Author Topic: Re-working my pump house after the hurricane  (Read 4861 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Re-working my pump house after the hurricane
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 08:50:26 AM »
Well,  I have terminated the batteries and my volt meter says I have 50.6 VDC input to the inverter. 

Now to get the charge controller in service.  With the circuit breakers still open in the combiner box, I turned on the 60 Amp DC circuit breaker for the charge controller.  That put battery power to the charge controller.  Using the display and the buttons under the display, I told it the charge controller that the batteries were Gel which is one of the selections from the menu.  Next I turned on the circuit breakers in the PV combiner box and the charge controller went to charging batteries.  Going thru the menu options the charge controller said the default battery temperature was warm.
  This reminded me that I had not hooked up the battery temperature sensor.  The charge controller does a better job if it knows the battery temperature.  The wire is pre-terminated and plugs into the charge controller.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:11:04 AM by RWS »

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2019, 09:08:36 PM »
Time to power up.  I checked the inverter input voltage at the circuit breaker input and verified proper polarity.  Turning on the large inverter circuit breaker gave a loud pop and made me jump even though I know this is normal somehow I always forget.  The inverter powers up with the "Stb" message. (Standby)

Pressing the on/off button (lower right) and the inverter starts up.  Since there is no grid power to synchronize to, it is ready to power off grid loads.  The battery indicator is not right.  I assume the default battery type is Liquid Lead Acid and I am using a Gel battery.  I will need to hook up a control panel so I can go into the configuration and change that.

Anyway I have power as evidenced by the pump house light working.

Next is to run the well pump.  I want to pull the pipe plug at the TEE at the well head but I can not get the plug loose.  I will need to look around the shop for a couple pieces of pipe I can slip over the pipe wrench handles to get more leverage.  If that doesn't work I will recruit help.  I do not want to beat on it with a hammer or heat it with a torch as it is hooked to PVC pipe.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:20:20 PM by RWS »

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2019, 06:21:24 PM »
Well,  I found a couple pieces of EMT to use as cheater bars.  It was still difficult, but I got the pipe plug out.

The pump started right up.  I was watching the load on the inverter display.  I did not see that startup surge that well pumps are notorious for.  That must be because the Grunfos pump has built in soft start.  The load came up to 2.32KW but after a minute dropped down some.
I see the battery indicator is tryng to straighten out.  I still need to read up on it some.

The water coming out of the top of the well was not as high as I think it should have been and then dropped off some.  I think I need to call a well man.  At least now we can run the pump to troubleshoot.

At least my compound has a functioning well off grid.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2021, 08:14:32 AM »
My neighbor wanted to use a little water off my well pump.  I told him the pump did not work.  The pump would run but did not build enough pressure to shut off with the pressure switch.  He asked if he could have a well man look at it.  Of course I agreed.  Well yesterday the well man showed up.  The pressure switch was broke and pressure gauge was not working.  The volume control was faulty and the air bleed needed replacing.  Not bad at all.  I figured the well had caved in.  Anyway my neighbor paid the bill and my backup well is now operational.  It is backup for my house well and is piped to my house if I open a valve at the property line.  A little more progress to being self sufficient.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal