Author Topic: Excellent Canned Ham comparison on Backdoor Survival  (Read 2951 times)

elandil

Excellent Canned Ham comparison on Backdoor Survival
« on: January 03, 2019, 10:09:03 PM »
Came across this while doing some research this evening. It's a well written article comparing some of the popular brands of canned ham available.

I really like how she added in both SPAM and the chunk ham cans as a comparison.

https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/the-prepper-ham-slam/
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

HogJowlHomestead

Re: Excellent Canned Ham comparison on Backdoor Survival
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 08:39:08 AM »
Found this pulled pork at Costco. We use it for BBQ nachos. Does not taste like canned meat but it also isnt slammed full of calories. Might be good as a morale booster meal.
Psalms 127:3-5

Abigayle

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 07:42:06 PM »
I thought this article by Gaye, at Backdoor Survival was worth resurfacing, due to the current situation we find ourselves in.  You can still buy her top rated 1 lb ham at Dollar General for 3.25 a lb.  Looking I the rear view mirror, that is spot on to what it was some time ago.  For those of you just starting out, or anyone needing some additions or refreshers, I have always felt that Gaye was the real thing.  When we moved back to the U.S., I found her site, and made many purchases on her advice, that still are worth their weight in gold today.  She has really roughed in through the years, as she and her little family worked to create a homestead that would sustain them.  I think she is a good read, and worth following.  If I am wrong, I trust that someone on this site will quickly correct me.  I am a big girl and can handle that just fine...

Surveyor1

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 11:08:45 PM »
Thanks Abigayle for posting!  After reading the article I bought the last 7 remaining hams they had at my local Walmart, Bristol at $2.82 per can!!!  According to the article this seems to be a good choice!  Thanks for sharing!!!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 11:48:51 AM »
Survivor 1, You dog, you!!!! Had to tell me that you got it at 2.82.!  That was even lower than Gaye's last buy!  Mine expires in 2026, top that! :)
Checked Dollar General today, none in yet.  I am going to check other sources.  I won't drive to your Walmart though...you hoarder you.....LOL

Surveyor1

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 12:05:57 PM »
Survivor 1, You dog, you!!!! Had to tell me that you got it at 2.82.!  That was even lower than Gaye's last buy!  Mine expires in 2026, top that! :)
Checked Dollar General today, none in yet.  I am going to check other sources.  I won't drive to your Walmart though...you hoarder you.....LOL

They are going to short me 2 cans😡!  I order online for in-store pickup and once ordered I have 4 days to pickup.  Not a bad way to shop when products are tight!  Beats the heck out of driving 15 miles only to find empty shelves🤦‍♂️!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 12:51:53 PM »
See how they are?  The Dollar General is only a few blocks from where I take our Dutch Shepard on a walking trail.  No one is ever there (hardly), so he can be off leash.  He stays right with me.  Next, we can drive three blocks out of our way to the Dollar Stove, so I guess with what I save in gas, I make up the change... Good idea for the pickup.  I can check out the Kroger here, and Food Depot.  I don't hope the Kroger here normally, because it is very depressing...not even clean....I was shocked!  Good luck on finding some more.  I am on the hunt as well.  The shelves are less than half full, but they usually get an order on Tues.  I will check with the clerk she might put some back for me.
Ariel

joebob

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 01:04:22 PM »
A week or so ago I tried the Great Value brand of spam and it was very close to the taste of original Spam, and about a dollar a can less. I might see about picking up some more. A penny saved is a penny earned, or so I have heard.

Surveyor1

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 01:13:37 PM »
See how they are?  The Dollar General is only a few blocks from where I take our Dutch Shepard on a walking trail.  No one is ever there (hardly), so he can be off leash.  He stays right with me.  Next, we can drive three blocks out of our way to the Dollar Stove, so I guess with what I save in gas, I make up the change... Good idea for the pickup.  I can check out the Kroger here, and Food Depot.  I don't hope the Kroger here normally, because it is very depressing...not even clean....I was shocked!  Good luck on finding some more.  I am on the hunt as well.  The shelves are less than half full, but they usually get an order on Tues.  I will check with the clerk she might put some back for me.

If you have an Aldis close by they sell Brookdale canned ham and it’s usually less than $3.00 as well.

BennyMG1

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 08:30:45 PM »
I agree 💯% with joebob. I’ve tried the great value spam. We use 25% reduced sodium and it’s almost identical to SPAM. At $1.89 per can, I’d call it an outstanding deal. We have a nice supply.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Fixit

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 06:48:20 AM »
Canned ham yesterday. 20 qts added to larder.

Abigayle

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 09:09:02 AM »
After a holiday, I take our left over ham, make slices which I smear with a light mixture of brown sugar and brow mustard.  I add one clove from the ham and if I used pineapple, I add two chucks.  I make a roll and put it or them in a pint jar and can them.  If you only have small strips, you can still use this method.
I also save mashed potatoes. Make little mounds, like you would put on your plate for a meal.  do this on a cookie sheet.  You can use a paper liner.  Put it in the freezer.  In a few hours add the frozen mound to freezer bag.  Use as needed by place them in a 400 oven to heat through.  You can cook at different temps, according to what you are making with them, if anything.  I always make extra for this reason, plus you don't want people fighting over the mashed potatoes at the table.  It ain't pretty...:)
Ariel

Abigayle

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 05:08:23 PM »
So today we had an appt. in a town near us, but not ours.... We left early so I could stop at some Dollar General Stores.  I managed for find five more cans of ham, at 3.00 a can.  I found this interesting, as the small (as in, the town you are now passing through was...) had them for 3.25.  I also ventured into a Dollar Store, where most things are still a dollar.  There, I could find some name brand cheese and potatoes (boxed) for just one dollar.  They expired late next summer.  I also found some small cans of cheese for a dollar each.  They were small, but would add a lot to a meal, when we were missing cheese.

Surveyor1

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 04:39:11 PM »
Thanks Abigayle for posting!  After reading the article I bought the last 7 remaining hams they had at my local Walmart, Bristol at $2.82 per can!!!  According to the article this seems to be a good choice!  Thanks for sharing!!!

Nothing like inflation!  After reading this article I checked today’s price on the canned Bristol brand ham, up to $4.32…. Nothing like almost 60% inflation in about 20 months! 

Abigayle

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2023, 07:37:48 PM »
One that hasn't gone up much at Ingles is Keystone canned meat 28 oz. is still eight something, with the exception of turkey for nine.  The shelf life is like four years out.  When I first found it there, Amazon will selling it for over twenty a can.  I tried the manufacturer and they were over twenty at that time.  I have not checked it on line lately.
Thrift books has a small cooking with spam cookbook.  It is cheap. Most of the recipes come from Hawaii where Spam was a delicacy during WWII.  I've tried to vary what I put back, with low sodium, smoke flavored and some turkey spam.
Some family is coming next month that doesn't think the way we do.  If you don't hear from me, they had us committed.  Are 750 paper plates really enough?:)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal