Author Topic: Kid's Hike  (Read 2038 times)

BennyMG1

Kid's Hike
« on: January 24, 2019, 04:01:41 PM »
I'm planning on taking my nine year old and two friends with their nine year olds on a short hike. The kids will learn some very basic compass skills where they get to locate a small velvet bag containing five dollar coins. Each child will get to locate their own "treasure". They will learn to build a small fire and then get to warm their lunch over it. I'm also planning on teaching them how to use an emergency whistle and how to build a simple shelter using the small tarp and cotton string in their packs.

I would appreciate any suggestions or input for activities. Remember, there kids are 9 years old with attention spans not too much longer than my memory.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

tlwagg

Re: Kid's Hike
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 05:50:37 PM »
Hey Benny I'd teach knot tying the bowline and one handed bowline are two great knots to know if they don't already know them. There are several important for use in wilderness survival such as lashings for building a shelter. Timber hitch for dragging large pieces of wood and all the knot need to set up a camp site.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Searchboss

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 06:03:09 PM »
I would suggest that you keep it simple and easy, but keep them engaged. It really depends upon the child's ability and temperament. 

Make the hike over 2 or 3 legs. On each leg provide a single compass heading that might coincide with the trail route (or not). Add a flag (bandana, surveyor tape, hat, etc.) at the end of each leg so that they can confirm that they are on the right heading and know when they get there. Once they find the first flag (I tried to place my flags behind a tree or bush so it was not so obvious) have them set up for the second leg to reinforce the concept. If you only have once compass, make each child responsible for navigating a different leg. If the terrain/foliage allow, the heading for the final leg could be slightly different for each child so that they end up at their own "treasure" individually to make it more fun. This will take some precise work up front on your part to ensure everything works. At that age if they each have their own compass it might not be productive to use more than 3 short legs.

For their first exposure to land navigation I would not confuse them by adding distance counting to the mix as this usually is very time consuming to learn, and they probably won't get much out of it, given the other activities you have planned. If you feel you need to give them a distance, keep it simple such as no more than 100 steps, or whatever works for the situation.

With land navigation, as the saying goes, "the devil is in the details". Make sure that you go out and validate the route IN ADVANCE to ensure that every bearing for each leg works like you want it to. It sounds like a lot of fun. Let us know how it works out.

Country Singer

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 07:58:05 PM »
Depending on time of year, maybe add in some easy plant identification.  Point out both edibles (easy stuff like getting the nectar from honeysuckle) as well as things like poison ivy.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

upacreek

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 09:55:17 PM »
How about looking for signs of animals - scat, markings on trees, paw prints, sounds, smells.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 07:15:34 AM »
I think everyone has hit on alot of key points. At this age capturing there attention and leaving a lasting impression are important, you might be the one to plant the seed for a future outdoorsman. I always bring packets of hot chocolate for my son so when im drinking my coffee he feels apart of it. Something majical about sitting around a fire 🔥. Something i always remembered when i was a kid was building a shelter from scratch.

Your a good Dad
Psalms 127:3-5

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 07:16:05 AM »
Hiking with kids is a good experience for them.  We had 2 boys and started hiking in state park trails.  We taught them to read the trail markings.  We also helped them to keep up with where we were on the trail using map, sign and time.  When a little older we hiked the National Forrest trails.  One thing we taught them was when hiking with a group and you came to a trail intersection to wait for the group before proceeding.  If you happened to take the wrong turn or the rest of the party took the other path, disaster would be close at hand.

I am happy to report that when my boys were 10 and 12 they did their first overnight on the AT by them selves.  When they came off the trail the next day, you guessed it,  they were fighting.  Typical for tired boys.

BennyMG1

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 11:02:46 AM »
Just wanted to update everyone. We threw together a short four hour hike for two nine year olds. They had an absolute ball. The first thing they did was to follow a single compass bearing to follow until they located a small pouch that contained five, one dollar coins. I had set up a small area with cinder blocks and a grill grate and let them put a small fire together and get it going pretty good. Then we let them heat up their lunch over the hot coals. After some more hiking, the kids got to build a small shelter using some cotton string and a small tarp. All in all it was a very fun and educational trip that the kids loved and want to do again. Keep the ideas coming. We will probably ad in some fishing next time.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal