Author Topic: Anyone ever bought a trailer on Craigslist?  (Read 2269 times)

Lilburner

Anyone ever bought a trailer on Craigslist?
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:04:47 PM »
I still need to clear about a trailerload of stuff out of my parent's home. Bad timing, really - it would be perfect to store in my barn that's not built yet.

I also need to take some furniture to South GA, maybe get some fryer oil, several different things.

I thought "maybe I can get an older trailer just to have a backup trailer and not have to reconfigure my camper - also something with a ramp".

Been looking on Craigslist and it seems like at least half the ads for enclosed trailers are fake. Two word descriptions, silly prices, pictures don't match. One thing they all have in common is that there's contact info printed on the picture. But there are several different contacts.

I can't imagine what the end game is, here, unless it's rob you of your trailer money when you get there.

Anyone been through this - anyone know what scam is going on out there?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Gauge

Re: Anyone ever bought a trailer on Craigslist?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 09:06:11 PM »
I would try an app like OfferUp or Letgo on your phone i have never had a bad experience on there.
Stay Humble.

nj_m715

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 10:12:31 PM »
not really what you were asking, but new trailers are very affordable in south GA

https://www.plainoltrailers.com/

I got one from here to move my parents, we saved move than enough to justify the day trip to pick it up

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »
I tried the mobile apps. Thanks.

I know about the Douglas, GA trailer connection. It's how I spec'ed and bought my current trailer/camper.

If you want something super basic in predefined specs, you can get pretty break even around town. Like a base 6x12 V-nose I can get within $200 of factory - half of that is fuel and the other one is not driving 8 hours.

The problem is I think is that that's such a good deal, people are selling comparable used trailers for as much or more.

I kind of want a "beater". Something for occasional duty.

There are two kinds of scams - the super obvious and the less obvious. The less obvious are the ones that aren't specifically stupid, but borderline too good to be true - and they never contact you back. Why even bother? Still haven't figured out that end game.

Still plugging away.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 06:31:45 PM »
Starting to get into some opportunities now - people who don't think their used trailers are worth the same as new trailers

This could be a fun project. Wondering what to do with the hole. Maybe use it for a deer blind. Or spray paint "FREE MAMMOGRAMS" on the side LOL

~ Daniel Webster

Country Singer

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 06:38:14 PM »
Just scrape the "S" off of "Shoes" and you'll be fine.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »
Now that you mention it, I would feel compelled to scrape off everything but "HOES" and the Recycle symbol and drive it around for a little while.

I'm kind of pulling for this one partially because of how eerily identical it is to mine.
~ Daniel Webster

BennyMG1

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
I bought a trailer off of craigslist and got a pretty good deal. Remember, if the deal is TOO good, it’s probably too good to be true. I got a GREAT deal on a twenty feet, dual axle trailer that I bought sight unseen from an individual. The deck was rough but it seemed to pull well. After I got to looking at it at the mill, I realized two of the crossmembers were broken at the welds (I don’t weld) and wiring harness was all wrong. It’s been sitting in my back clearing for six months. I can’t use it until I strip the decking and haul it to town to be rewelded. Then I have to rewire and put on a new deck. In the end, I will have save about two hundred bucks vs buying a new one. You can probably find a deal, but look over and under it really well. Check the axles to make sure they’ve been greased.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

John Galt 1

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 02:45:25 PM »
I bought a 16' flat trailer off Craigslist years ago with no problems.      I added some ramps.

You're welcome to borrow it.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Lilburner

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 03:29:06 PM »
Thanks. I'm looking for an enclosed trailer, in part for storage.

I might wind up buying a new one. The ones here in Tucker aren't much more than the ones down in Douglas, and no one EVER returns a message about a used trailer that's not priced as high as a new one. Heck. I might buy one, use it for six months, and sell it for what I paid.

~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 09:31:31 PM »
You know what is easier to get a deal on than a trailer for hauling and storage?

~ Daniel Webster

John Galt 1

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 10:21:09 PM »
Long ago we had a 1958 Bluebird bus which after many years of use we sold to a junkyard.      They used it as a storage building.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal