Author Topic: Do you subscribe to/suggest any magazines?  (Read 2114 times)

Lilburner

Do you subscribe to/suggest any magazines?
« on: January 20, 2019, 11:25:19 AM »
I don't take any magazines except the digital editions of the ones that come with my NRA and ARRL memberships.

But every time I see a Mother Earth News I buy it. I noticed yesterday that what they call their preferred subscription is only $12.95, and includes access to every issue all the way back to 1970. So I'm going to do that.

A friend suggested Hobby Farm magazine. I'll probably subscribe to that too, after checking out an issue.

What magazines do you subscribe to or suggest?

Incidentally, did y'all know that there is both a Farmer's Almanac, and an Old Farmer's Almanac? Both of them are over 200 years old.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Country Singer

Re: Do you subscribe to/suggest any magazines?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
I used to subscribe to Backwoods Home (and will likely start subscribing again now that they're back in print).  They also have a companion magazine called Self-Reliance.

I haven't read any of the Self-Reliance issues, but I enjoyed Backwoods Home...it used to even have a column in each edition by Massad Ayoob, but I don't know if he'll be writing for the new iteration.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 04:23:04 PM »
Mother Earth News every year, and usually rotate between Hobby farm and Mary Janes farm. Not sure you would be into Mary Jane but its a good gift for a woman in your life.

I really like the Backwoods man, had some beer bread recipes that were great. Mountain primitive kind of stuff.
Psalms 127:3-5

tlwagg

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 07:24:06 PM »
Mother Earth, Grit and The Backwoodsman. The Backwoodsman has some fun projects.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Starlady

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:38:23 PM »
Backwoods Home has just gone back to a print edition instead of digital.

I have over 24 years of it, just last year was digital onlywhen the original publisher retired.  His son has taken it over and is back in print.

I haz a happy!  They cover everything from solar to regular construction to canning to animal husbandry.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

John Galt 1

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 04:59:53 PM »
Mother Earth news is good but I prefer Grit.

For keeping up with world events I prefer Bloomberg magazine.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

cope

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 01:19:53 PM »
backwoods home again now its back in print.
Mother Earth news
cq magazine and the other ham mag I can't think of.
self reliance magazine
several wood working magazines
online I subscribe to spectrum monitor a ham related magazine from some of the people from popular communications.

Nemo

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 06:11:17 PM »
Any one of the 3 NRA magazine.

American Hunter, American Rifleman and Americas First Freedom.

Free with membership.  Really ought to get one.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal