Author Topic: Project: 10KW generator on dedicated trailer.  (Read 6526 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Project: 10KW generator on dedicated trailer.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 05:23:47 PM »
YES  The tung must be heavy at all times when towing.  Failure to do so will result in fish tailing of the trailer.  It can get quite severe.

Lilburner

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 05:40:42 PM »
I've got a steel tongue box not doing anything. One of my Harbor Freight finds. It's got a dent on the top - perfect to  mount a small battery-refreshing solar panel on.

This sort of thing.

If I got my physics remembered right, being that far forward of the axle, the weight doesn't necessarily have to be 1:1 - that weight on the tongue is worth far more than weight just behind the axle - that's how fulcrums work - things like hand trucks. Fill it with oil and tools (probably not big enough for cords), it should put a dent in the problem along with the tanks. I see now that the axle is kind of on the "back" part of the trailer, so forward mounting the tanks should also have a mechanical advantage.

Looking forward to experimenting.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 06:27:56 PM »
Here is a better picture of my welder/generator trailer.  You can tell I made the trailer to fit the welder.

By the time you get the box mounted and loaded and then add fuel tanks, it will be quite a project.

Lilburner

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 06:32:57 PM »
I wish I understood why you can't use tinypic! I'd fix it! Same with Benny.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 06:35:24 PM »
Just click on the picture & it gets bigger.....

Lilburner

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 06:43:42 PM »
I know. It's just a horrible, horrible antiquated system whose very existence offends me.
~ Daniel Webster

nj_m715

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 08:18:37 PM »
your axle is not centered, it's toward the rear. I bet adding all that stuff on the front will be fine.
a 400lb trailer is not going to toss a 5k lb truck into a ditch

load it up and try it before you cut any holes in the sides

I'm not sure what you mean by 2:1
10:1 is how hitches are rated.
my  class3 hitch can tow a 10k trailer but only has a tongue weight of 1k
I can't have 5k on the tongue - if that's what you mean?

Lilburner

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 08:39:09 PM »
Yeah I'm not sure what happens if it all goes to hell. I don't think it would wreck the truck - could send the trailer careening - twist off the metal of the receiver would be my bet. Hopefully the chains would help.

With the ratios, I was talking about weight distribution - where 1:2 would be say 150 in the front and 300 in the rear.

I'm going to take a bathroom scale, put the generator in the back, and then push down on the bathroom scale at the front of the trailer to see what weight I need to achieve equilibrium. I'm betting it's less than 265 lbs accounting for the rearward offset of the axle.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 09:11:24 PM by Lilburner »
~ Daniel Webster

nj_m715

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 09:10:15 PM »
150  is  high
 guideline is 10-15% of total weight on the tongue

John Galt 1

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 10:24:57 AM »
NJ is correct, You want about 40 lbs on the tongue with that trailer
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Lilburner

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2018, 11:41:03 AM »
Had a thought that would increase the capability of the power trailer and also help my weight.

I've got a 3000 Watt inverter that's really too big to mount underhood, so it's been languishing unused. If I add some deep cycle batteries being continuously charged, and run the inverter off of those, I'll have an uninterrupted circuit for critical items like comms, data, maybe an oxygen machine or whatnot.

It would maintain power through fuel changes, cooling cycles, etc.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal