Author Topic: Project: 10KW generator on dedicated trailer.  (Read 6666 times)

Lilburner

Project: 10KW generator on dedicated trailer.
« on: December 15, 2018, 09:32:08 PM »
My balls are too big! More on that later.

Like several of us, I got the 10,000 Watt dual Fuel generator that kept getting discounted on eBay. I got it at $499. It's back up to $1200 now!

While my main interest is whole house power, no reason to be handstrapped to just one use.  I might want to use it in the barn, in the field - bring it home and use it on a different house - loan it out - take it to an emergency, etc.

But it's 265 lbs without fuel. Throwing it on the bed of my truck by myself is right out. It's got a wheel kit, but I didn't look forward to bending over double and trying to roll the little hard wheels through grass, dirt, etc.

Then I hit on the idea of putting it on a lawn mower cart. Then that led me to the idea of mounting it on a tiny little road trailer so I can take it wherever I want. I also have hitches for my riding mower, so I can chug a small trailer around all over on my property. I started by looking at a tiny little 40x48 from Harbor Freight.

But it was kind of irksome that at $289 with no coupon allowed, it was as much as one of their 4x8 trailers. Plus you have to build it and then spend the better part of another $100 on decking, rails, hardware, etc.

Then I looked around some more and found a little 42x60 from Carry On that's apprently exclusive to Lowe's. It was $499 on sale at $399. Got a 10% coupon from the post office and gift cards on line which got it down to $338.40 - ultimately cheaper than the Harbor Freight Trailer and I don't even have to put it together!

It's so tiny! I have no way of knowing if it's behind me or not except when I go through a 90 degree turn. Tailgaters can even still lose their headlights in my tailgate. I'm ultimately going to have to get a drop hitch for it because I'll want it level, and a tongue wheel jack because it will be heavy.

I'm hoping to fit the generator, about three propane tanks, a sound-deadening enclosure, and a toolbox for cords, oil, funnel, etc. If there's any room left over, maybe a small air compressor so I can run air tools far from home. We'll see.

Since it's such a tiny little trailer - it's made for Priuses and Camrys and whatnot to tow, it's called I think a "Class 1". It's got a 1 7/8 hitch, and all my balls were 2". I had to get a new ball while I was at Lowes, and picked up one for the lawn mower while I was at it.

Hopefully more details will be forthcoming.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:56:45 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Project: 10KW generator on dedicated trailer.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 07:16:34 AM »
A few years after I built my house, I also wanted a generator.  Especially since the house was wired for a generator from day 1.  I bought a Miller Bob Cat 225.  When I went looking for a welder/generator, the Lincoln salesman said "The Miller is a generator that will also weld.  The lincoln is a welder first."  I bought the Miller.  I borrowed a guy with a small Toyota pickup truck and hauled it home.  It was almost down hard on the frame with the springs compressed.  He backed it into my garage, hooked a comealong to the overhead beam, lifted the machine up and drove out from under it.  I also made a small trailer to haul it around on.  I balanced it to be just a little tongue heavy and it pulls great down the road.  Double duty welding and 8KW 240VAC generator.
I am having trouble locating a good picture of the trailer.  Power meter in the picture is the one that runs backwards all the time.

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 01:12:09 PM »
Done! That was easy!

Seriously, though - it does give you a sense of scale.

I had to drag it partially off the end of the pallet, tilt the trailer, stick it under there - then go stand in the trailer to tip it the other way, and drag it on. You can imagine why I wouldn't want to spend any time and energy on moving this thing around.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »
You know what's super weird? Hauling a trailer you can't see. I'm going to have to get a flag or some of those posts they put on boat trailers.

You know what else is super weird? When a guy comes up to you at a gas station and asks "Do you want a couple of real gold necklaces to go with that generator?"
~ Daniel Webster

aces

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 05:44:09 PM »
Other than antenna flags, my husband says you could put a folding or telescoping light tower on it to light it when you are using it to see what you are doing.

He is a little concerned it will bounce a lot and beat on the generator since the trailer does not have springs.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 06:03:03 PM »
Other than antenna flags, my husband says you could put a folding or telescoping light tower on it to light it when you are using it to see what you are doing.

He is a little concerned it will bounce a lot and beat on the generator since the trailer does not have springs.
I believe I see a leaf spring in the picture.  Most of those little trailers have leaf springs.

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 06:30:32 PM »
Yes. It has leaf springs. In addition to not seeing it, I didn't hear or feel it on the drive until I got to dirt road.

As far as lights go, one possibility is to build a small riser under it to facilitate raising the control panel and outlets above the rail line (the only advantage of the Harbor Freight trailer). The secondary benefit of this would be the ability to slip a 10x10 canopy and a set of stand work lights underneath.
~ Daniel Webster

nj_m715

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 07:00:19 PM »
I have an old lister engine I wanted to do the same thing
set it up with a roof similar to a military mess trailer when it's set up, use a 15 or 30 gallon drum for fuel, golf cart battery and inverter
have a ready to go power plant on a trailer

maybe someday I'll get to it

I put flags on my 4' hf trailer after my wife and kid got tired of me making them stand on it so I could see it
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blazer-International-Driveway-Marker-48-in-Round-Fiberglass-Rod-Orange-381ODM/202498049

just made a pocket for them to drop into when I needed to back up

aces

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 07:12:10 PM »
My husband did not see the picture.  I merely described it to him.

I like the driveway marker pole.  I need one of those for another personal reason so thank you for that lead.

After having tractors without canopies and finally the last one my family bought having had one, I am always for a canopy on equipment if possible.

Lilburner

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »
Yard cart configuration. The ball is a little too low for the jack I added. Not a big deal now because I can scoot the generator back to lighten the load. I'll need to raise the ball with a spacer, presumably a length of steel pipe and have some threaded rod welded on to the original threads.

~ Daniel Webster

John Galt 1

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 08:57:41 AM »
I put flags on my 4' hf trailer after my wife and kid got tired of me making them stand on it so I could see it
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blazer-International-Driveway-Marker-48-in-Round-Fiberglass-Rod-Orange-381ODM/202498049

just made a pocket for them to drop into when I needed to back up

Flags,,, smart.    Think I'll do the same, maybe just a single flag that is just behind the ball hitch.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Lilburner

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 03:42:48 PM »
Brainstorming a bit.

As you can see, the control panel and outlets sit below the rail level a bit. To maximize space, I'd like to have them near the edge, so I'll mount it on risers. I'm thinking rubber pads, 4x4s, then another set of rubber pads.

But this would put the oil drain too close to the mesh of the trailer wall. I could cut it, but... Voila! A product called "Drainzit" relocates the oil drain. I'd just stick it through the floor mesh.

Interesting note I've learned along the way, and so perfect for this. You know what holds propane tanls like that's what it was made for?

You really do learn something new every day. I'd start off carrying probably three 20 lb tanks. I could move to 40s or 60s, but you face the possibility of not being able to get those refilled after 12 years, while 20s are infinitely recyclable. BUT! the larger the tank, the less prone to freezing. Tough call.

I've got one of these truck boxes I'm sick of looking at on my patio. I think it should be perfect for the rear section, to keep oil, wrenches, tools, and cords in. One of the odd things I inherited that didn't get thrown away or sold for next to nothing by the world's worst estate sale people was MILES of orange extension cord. Coupled with the 4-outlet power strips they give away at Harbor Freight, I should be able to set up a power distribution to rival a small town in an emergency deployment.

~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 04:12:05 PM »
People that know a lot more about hauling and towing than me...

A LOT of design issues would be solved by mounting the generator on the back and taking advantage of the removable panel.

If I were to use three 60 lb tanks on the front, their combined tare weight would be roughly 138 lbs - roughly half of the 265 lb generator. BAD weight distribution.

Full, at 318 lbs, they'd beat the generator, but I have to assume I'd be hauling them empty at least sometimes.

Does the weight distribution matter on such a small and light trailer? Talking 1000lb GVW. Or does the frontheavy distribution have to be respected at all times?
~ Daniel Webster

nj_m715

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 04:37:53 PM »
I doubt you'll even know something that light was back there unless you're towing it with a golfcart

load it, strap it down and take a ride, see how it feels. I bet you'll be fine

Lilburner

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 04:59:15 PM »
My truck doesn't even notice my camper. I'm just worried about sway - something I don't understand very well, but freaked me out ever since I saw this. This is what I want to avoid. they're introducing the initial sway manually, which I guess represents a car hitting it or a trailer tire blowout. But it's not clear what the ratios are. I'm looking at 1:2 worst case. What's not clear is if that's a problem or if 1:5 oe 1:10 is where you have a recipe for disaster.

The lawn mower didn't seem to feel the generator. I'm not too worried about that even when full because I'm perfectly willing to chug it around in first gear.

Any time I'd be driving it with that bad a ratio, I'd effectively be looking for a fill up spot. If I were at a home, I could take the empty tanks in the truck, but I can foresee a situation where I'd be leaving an emergency/disaster site needing to tow the rig with empty tanks.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal