Author Topic: Making a List of Potential Disasters  (Read 4275 times)

tlwagg

Re: Making a List of Potential Disasters
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 06:26:06 PM »
Just a couple of years ago they were all talking abut a nearby island that caused a mega-tsunami that brought boulders from the bottom of the Atlantic and left them on top of the Bahamas. Same situation different island.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

8greenbeans

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 08:27:01 AM »
Well, for the sake of it all, I'll add tsunamis since there does seem to be at least a slim possibility. I think at that point it'll be essentially surviving mass evacuation rather than surviving in place. Which is also something to prep for - mass evacuation for any reason.

Well, now it won't let me modify the original post for some reason so will try later. If I still can't then I'll update the list here in a reply!

USMC Veteran, LEO Mama
Navy MIL, USAF Vet Mama
Army Daughter
8 Beans
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
3 Beans-in-law, 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

tlwagg

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 01:17:50 PM »
If we have to prepare for mass evacuation don't forget physical fitness in case we have to leave our cars behind.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 09:52:36 AM »
Food for thought.    I thing you have "Civil War" covered under civil unrest and also on power interruption.  Here is an article however relevant you deem it to be.  Talks about what would happen in a Liberal vs Conservative Civil War.
https://www.dcclothesline.com/2019/03/29/why-the-treasonous-left-will-suffer-a-brutal-loss-in-the-coming-civil-war-as-power-water-and-food-supply-lines-are-cut-by-rural-patriots-defending-america/

Not to mention does the author have is conclusions right.

cope

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 10:50:14 AM »
ive done this before I always break them down into Manmade and Acts of Nature.
So your chemical spills, terrorism, active shooters, things like that man made of course.

Acts of nature floods tornados etc etc

Then once you have everything listed you should go thru and label each disaster 1-how ever many you have 1 should be the most possible to happen 2 should be the next etcetc.
So in Georgia a thunderstorm is one of the most likely things to happen. An EMP would be one of the lower.
Then you should see how can you prepare for the top 5 most likely scenarios to see how you can make yourself more resilient.

I hope all this makes sense.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 12:47:13 PM »
I like to rate them as to how severe the consequences.  Take EMP, although not very likely the consequences could result in 90% fatalities nation wide.  Do I want to be one of the 90% ?  NO, so what do I do about it. 

The next one down is Civil Dis-order.  In this case some services however intermittent may be available.  How should I prepare?  My answer is the same way as for an EMP.  The survival rate should be higher than 10% by far.

By preparing for the worst we are also preparing for lesser disasters.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 11:35:06 AM »
A major  flood is a form of weather related disaster.  The down the road problems may be felt nation wide.  With a million acres flooded we are being told that beef prices (meat) will go up this summer due to a lean supply.  Now all we need is a couple more disasters to compound the situation.

https://www.dcclothesline.com/2019/04/01/midwest-apocalypse-according-to-satellite-data-at-least-1-million-acres-of-u-s-farmland-devastated-by-floods/

Got a garden ? ?

Starlady

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »
"Got a garden ? ?"

And your own meat supply?  Chickens, ducks, deer, turkey, dove, rabbits!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

primitive

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 10:11:19 PM »
Financial/economic disaster is number one on my list and the reason I'm trying to take prepping more seriously. Curious if anyone else sees this as a likely and perhaps imminent threat?

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 02:07:25 PM »
Financial/economic disaster is number one on my list and the reason I'm trying to take prepping more seriously. Curious if anyone else sees this as a likely and perhaps imminent threat?
Yes, but I would think it would be a part of "Civil Unrest" either contributing to it or as a result of it.

Gunner

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2019, 02:16:47 AM »
-Tornado
-Wildfire
-Hurricane
-Ice Storm
-Earthquake

If my list scares anyone, it should …. all of these events HAVE happened in our state in the past 5 or 6 years..... Nuclear Plant disasters.

Well that's my list.... I know what events Im looking at.....

U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

crplhood

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2019, 10:18:23 AM »
My List:
-Tornadoes/Dericho/Wind Events - Eff these things with a giant stick. They stress me out bad ever since our town was hit in 07'
-Winter Outages - Not the biggest threat here in NW ga since they pass quickly, but still is a serious arse pain

Those are really the only two I worry about. But as an IT dude and amateur ecologist, this are the other threats I recognize as lesser possibilities but dont specifically prep for:
-Grid impairment via cyber terrorism.
-Natural or malicious spread of infection.
-Heck, that's about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal