Author Topic: Wanted: Vegetable oil  (Read 2141 times)

Lilburner

Wanted: Vegetable oil
« on: November 05, 2018, 06:00:32 PM »
Thought this might be a good time to give a heads up to people making Thanksgiving plans...

Fry a turkey!

Then bring the used oil to the Christmas party in sealed containers! You don't have to worry about how to dispose of it - win/win!

Technically you can bring me used oil just about any time you see me - but best if I'm expecting it. to make sure I'm prepared to secure it in my truch and I don't drive the wrong vehicle or something.

Thanks!
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Wanted: Vegetable oil
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 06:24:46 PM »
I was talking to one of my community members a while back.  I saw several jugs of old vegetable oil.  He said that was nothing.  He has it stored in 55 gal drums.  He was planning to make his own diesel but has given up on the idea.  I think you could get a pickup truck load cheap.  The oil came from the local school kitchen.  What say ye ?

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 06:40:20 PM »
I'd love to have it,but it would have to be super cheap or free to rent a lift gate truck and drive it way down to your neck of the woods.

I have a rear rack I can "knock" one barrel onto, assuming 440 lbs, but would be hard pressed to haul multiple drums in my own truck.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 06:47:30 PM »
I will be seeing him later on this week.  I will see how much he has and if he wants anything for it.  I will get back to you later.

Fixit

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 02:18:51 PM »
With barrels of the stuff I would think you would take a barrel With you and an electric pump . Pump out 1 barrel then load the now empty barrel and repeat .

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 05:48:52 PM »
Or something involving a trailer. All depends on the situation.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 12:44:12 PM »
I visited my neighbor this morning.  He has about 10 gal in 1 gal plastic containers at his home shop.  He has another 4ea 55 gal drums at his fathers farm one county East.  He said it was yours F R E E to come and get.  I think I should first make a scouting trip to his fathers farm to look the drums over and take pictures, then you can decide.

Lilburner

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 01:54:59 PM »
Thanks. That would be great.

I'd probably rent a trailer. My enclosed trailer is nearing capacity as a camper, and my open trailer is only 1000lbs.

But with a ramp and someone to help roll, a trailer would work.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 07:48:40 PM »
I got a bunch of pickups in Gwinnett tomorrow and some in NEGA on Sunday. People LOVE having someone come empty their turkey fryer.

I'll have a least a drum just from driving the community. I got a pretty good system for picking up small amounts. I got 15 gallon barrels with open, sealable tops, so I can pour it directly in and then seal it with a bale like a barrel. No funnels, no leaks, and it will be small enough to pick up and handle individually.

RWS - did you get to look yet? And can you remind me what part of the state?

I'll be striking out to South GA with a ramp-door trailer here in the coming weeks. Assuming we can get the barrels rolling, it should be perfect.

~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 08:17:56 PM »
RWS - did you get to look yet? And can you remind me what part of the state?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not gotten a look yet.  The drums are on a farm on Hwy 280 East of Cordele, Ga.
The Thanksgiving holiday has gotten in the way of getting anything done.  We both have had out of town company.

Lilburner

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 09:04:02 PM »
OK No hurry - looks like it would work out nicely. I need to deliver a trailerload to the Brunswick Area. Cordele looks like a pretty basic detour of taking one interstate instead of the other. It could really work out.

~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 03:42:11 PM »
Woot!

At LEAST 55 gallons from my post-Thanksgiving neighborhood roundup. Nextdoor.com is awesome for that.

~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 05:22:11 PM »
Bonus!

Y'all can call me "Captain" now  8)

~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »
Great haul!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 09:27:34 PM »
People got so excited, I had late comers want me to pick up their oil I made another run today.

People love it and tell me what a great "service" it is.

I might try at Christmas, too.

~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal