Author Topic: Steroids/Prednisone. Preps?  (Read 1806 times)

Lilburner

Steroids/Prednisone. Preps?
« on: November 17, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »
Curious to hear from the medical professionals and those with experience.

I guess I've heard of this before, but never thought about it much. I know it's a whole different class of drug from what the athletes mess with.

I went to the Urgent Care and got antibiotics. I was telling the doctor my recovery was going to suck after being down a week. She said she could give me prednisone and it would help with that and that also I had a tiny wheeze it would knock out.

I didn't take it at first - a little put off by the "steroid" name. By yesterday, I was moving around the house, sure on my feet with a clear head, and with a positive demeanor. So today I figured I'd try the next step. Took the prednisone and waited for something to happen - never did. Figured that was a bust.

I thought a good first outing/walk/fresh air would be to go to Costco and get a chicken - never a bad time for a Costco chicken. Got a bad spot, so it seemed like a half mile walk. Got my chicken, shopped, dodged copious number of zombies, through the checkout. On the trek to the truck, I see a guy with a 65" TV. "Need a hand?", so I helped load that - back to the truck. Then I remembered I had an Ollie's coupon and decided to go there. If you're familar with Ollie's Coupons, you know that meant another hour. Filled up the truck on the way home. Switched out loads of laundry before settling into the office.

That sounds like a pretty normal day, right? That's the point. How the hell did I pull that off after a week of not moving?

This is how I want to recover from everything from now on. I haven't the slightest idea what's going on with my body, but I like it.

The seems like the kind of thing you'd want to have around in bad times.

Any educated/experienced thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:50:55 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

John Galt 1

Re: Steroids/Prednisone. Preps?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 09:52:47 PM »
Prednisone is used for everything from arthritis to sinus problems to eczema.        It's an extremely versatile drug.    If you've been taking it for a few days you want to work slowly off of it.      That's why a doctor will usually tell you to take six pills day 1; five pills day 2, four pills day 3,,, and so on until you only take one pill on day 6.

As you may recall I posted a link to a site where I've ordered prednisone in the past.       My wife used some last week for sinus problems.     The prednisone probably helped keep it from developing into bronchitis which she seems to get every year.

Another good med to conceder stocking is Azithromycin.      Most people in the US call it a Z-Pak.      Doctors regularly prescribe it for bronchitis to help make sure the person doesn't get (or kill) an infection when mucus builds up in their lungs.

disclaimer:    I am not suggesting that you get meds without a doctors prescription.     Never take meds unless a doctor prescribes them but when there is no doctor...     
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

aces

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 12:27:52 PM »
TEVA is a major Israeli generic drug manufacturer.  Here is a source for their fish azithromycin for a good price.
As previous poster put:  Not recommending for human use and one should research to use any antiobiotic for their pets with informed discretion.

https://www.allivet.com/p-2516-azithromycin-600mg-tablet.aspx

BennyMG1

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »
Steroids are great for reducing inflammation. Diabetics should take it with caution as it will raise blood sugar. Also, steroids affect the immune system suppressing the immune response. Prednisone can make you feel jittery and increase heart rate. This isn't a problem in most healthy individuals. A better steroid (IMHO) than prednisone is Decadron. It doesn't have many of the negative side effects of prednisone
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

upacreek

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »
My aunt was on prednisone for a short while - it sounds like longer than the normal 5 days or so, but not months on end.  She was in her late 40's and pretty fit.  Then she got a cold or flu and broke her back in 3 places just throwing up.  The doctor blamed it on the prednisone and said it can cause osteoporosis.  She's the only one in the family with it.  They were a good Irish Catholic family, so lots of samples to choose from.  I was on it off and on for 5 years in my early 20's and am, so far, okay, although I'm now intolerant of it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

BennyMG1

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 01:25:20 PM »
Yes, osteoporosis is another negative possibility with prednisone. I had forgotten about that. However, we were always told you had to be on it long term for that to happen. However, I know that different people react differently to different medications.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal