Author Topic: Roll Call November 17, 2018  (Read 256 times)

Ravenwood1950

• Bugged Out
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
Roll Call November 17, 2018
« on: November 17, 2018, 04:31:57 PM »
Well last week was a wash out for sure; I couldn't get outside to do anything except tend the chickens in the morning and evening. What a miserable week! I finally had to scatter half a bale of straw in the chicken run so the poor chickens could try to have dry feet. I did some work inside, cleaning, cooking but nothing to make me feel like I made any progress. My BFF, Beth, came over this morning and we have literally spent all day assembling a quilt frame I bought x number of years ago. I have never seen anything so poorly designed to send out and have women assemble! Could you possibly use plain old screws? Oh, No...let's be sure to use screws that require two metric hex key wrenches and they only provided one! I am exhausted after spending hours trying to decode their instructions. Anyway...we got the frame together but were too tired to add the fabric leaders to attach the quilt layers to. Guess that will be for another time.
Thank goodness for some sunshine and warmer temperatures. I hope it will be dry enough so I can get out tomorrow and replant my spinach that hasn't fared well at all. Check in with us folks and I sure hope things are going well for you. :)
Ravenwood
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 04:53:28 PM by Ravenwood1950 »

John Galt 1

Re: Roll Call November 17, 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 10:41:56 PM »
My business has been slow so I've had some spare time the last 2 days.

Had a few buckets of dried ears of corn so I used a antique hand cranked sheller to get the corn off the ears,      Next I ran the corn kernels through a hand cranked grinder to coursly grind it.      If I added a lot of water, a bit of malted barley and yeast can you guess what I can make?

Worked the bees for the final time before winter.     I needed to pull the varroa mite strips I had put in last month.     One of the hives has been weak for months and I doubt it will make it through the winter even with feeding.       We plan to make candles for Christmas presents with bees wax we got from the hives.

Split some wood using the axe and maul, needed the exercise.

Did the monthly maintance on the solar system batteries.

Rockhopper

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 10:12:54 AM »
Getting ready to put a metal roof on the house. Will design it so the metal mounts to 2x4's creating a 1.5 inch air space under the metal with a reflective barrier on the roof decking. This should greatly reduce cooling costs in the summer even to the extent of making my house habitable without AC. Prep's for the roof include replacing existing 1x6 fascia boards with 1x8 thereby eliminating carpenters gap which reduces rodent access into the attic. Previously I had my attic sprayed with foam which encapsulated the attic space and insulated the house very effectively. Upon replacing the fascia boards, the foam perimeter inside the attic was exposed which enabled me to patch any missed spots in the foam perimeter from the outside thereby beefing up my insulation which will also help for the Winter. One picture shows the fascia board partially replaced whereas the other shows the fascia and eve removed exposing some of the yellow foam insulation.

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 12:21:32 PM »
Be sure that reflective coating is waterproof.  In FL, we had to have our space under the metal filled in as water was condensing on the underside of the metal at night and then leaking through.  Once that was done, it was the best thing we did for the house!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

BennyMG1

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 12:45:11 PM »
Weve started moving some things into the new place...mainly the kids stuff. Everyone is getting really excited about the move. Ive been working on the last of the baseboards this morning. The contractor is getting the kitchen put in. I had to build a cabinet for the double oven since onesyou van order from HD are really cheaply made, the ones made by the quality cabinet companies were twelve or thirteen hundred dollars and two local cabinet makers were too busy. Its been my first venture into furniture making in over twenty years. I had forgotten how much fun it was to build furniture. Now that I have a nice big shop, Im hoping to get back into furniture building once we get settled.

The Commander, Rascal , and Buckaroo are all doing well. Rascal is applying to colleges and Buckaroo is getting into the Fortnight thing. Ill be glad when we get moved and he gets into more outdoor activities.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

8greenbeans

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 10:11:26 PM »
This past week saw us celebrating two Bean-in-laws' birthdays! The big 31 & 32 respectively. Saturday was 4 years since Mom passed. I also found out a friend I've known since Kindergarten passed away and the father of one of my daughters was found dead in his home after neighbors got concerned from not seeing him for awhile.

We also had us a turkey & duck harvesting (grandducks, Star!). These will be our 3 Thanksgiving's meals this week.

Literally the rest of the week was prepping the house, cooking, and rearranging furniture to fit 40+ folks. So a pretty meger week - and with all the muck, I can't say I'm unhappy it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 11:16:08 AM by 8greenbeans »

USMC Veteran, USAF Mama
Blue Star Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans
5 GrandBeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

elandil

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 05:20:01 PM »
worked the gun show this weekend and spent time catching up on housework. Not sure if it's the current status, the holiday week ahead, or just the great weather after last week, but the show was dead. Some great deals to be had if you were buying, but most of the sellers were not having a good weekend.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

John Galt 1

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 03:06:45 PM »
Learning salt curing for ham.     I put 8 lbs of ham in salt, cinnamon sugar, with a dash of red pepper, black pepper, and Instacure.      In a few days it should be ready for cold smoking.

The old timers didn't use Instacure (nitrates) but it assures that any potential botulism is dead, sometimes botulism can survive a salt cure.

Threw another 3 lbs of pork in the smoker for supper.

RWS

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »
John Gault 1,  Don't go to the airport with nitrates on your hands.  My oldest boy travels.  He got stopped at the gate for an expolsives test.  He failed.  His hands and brief case handle.  After questioning and extensive searching he finally told them he had been eating jerky which is treated with "nitrates" and their machine could not distinguish between  Nitrites and nitrates.  They finally let him on his flight. 
Poor boy had 2 quarters of college chemistry either organic or inorganic.  Then when he changed majors had to take the other 2 quarters of chemistry.   

John Galt 1

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 12:46:19 PM »
RWS,     Thanks for the heads up, I never would have considered it.

RWS

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 05:15:03 PM »
This week I started cutting up one of two remaining downed oak trees.  I got the limbs off today so the rest will need splitting.  My wood splitter will be here in the morning.  My oldest son is coming home for Thanksgiving.  He's not dumb.  He knows where a good meal can be had.  His mother has baked 2 pies, an apple coffee cake, and dinner rolls.  He likes ham, so ham it is with all the trimmings. 
The picture is of my overflow wood rack.  Since I wasn't planning on cutting this much wood, this is the only place I have left.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 06:30:22 PM by RWS »

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 06:47:50 AM »
Been busy tending the home fires....literally!

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

John Galt 1

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 09:47:37 PM »
Me too; but I seem to be going through the wood faster than usual this year.
If I knew where RWS stored his wood I'd be tempted to swipe a load from his overflow wood rack.

RWS

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 06:16:22 AM »
Me too; but I seem to be going through the wood faster than usual this year.
If I knew where RWS stored his wood I'd be tempted to swipe a load from his overflow wood rack.
Then in a year or two I would request payback !  The rack is getting fuller.  The support on the left side collapsed while the wife was stacking.  I had to beef it up a bit to hold the wood in.  The back side of the shed has another rack I have started to fill as there is still more tree in the woods.  That back rack still has some dried maple I am trying to burn up to get space.