Author Topic: 2019 Garden  (Read 170 times)

RWS

2019 Garden
« on: February 06, 2019, 07:05:07 AM »
Last year was a bad year for me and tomatoes.  It started off with the fact that the type of tomatoes I always grow were not available at the store.  All they had were new "Hybrid" verities.  So this year I ordered the seed of my choice online and am starting my own plants.  I figured 18 plants would be all that I would need.  We plan to can tomatoes, make salsa, tomato soup and spaghetti sauce.  Then I plan to save some seed for next year or two.  I planted seed Jan 29 and today is Feb 6, so 8 days and they are starting to come up.

RWS

Re: 2019 Garden
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 01:55:48 PM »
Mid January I planted two rows of English Peas.  Today they are up and about to start climbing the chicken wire fence.  Potatoes were planted Feb 12 and have not come up yet.  Corn was planted 7 days ago so I should see some up on Sunday 3-3.  I was shooting for 3-1 and it may happen with soil temp of 57 Deg F. 
I planted tomato seeds "Beefsteak" on 1-29.  Today I transplanted to peat pots to grow some more roots and get temperature used to the outdoor temps.  Squash plants got bigger pots as I will have to hold them out longer than the tomatoes. 

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 08:55:20 PM »
Dang chickens just cleared out all of the carrots, i guess it made a good place to find worms because they went to town.

RWS i hope to grow enough this year to restock the canning pantry two, last years tomatoes were rough.

RWS

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 01:21:29 PM »
Well I had to do something with the garlic I dug up the other day.  I found some small bamboo poles, washed the garlic and laid it between two poles.  I tied them together and started looking for a place to hang them.  I found an unused wall in the utility room with a pair of inverters mounted on the opposite wall.   Next I installed some eye bolts into the 2x4 studs in the wall on 16" centers.  The garlis will now hang there and dry for a while.

RWS

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »
The English peas are about knee high.  I am looking for buds any day.  The potatoes are up.  The corn is up and I planted 18 Summer squash plants in a row.  Don't know what I will do with all the anticipated squash, but I planted them anyway.  I am waiting for some Blue Lake green beans to sprout in the Biodome so I can plant them in the garden.  I need the seed starting space for cucumbers. 
The corn is so small it does not show up in the picture well, but I do have 4ea 50ft rows of Silver King that made it thru the cold spell.
Strawberries are ready here.  Wife & I went and picked strawberries today.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:21:43 PM by RWS »

RWS

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 09:19:09 AM »
Since Spring is March 20th, it is appropriate for the first bloom on the English peas to appear.
We also have camellias and azaleas in bloom.