Author Topic: Sick-ish. Flu?  (Read 2722 times)

Lilburner

Sick-ish. Flu?
« on: November 09, 2018, 09:05:21 PM »
I almost never get sick, and when I do, I'm REALLY bad at it.

I have a regimen for heading off colds before I get them, but I don't think that's what this is.

I'm super tired. Fell asleep in the chair for several hours today, which I never do.

My body both aches all over and is painful to the touch.

My head feels "slushy" and a little disoriented. Had to be careful feeding the cat not to fall over onto the floor.

I was extra tired last night and didn't feel my best and went to bed early, and honestly it's only marginally worse today. I didn't feel like driving to NEGA, though, so I haven't done anything but sit.

Does that sound like flu? Does the fact that I haven't gotten significantly worse over 24 hours-ish sound promising?

I've taken Emergen-C and Advil.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

joebob

Re: Sick-ish. Flu?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 09:26:26 PM »
As much as you stay on the go all the time your body may have wanted a break. I have always had fever with the flu in the past, and usually have gastric problems, things leaving my body in both directions.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 06:12:24 AM »
I am glad I have not been around you latey to catch what you have.  During the flu season I try to stay isolated from crowds.  Doesn't always work though.
Get some rest!

BennyMG1

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 06:30:46 AM »
It sounds “fluish” but not really like the flu. The is usually (but not always) accompanied by nausea and vomiting. Considering that your immune system is pretty good though, the flu could be trying to get you. Be sure you are drinking lots of fluids. Hydration is the biggest and most important thing to beating the flu. Rest will also help. I know you are always working on something and constantly on the go, but take a break and rest. You deserve it. If it were me, I’d eat lighter blander foods for a day or so just in case it does start with the nausea and vomiting. Take it easy and feel better my friend.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Starlady

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 09:31:37 AM »
And if you happen to be out today, grab a bottle of elderberry syrup or drops or gummies.  Most of the big grocery chains carry it in their pharmacy sections.  Some products use the names:  Sambuca, Samubcol, Sambucus……...it's all elderberry.   Even if it's not 'flu', it will give your immune system a big boost.   Proven in Isaeli and German studies...…...and since I started taking it 2 yrs ago I haven't even gotten a cold.

PS.  Hope you are better soon!

PPS.  I'm digging mine up to move and separate.  I'll bring you a few plants when we next meet up, if you don't have it in NEGA.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 11:20:48 AM »
Thanks all. Looks like I beat it. Still a little sore, but my head is clear. The soreness could be from being still all day. Right after I wrote it, I sweated through my shirt. I turned down the heat and it seemed to get better from there on out... Shower, rest, and 10 hours sleep.

I assume I had a fever, but didn't have a thermometer. (did I mention I don't get sick?) I need to get two. One for home and one for my bag.

Hydration, rest, NSAIDs and Vitamin C are my go-to things. Since I'm so sensitive to being sick and suck at it so bad (think 7 foot three year-old), I tend to get an early start on staving it off.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

8greenbeans

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 03:41:22 PM »
My mom used to get like that and every single time she had a sinus infection but she didn't get like that for all sinus infections. Doc told her that lots of sinus infections will give off flu-like symptoms. You sound flu-ish but not like you've got the flu... at least not yet.

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

bountyhunter

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 04:42:07 PM »
I use a shot of good shine and a piece of peppermint candy.......works for me
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 06:56:37 PM »
I have one of those.  ;D
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »
I spoke too soon :<

It came back yesterday and I'm miserable again today.

~ Daniel Webster

aces

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 10:07:24 AM »
Sorry to hear this.  Let me know if you need any help or a ride to the doctor.

Lilburner

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 08:33:44 PM »
Thanks, aces. I know I can count on you. You're a good friend.

At this point it's almost entirely disorientation.

Any body aches I have now I chalk up to being sedentary. Also no more temperature swings.

I don't have any appetite. I haven't eaten a "meal" since Saturday. And then only a third of what I made.

The problem with the disorientation is that I'm SUPER topheavy. So I can't get a lot done. Feeding the cat and putting on underwear. are scary as hell, and tonight I was AWFULLY glad I had a stair rail.

I'm not really in pain other than the body aches, but I'm afraid to move.

I'm thinking about trying some sinus medication if I get out tomorrow.

Also doesn't help to be fighting a muddy head with high pressure air and all-day darkness - such is our "weather"

~ Daniel Webster

aces

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 11:43:12 AM »
Vertigo is no joke.  Stay hydrated and see if relieving inner ear pressure helps.  Sometimes you just have to stay in bed to get better.  Try keeping a little snacking going to keep your strength up - even if it is just crackers and ginger ale or Gatorade.

Lilburner

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 08:28:57 PM »
Peeking my head back into the world of the living.

Me: "I never get sick"

God: "Oh shit. That's right. I've got some catching up to do. How about... ALL the illnesses - just rotate through them every few hours. Go to urgent care when you feel like being a little less cocky about it. But don't don't tell them you have insurance, because it's so bad, they'll CHARGE YOU EXTRA for having it."
~ Daniel Webster

upacreek

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 06:45:08 AM »
Welcome back.  Insurance is heading back from the land of the dead too.  My premiums are currently 4X what they were pre-ACA.  Starting 12/1 (hopefully), they'll be only double.  It's almost like we can decide for ourselves what we'll need.  Crazy talk! 

Take it easy.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal