Author Topic: Liquid Benadryl likely saved a life.  (Read 2006 times)

Lilburner

Liquid Benadryl likely saved a life.
« on: November 09, 2018, 08:55:46 PM »
I knew that liquid Benadryl is as close as you can get to an Epi Pen. I always assumed it was a "far from home" kind of thing, though - that if you were in reasonable distance ambulance services, you'd be OK.

Not the case. I didn't know until after the fact, but one of the women in one of my radio clubs got a case of anaphylactic shock at Hamfest on Saturday. I carry liquid Benadryl, but I didn't hear a radio call. There was an "official" medic on site, and they had it and administered it.

She was told at the hospital that it likely saved her life because her throat would have closed up before  she could have gotten Epinephrine. She now has her own Epi Pen.

I need to check my stock. I used to get knockoff stuff at Dollar Tree and rotate it through, but I haven't seen it there in a long while. And I've checked several stores. Maybe I can get a store brand from WalMart or a grocery store.

This is what it looks like (stock photo). If they don't have a pen, get some liquid Benadryl in them . Don't leave home without it!
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

BennyMG1

Re: Liquid Benadryl likely saved a life.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 06:41:08 AM »
Good idea Lilburner. This proves that we can all learn something here. I’ve been ER nursing for 21 years and haven’t considered keeping liquid Benadryl on hand (mainly because of the unstable shelf life), but I can see where it would be beneficial if swallowing is getting restrictive. I’ll be getting some to keep here. I’ll just have to put it in rotation. Thanks Lilburner
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

aces

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 12:06:49 PM »
Some of you may know, but the generic name for the active ingredient in Benadryl is diphenhydramine.
It's also the active ingredient in sleep aids notably ZZZqul and Nyquil.

However, it is not recommended for extended use or for geriatric patients.
It can adversely affect one's memory in those cases.
https://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20160509/anticholinergic-drugs-dementia-link#1

But this tip for remedying swollen airways was good to learn for emergency use  - thank you.

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 08:16:52 PM »
Interesting about the ZzzQuil! I'm a big fan. I use it when I have to wake up at some ridiculous hour and have to go to bed at 8 to wake up at 4.

I didn't know it was the same stuff.

Dollar Tree seems to have discontinued their allergy liquid, but they have the sleep aid

Liquid Benadryl is 12.5 mg per 5 ml (Or 50 mg per 20 ml)

ZzzQuil has 50 mg per 30 ml

So - the ZzzQuil is only a little weaker. The Dollar tree version is a nice size for a bag, too. I looked at a bottle of mine and it has a two year shelf life.

I don't see it at every Dollar Tree, but you can order it on the website and pick it up in store - case of 24, so would be gould for splitting.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 09:06:56 PM »
Don't know that it saved a life, but it kept a lady from going into anaphylactic (sp?) shock at our ham club Christmas party tonight. She didn't have her epi pen.

Irony - I'm going to die of hypothermia now, because my umbrella broke about three seconds in to going out to the truck for my medical bag. Can't WAIT to get home and warm and dry.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal