Author Topic: Any thoughts on this heirloom seed bank collection?  (Read 2118 times)

Lilburner

Any thoughts on this heirloom seed bank collection?
« on: December 09, 2018, 02:21:58 PM »
You get 60 varieties for $54.

I didn't put it under deals, because I wanted more knowledgeable people than me to weigh in.

But it's tempting.

https://theseedguy.net/home/50-60-variety-heirloom-seed-package.html?fbclid=IwAR0DZ8MTVl5E0_HoDHEpMEKbeAwOnwKcZBl7dGxgAqIaURvaHvfzelivrBs

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Any thoughts on this heirloom seed bank collection?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 03:27:36 PM »
My take on this is if you don't garden but know you will need seed post SHTF then it would be a good package.

If you already garden, you will realize (take the Golden Bantam corn) the seed is only enough for one person or couple, but a good starter.  If you plant just enough for yourself post SHTF, good luck harvesting it.  The night before you plan to pick it, someone else does.

Some of the packet seed will not do good in your climate.  Save seeds each year from what you grow now and then add seeds for storage of what you think you might plant post SHTF.  As an example, I don't eat turnips, collards or mustards, but I have seed in the freezer for those that do eat that stuff.  Also I might get hungry enough to eat it myself.

Things I find hard to save seed from, I put extra seed in the freezer, example; spinach, broccoil, cabbage, carrots.

If this package is a good deal or not depends on your situation...

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 06:56:40 PM »
The two carrots offered are too long for our GA clay - unless you want to fine, and I mean FINE sift your dirt for 10".  Up here we have to grow short carrots - like Oxheart.  Because every time the root hits even a small hard piece of anything (bark, branch, teeny rock) it splits and you'll end up with what I call a broom carrot.

You will have to water celery DAILY - or it gets bitter.  Try Celeriac instead, it grows better in the south, taste & texture extremely close to celery and is going to be my go-to for chicken & egg salads.

I've grown probably 85% of this list, some require more care than others. Spinach is hard down here, chard grows much better and is fairly close to it.

I'm with RWS, it's a good variety of things but you won't live on it.  Might be a good idea to plant 1/2 of each variety (because you NEVER plant ALL your seed at the same time, Mother Nature & her animals/bugs will sometimes take it all on you) after SHTF just for harvesting your own seed for the next year.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

John Galt 1

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:26:51 AM »
If you're going to stock seeds be sure to stock some insecticide.

The bugs usually get more of my garden than the deer and rabbits do.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Starlady

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 10:34:10 AM »
I have a couple of books on companion planting for repelling bugs.  Haven't had time to use it on a large scale - just one of those things I'll do when I HAVE to, lol.  We'll also have a lot more time for handpicking bugs, too.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

ProGeek

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 12:38:53 PM »
My experience with seed vaults is that most of the seeds don't sprout. Not good if you are depending on them for a survival garden. I get fresh seeds every year locally.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

John Galt 1

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 09:48:50 PM »
While I've got one of those heirloom seed kits in the freezer I also buy some spare seeds every other year.      That way I know I've got seeds that grow well in my area.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal