Author Topic: 2021 Garden  (Read 5164 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: 2021 Garden
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2021, 03:42:01 PM »
We got apples near Ellijay last weekend so the natural thing for my wife to do was cook some stewed apples for future fried pies this Winter.  Well the freezer is full so this is the first year we have canned stewed apples.

Starlady

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2021, 09:00:47 PM »
Got my apples today, I'll be doing that this weekend!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2021, 09:10:49 AM »
I picked the first head of cabbage for the year.  It was nice sized.  I say was because the wife cut some of it off for boiled cabbage for supper last evening.  Boiled cabbage went along fine with chicken and dumplings.

Abigayle

« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2021, 10:10:10 AM »
We have one cabbage left from the last property, and the ones I planted this fall are small and not anywhere near heading up yet.
The other one I had became an Irish boiled dinner last week, with brisket, carrots, potatoes and my grandmothers soda bread recipe.  It cooked all day in the crock pot, yummm.  I paid 20.00 for a brisket, they used to be dirt cheap.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2021, 06:42:06 PM »
We are picking lettuce, cabbage and broccoli.  My neighbor down the road a ways called and said he had a bag of pecans for us.  We trade him blueberries for pecans.  I had written off getting any pecans this year as most do not have any this year.  Everybody had a bumper crop last year.

Abigayle

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2021, 05:59:00 PM »
R.W.S.  I am hearing this across the state.  Last year, at our place in Spalding Co.  We picked a year plus of pecans, on a big tree, we didn't even know produced.  Lately, I have heard other say that for three years, trees in their area did nothing.  Last year, it was raining pecans.  I was down to one jar, and a 5 lb bag still in the shell, which was in the freezer (still is).  A new friend of mine bought over a nice size bag of pecans and one of blueberries.  I had given her a really good muffin mix that I use, since she does gluten free.  We also exchanged jelly.  I gave her a grape and a three pepper.  She gave me a tomato and something else....
Our new neighbors two doors down did not have a pecan crop this year, so maybe it is every few years.  It takes Soooo long for them to produce, what a shame, if it is not yearly..
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal