Author Topic: Brainstorming - backup range and dryer.  (Read 4115 times)

John Galt 1

Re: Brainstorming - backup range and dryer.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 08:24:41 AM »
Keep in mind that you may need to widen the acceptable HZ parameters for AC2 (generator input) on your inverter programming.      But a quality inverter with more stable cycling under load may not require you to change this setting.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

John Galt 1

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 08:17:37 PM »
Lilburner,  I guess it really depends on what time frame you're setting up for.      Not preaching here, just a bit of a ramble on my part.

It sounds like to a large degree you're starting with a clean project that you can build to support how ever many people you want for as long as you want.     You also have more ability to add to the buildings easier than most people.      Space for dedicated prep storage or a backup clothes dryer.      You probably can build a compound that you never needed to step off of for 10 years if desired.

Some people don't feel secure unless they have 5 years worth of supplies, others are satisfied with 6 weeks worth of preps.      Our stock levels has maxed out at what we feel is a comfortable safety margin of semi-comfortable living with basic food, clean water, cooking ability, and electricity along with a bit of spare fuel.      Like you we've put a bit of effort to develop supportive relationships with the neighbors but we don't put food up for them.

Budgeting also affects how much money we're interested in spending to increase our power supply (huge propane tank would be next on my list), food for our neighbors and a basement to keep food in, ect.      Do I spend $3600 on a full 1000 gallon propane tank and gas stove or do I put the money towards my retirement?

If bad times went beyond our supply of food we do keep extras of a few hard to produce basics like salt, ammo, some solar backups, and seeds/hunting/trading with local farmers/ranchers.

In my opinion prepping is about balance.      We could have added an additional month's worth of food but instead went for security, spare 2 way radios (including solar chargers for the batteries) and motion sensors.      The radios would be used to bring a few neighbors into the protective net.        Balence of family vacations vs extra propane.     How about stocking plenty of dish soap and aspirin?     It's all about balance in my opinion.

So concidering balancing how long you want your preps to go?      Food, security, hot water; how long do you want to keep that clothes dryer running?     How long vs your budget do you want the ability to maintain a fully functional house with a gas range and clothes dryer?      Nothing lasts forever, batteries die after 4-12 years, propane runs out, gasoline for the chainsaw will only last 2-3 years.     

Statically a multi-year SHTF will not happen during our lifetime.       Stastically my home will not burn down but I still buy fire insurance; and prepping insurance.

Personally I think a solid solar system with propane powered generator backup with at least a mostly full 1000 gallon propane tank would be the ultimate and last 2-3 careful people at least 5 years assuming wood heat. limited propane cooking, and no clothes dryer.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:08:33 AM by John Galt 1 »

nj_m715

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 08:49:12 PM »
"Do I spend $3600 on a full 1000 gallon propane tank and gas stove or do I put the money towards my retirement?"

what's the difference?
stored lp/wood/diesel etc = money in the bank
rice in buckets = money in the bank
veggies in the garden = money in the bank
solar on the roof = money in the bank

imo

John Galt 1

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 10:25:49 PM »
I fully agree that in many ways putting preps up is "money in the bank" within reason, I spent a lot more than $3600 on my solar system but it mostly pays for itself in a reduced electric bill.

My solar supplemented grid tied electric bill with 3 people, mostly electric cooking, and AC rarely is over $30 a month ($22 most months) with the solar system supplying most of our electricity since the stove and dryer remain on the grid.      But to get a $0 electric bill it would require 3 times as much money with a huge solar panel and battery set and still a larger propane tank would be needed occasionally with the weather we've been having.     I'm just suggesting that there may be limits as to how much extra stuff is worth buying.

If my work pays well next year I'd love to add the additional security of a larger propane tank and Lord knows "she who must be obeyed" wants a gas stove.      After years of playing with solar I can see the advantages of a propane powered generator at times.      But both would eventually need replacement parts or fuel.   

Learning and mastering new skills is a different matter; always worth learning more.     
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:56:06 AM by John Galt 1 »

nj_m715

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 10:40:01 PM »
we can make "propane" long term if need be.
this won't heat a house but a kitchen stove doesn't use much

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 06:48:21 AM »
The Radian is quality equipment.  It will do everything the Connex will do.  Those are the two leaders for inverters in my book.  Connecting the inverter to the power grid allows the inverter to synchronize and connect.  Then you can configure the inverter to switch to the grid at night and not load your battery.  Your battery will last longer that way.  Battery replacement cost is the big solar expense.  On the good side, every 7 years you get to decide if you want to go with the same battery setup or change to a new, larger, better battery.
The GS4048A is just barely enough to run your well and other equipment but will get it done.  The GS8048A is all the inverter you will need.  You can expand the GS4048A by stacking a second one later. (costs more that way)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:02:52 AM by RWS »

John Galt 1

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 12:00:51 PM »
Good video, I especially like the image of the cow with a bag of naturally made methane in it's back.

John Galt 1

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »
The Radian is quality equipment.  It will do everything the Connex will do.  Those are the two leaders for inverters in my book.  Connecting the inverter to the power grid allows the inverter to synchronize and connect.  Then you can configure the inverter to switch to the grid at night and not load your battery.  Your battery will last longer that way.  Battery replacement cost is the big solar expense.  On the good side, every 7 years you get to decide if you want to go with the same battery setup or change to a new, larger, better battery.
The GS4048A is just barely enough to run your well and other equipment but will get it done.  The GS8048A is all the inverter you will need.  You can expand the GS4048A by stacking a second one later. (costs more that way)

I've also heard good things about the Radian but it's to new to judge it's durability yet.     
As far as programming the Conext 6848XW I don't think you can program it to buy from the grid at night.       You can program it to sell to the grid if excess solar power is available during the specified hours.       
You can also program it to use grid power instead of battery power if the battery voltage drops below a set voltage which is what I do.     That way we're mostly on battery but if the batteries get to low it will automatically start importing more power from the grid protecting my batteries from becoming overly discharged.

cope

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 12:22:31 PM »
will second rws and the solar clothes dryer called a clothes line. Also can hang clothes up in your shower, they make shower clothes lines that stick to the wall and retract. These allow the clothes to drip dry in the shower or bathtub.

Also having a wood burning stove helps two ways. One provides heat and two allows you to cook so no need for a gas or electric range.

nj_m715

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 12:07:26 PM »
more long term "propane" production
perfect for the guy with a harbor freight welder and a hundred lp tanks laying around

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »
Backup range for an all electric.  For a short term propane will work, however; in the long term power down situation it would be nice to have one of those back yard stove & oven that use fire wood that can be gathered from around the area.  There are many sizes, shapes available as you can imagine.

https://www.woodlanddirect.com/Brickwood-Mattone-Barile-Grande-Foam-Mold-Only?st-t=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp7DiBRDdARIsABIMfoBwGxE52DXq0i0pPTdvipGd2HPaVZkedO8-sJ1bu7EBSLxSKAkVrYgaArtAEALw_wcB

https://www.google.com/search?q=masonry+wood+burning+stove&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=A3qEFWAkSwCtSM%253A%252Cm7KBSZiydBT3XM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kQuGUPDF6PjtastIQWsthJMMVkP3g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiUhbiahYzgAhUEPN8KHby_COIQ9QEwCXoECAQQDg#imgrc=A3qEFWAkSwCtSM:

It might be that you would design it into your new house or back yard patio.

ProGeek

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 09:28:37 PM »
Lilburner, I rent my 500 gallon tank from the Gas Co for about $60 per year. You are locked into that company to buy gas, but you don't have to pay $3500 up front. No gas company will fill a tank that's not been certified. So buying a used tank that isn't certified may not save you money.

Many older stoves only use power for the igniter and clock. Make sure it has a knob for the oven. If not you don't want it. You can buy a used one setup for propane or convert it yourself. Most have conversion kits you can get. Or you can get one of these from HomeDepot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Premier-30-in-3-91-cu-ft-Battery-Spark-Ignition-Gas-Range-in-White-BFK100OP/203358112
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal