Author Topic: Food Stamp Program  (Read 2560 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Food Stamp Program
« on: January 04, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »
What will happen if food stamp program is suddenly shut down?  Will there be civil disorder?

"We could very well experience what it is like for people to not get their food stamp money on the first of February.  There is no frame of reference for what will happen, although some have suggested people will pick up part-time jobs, others say extreme measures will be undertaken and civil unrest could occur. Right now, it’s anyone’s guess…"

https://www.dcclothesline.com/2019/01/04/government-shutdown-food-stamp-money-is-gone-at-the-end-of-january/

Well here it comes.  I have been hearing for months that an emergency declaration would be made in January 19.
"The President revealed that he had considered declaring a national emergency to secure border wall funding and said, “I still might.”"

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/01/breaking-trump-considering-declaring-national-emergency-to-secure-border-wall-funding/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:44:02 PM by RWS »

HogJowlHomestead

Re: Food Stamp Program
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 10:02:47 PM »
If it were to happen there will be rioting in low income neighborhoods. Im sure stores would take the brunt if it like Walmart did when the EBT system crashed for a day. 

Id make a prediction on if it will happen but i have no foothold on whats going on. Every minute changes, markets down, markets up, fed is hawkish then dovish. Trump has a press conference then tweets something different. Maybe thats the point, way to much info scrambling the waves. 

Seems pertinent to just stay the course.
Psalms 127:3-5

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 09:28:32 AM »
To answer your 2nd question:  Yes.

We've seen mini-riots several times around the country in the past 5 years when localized computer issues forced the non-acceptance of EBT cards.....and not just at WalMart.  They will just steal what they want.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

bountyhunter

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »
I am glad that everyone here is independently wealthy and not having to rely on food stamps. Not that I agree or disagree with the program.....but I know of several folks that are on the program that definitely need it. There are a bunch of senior citizens on that program that are not able to go out and protest and steal and break windows etc...etc...etc. Are yall lumping them into the same category as the deadbeats, degenerates that receive this program? Because if you are you need to look at yourself in the mirror.....
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 05:11:28 PM »
Bounty Hunter,
It is hard to convey your thoughts well in a posted message...I am sure the replies are geared toward younger people that seem to be able to afford a iphone, fancy nails and other luxuries and use food stamps unwisely. Our elderly poor never get as much help as they deserve. I got food stamps when my children were toddlers after their father abandoned us and was ever so grateful that I could by better quality food for them to eat. That is one reason I determined to be as self-sufficient as I could. The working poor also have a hard time making it, we all need to pray for them and add another bag of beans and rice to our storage in case we are lead to share. Let us pray it never comes to that.,
Ravenwood

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 05:58:42 PM »
What will happen if food stamp program is suddenly shut down?  Will there be civil disorder?

The whole topic of this board has been Civil disorder based on the shut down. In the case of those who deserve it, charity is charged to the local Church as seen in the writings James and Paul. Because only your local community knows if your a widow or a bum. Hence the fed should not be involved, if anything it should be deceminated to local government.
Psalms 127:3-5

nj_m715

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 08:40:10 PM »
who said "all"?

we're are discussing what could happen based on what has happened, this outage was only a couple hours long

don't forget the near riots in our own backyard

John Galt 1

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 02:37:38 PM »
I am glad that everyone here is independently wealthy and not having to rely on food stamps. Not that I agree or disagree with the program.....but I know of several folks that are on the program that definitely need it. There are a bunch of senior citizens on that program that are not able to go out and protest and steal and break windows etc...etc...etc. Are yall lumping them into the same category as the deadbeats, degenerates that receive this program? Because if you are you need to look at yourself in the mirror.....

I will live my life for no man, nor will I ask any man to live his life for me.

Having said that yes, most if not all of us are willing to help those who make a honest attempt within their abilitiies at earning enough to feed their famlies but why should I support the woman in the video who had 6 kids.      Or the man/men who helped create those children but obviously won't support them.      I'd help feed her kids but not the people who who had the 6 kids they probably never had the ability or intention to support without government assistance (my tax dollars).

I've known 2 young women, both of whom had several kids with different fathers that intended to have as many kids as possible so they could collect more government benefits.

I knew a guy who had 11 kids when he was 24 years old yet supports none of them.      I may be willing to feed his kids but not him.

I've been in rooms in the city projects where the people lived with subsidized rent and food stamps, most apartments were shabby with very little but some had giant TVs, beautiful furnature, new sofas.       Why should my tax dollars subsidize their apartment rent?

Charity begins at the local community level, where people know who actually tries hard and those who just try to game the system.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

rgh

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 06:24:35 PM »
I agree with you John Galt 1.

My wife and I have known several young ladies during their high school years whose life plan was to have 3 children without being married as they could get $800 per month per child from the system where they lived. Then they were learning all the agencies which would provide additional support above that. Quite the system we have allowed to be created!

I applaud your willingness to help young children and widows (I assume the latter).

Ultimately, it should come down to "those able but unwilling to work -- don't eat". That would end the social system abuse. And, let the local people handle the local charity needs.

No one should take from a man what he has earned for the purpose of redistributing it to someone who has earned nothing regardless of his ability to do so.

John Galt 1

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 09:05:52 AM »
I've known 2 young women, both of whom had several kids with different fathers that intended to have as many kids as possible so they could collect more government benefits.

I sometimes was in the room when these two mothers would compare notes on additional benefits they could collect.      My friend had married the step mother for one of these girls and would babysit the children occasionally.

If I remember correctly between those 2 young women they had worked up to 5 kids between them when the state of NC was considering some laws to limit the number of kids per mother the state would continue to increase the payment per child amounts.      Lot's of consternation and one of the mothers was hoping she hadn't recently become pregnant since there may no longer be additional money for the potential child she may be carrying.
The girls were true professional sponges on society and my tax dollar.

By chance I never saw either of them after that so I don't know how things worked out.      Nor do I know current laws on the subject.

On a side note both my friend and his wife now plan to move into a 1 bedroom home and do not intend to have a sofa or carpeted floors (no possible spare sleeping areas).       All these years later they are still dealing with adult children and step children who occasionally need a place to crash.      I saw another baby over at their house the other day but didn't ask who's baby it was.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

ChristianJ

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 04:58:16 PM »
"Give me food stamps or give me death!"
-Patrick Henry
Christian pastor & theologian

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal