Author Topic: Project Appleseed success!  (Read 1544 times)

upacreek

Project Appleseed success!
« on: November 05, 2018, 12:21:18 PM »
Wahoo!!!  I got my Rifleman patch at Appleseed this weekend!!! It was my third one and I learned something new at each one.  I was disappointed in my scores and really disappointed that my nerves were getting to me.  I scored great at my home range - a 241 out of 250! and it was timed just like the real thing.  The only difference was that I was with only friends and it was practice.  The real thing comes around and the best I could do was a 220.  Next time.  I need to work on my nerves.

There was a guy there that should be the poster boy for the Appleseed shooting method.  He was visiting from Russia and this was his second Appleseed.  His first was a year ago.  As far as I know, he had zero shooting or access to guns since his first Appleseed weekend.  I didn't want to be too nosy, but if he wasn't a high-scoring sharpshooter, I'd be shocked.  Obviously, he has some natural ability, but fine tuning his abilities so quickly is just incredible.  Moral of the story - if you want to become a better shot with a rifle, $60 and a weekend, could do it.  Find an event here: https://appleseedinfo.org/schedulemap/

The Russian guy also made me very, very thankful for living here.  Holy smokes!!!  He said it takes 5 YEARS to get a gun in Russia, plus a lot of training.  It's another 5 years for each additional gun. Yikes!  I'd really like to ask any foreigner taking the course their take on the history portion of the program.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Starlady

Re: Project Appleseed success!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 02:05:17 PM »
That's awesome and we are all so proud of you!  Congratulations on sticking it out.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 03:54:20 PM »
Congratulations!

I'm so proud of you as an SEPN-ite!

Also I think it's great that a woman showed up all us guys by being the first one to get the patch! I get so sick of women being stereotyped about guns.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

bountyhunter

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 04:26:18 PM »
Good job! Congratulations!
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Wileycoyote

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 06:32:45 PM »
Congratulations! Just achieved my first Known Distance at Talladega this weekend so I understand.

upacreek

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 02:43:47 PM »
Lilburner, it sounds like Wileycoyote has me beat.  I hope he (or she) feels the same - the more the merrier.

florida44

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 03:05:19 PM »
Congrats! Remind me, did you go for scope or iron sights?

Now you are tempting me to get back to practicing. I have a pack of the Appleseed targets and we marked it off to practice then just get busy doing other stuff.

Darn impressive!
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

upacreek

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 05:23:05 PM »
Hahahahaha!  I cheated and put a better scope on my 10/22 than I had the previous Appleseeds.  In practice, I went from a 200ish to a 230+range (the one 241!)  At Appleseed it went from 200ish to 220.  My friend that I've gone with every time had qualified at the one Appleseed he cheated on me by bringing his wife instead of me.  This time with me again he tried iron sights, but the back sight that had Locktite added twice kept coming loose.  I've seen him make over 210 on it though.  His wife seemed to like it so much that she's actually asked for a gun - a milestone.

Nemo

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
BRAVO  :D BRAVO

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

SS-Preppers

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 09:59:44 PM »
Outstanding...........way to go!

Gunner

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 02:30:03 AM »
Congratulations!
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia