricks to slimming them down?

This week ended at an Appleseed event.  I won't bore you with the details since I posted about it separately, except to say that I got the Rifleman patch!!!  Now I need to learn how to hunt and process deer.

Best of all, I learned that my favorite (shhhhh) father-in-law, his friend we all love, and my MA best friend are visiting for Christmas!!! I can't wait. Maybe this is the year I can convince my father-in-law to stay!  The idiot thinks he'll cramp my style.  HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  Anyone that knows me, knows I have no style.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »
Upacreek, I'm not sure about your model but the on the original one I have there's a thumbscrew you can loosen, move the slicer in or out and then tighten it back up to adjust your thickness.

BennyMG1

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 04:51:38 PM »
We are still plugging along with construction at the property. Contractor says we should be in by Thanksgiving, but the commander says there's no way. The whole family is so ready to get moved . My house in town has decided to kick us out. The water heater is giving issue and probably about to croak. The previous owner thought it would be a great idea to put it in the attic where its not easily accessible. Its electric so I'm not terribly familiar with the intricacies. I know it sounds strange, but I wish it were gas as I'm pretty familiar with those. The stove has gone kaput! Wouldn't turn off. We had to flip the breaker. We are also having plumbing issues. I haven't had time to address all the issues and figure I'll wait till we move out.

Rascal has a lot going on right now. Much of it costing mucho bucko. He gave me a heads up on a lot of the stuff, but he's wanting to apply to seven colleges......at sixty to seventy bucks a pop. He also has senior dues to pay and I'm putting more gas in the Blazer than in my full size truck. He is taking college classes two days a week in a town that about 40 miles away. Now is just the worst time with the holidays coming up and everything we are doing to the new house is coming out of pocket.

We decided to get the Rottie fixed and made the appointment. My stepdaughter took the dog to the vet that morning. They asked her what all she wanted done and she told them everything.......everything.......she gave them free range......unbeknownst to us. So we have a neutered dog that's had every vaccination under the sun, has been groomed including nails done AND chipped. Chipping is great if you live in an urban environment, but nobody around here ever checks for chips....and we got a bill for $860. Then the dog was sick after he got home and I woke up to poopageddon all over the house. I was reminded of the Roomba running over dog poop story. We got the house cleaned up and put him on a bland diet. Two nights later it was a repeat of poopageddon, but this time with blood in it. So off to the emergency vet that was referred by our regular vet who doesn't take call on weekend. It was $185 for them to tell us it was stress and we needed to keep him calm. So we are in over a grand and all we wanted was to neuter him, get a rabies booster and get his anal glands checked......which they didn't do. He better make a darned good farm dog.

Those of you that know us well, know that the commander and myself are pretty frugal and all this spending has our stress levels up.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb