Author Topic: Bulk order from dollar Tree?/Dollar Tree Winners & Losers  (Read 4323 times)

Lilburner

Bulk order from dollar Tree?/Dollar Tree Winners & Losers
« on: February 14, 2019, 03:34:01 PM »
Anyone ever bulk order from dollartree.com?

I'm thinking about it. It would be handy for storage for a lot of the things I like - many of them toiletries. Case of toothpaste, case of mouthwash, etc. It would be cleaner than storing things individually. Also wouldn't have to do the shopping. It ships to store - you just go in and pick up your cases. Also, sometimes a particular store won't always carry what I like. or one will be out of something for a while.

What do y'all like and not like at Dollar Tree? Here are a few of mine.

Toiletries: I like most of them: Body wash, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, mouthwash. Most of my toiletries come from here.

First aid/health: Some things - not adhesive bandages (I just about buy only Band-Aid Tough Strips). I get 2x2 gauze pads, triple antibiotic, travel packs of name brand pain relievers and such. tussin cough suppressant, sleep aid... I used to like their fake liquid Benadryl, but I think they discontinued it.

Tools: Not much. Usually something disposable - got a big pack of foam brushes there yesterday for a project and I'm going to drop them straight in the trash after. A few good things for backup or putting in a bag as a secondary.

Food: Nothing really. I used to enjoy getting bread, chips, and cookies, but I don't really eat much of those things any more.

Cleaning supplies: I like the oxygen bleach powder and the LA Totally Awesome general purpose cleaner, but that's about it. I'm pretty picky about laundry (Tide/Tandil) and dish (Dawn) detergent. They have small bottles of Dawn if I need to pop in and grab something without a full-blown grocery store trip. The mops, brooms, etc., are kind of a pathetic joke.

Paper/plastic/foil products: No to the paper towels and toilet paper. The ziplocks aren't good for food, but OK for collecting up things to organize. The foil pans are quite nice.

Kitchen stuff: Nothing stellar, but quite usable for the most part. I use a lot of the utensils for camping. The shears, along with the same basic kind at Harbor Freight are must haves.

Stationery: I get most of my stationery items here. I'm going to lose the pens before they run out anyway, and what can really go wrong with a paper clip? Take a pass on the little notebooks if you're outfitting a bag, though, and splurge on Rite in the Rain products.

Storage: Some nice baskets and buckets and such: Also the little bitty containers that come in a 10 or 12 pack are nice for putting small quantities of things in a bag.

What do y'all like or dislike?

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

bountyhunter

Re: Bulk order from dollar Tree?/Dollar Tree Winners & Losers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 04:51:18 PM »
If the stores will let you do that, awesome. But, all we have here in Podunk is a Dollar General and a Family Dollar. Employees aint the smartest and neither are the managers and most here wont allow it. They say the prices are low already, but you can by them individually with no sort of discount....
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 04:56:00 PM »
I like Family Dollar a bit better, most everything really is only a dollar.  I have tried some of their canned goods in a pinch when I remembered something and didn't want to hit a grocery store.  They were not out of date as I expected and they are as good as the WalMart house brand.

Their plastic bags have been good and I love all the baskets - I found 6 small/medium oval ones that fit in the bottom of my closet, so I sort my laundry as I take it off.  I also use their small laundry baskets to sell extra chicks and ducklings at the auction, since they can't be in cardboard anymore.

I buy TP at Sams by the case, but FD's large tissue boxes are cheaper.  I only keep a couple of cases of paper towels on hand as I've switched to cloth for everything except dog accidents and me dropping an egg, lol!   I have 7 of their brooms, 1 in every coop, 1 in my 'convenience' store, 2 in the house and 1 on the big front porch, along with the matching dustbins.  They seem to be holding up pretty well.

I've picked up some extra kitchen tools to store: spatulas, nylon spoons, can openers, brushes. etc.

And I check out the clothing - I've picked up some neat tees and decent house shoes/slippers that I can go outside in if I need to.  But it's always hit or miss on those.

I buy a lot of their gift wrapping bags and little things to fill stockings or gift bags for church events, pencils and spray bottles.  Cheap paint brushes for one time jobs or just touch ups when I don't want to dirty my good set.

Seeds when they go on sale for 5 or 10 cents a pack.

I wouldn't be interested in any case lot purchases but it's a great idea for those just ramping up.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 11:19:38 AM »
If the stores will let you do that, awesome.

It's specific to Dollar Tree. All of their stores are corporate, incidentally - no franchising. I learned this when I thought a Dollar Tree in my NEGA town would be a good business opportunity.

I don't go to Dollar General or Family Dollar much. I just never really "took" to them.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

bountyhunter

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 11:32:04 AM »
Dollar General and Family Dollar is all we have in the respects of the Dollar Tree. So I have to go with what I have or drive 40 miles. But, we do have a Roses Express............bout the same as a Dollar General but with a little more selection.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 01:19:32 PM »
We have a place like that called Fred's. Kind of a stop gap between Dollar General and driving to Walmart. They have a few clothes (not for me of course), some furniture, and even a hardware department.
~ Daniel Webster

bountyhunter

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 01:34:29 PM »
We had a Fred's but they closed the store here for some reason.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)

Slclarry

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 03:55:27 AM »
We order the Gossner Milk from Dollar Tree regularly. Its a lot easier to keep up with the dates and rotate when you leave it in the shipping box. We also order the jars of mushrooms and canned asparagus, which we eat a lot of.

We’ve ordered from them without a problem for about 5 years until my last order last month. They updated  the website and it wouldn’t let me order. Phoned it in and it was at the store in less than 2 weeks.

aces

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 01:49:51 PM »
I'll tell you why I like Gossner's milk.  It's from my childhood territory (they are out of Logan/Northern Utah), and my brother used to drive for that company to pick up milk at area farms.
So it's coming from where the air is cleaner and so are the Rocky Mountain streams the cows drink from.

Then there's the shelf stable packaging of course, which is the main point of this product form.
I have not ordered it from their website since I live within a block of a Dollar Tree store.

I really like Dollar General since they are the same or less than Walmart on many things, and I don't have to stand in the lines in Atlanta area Wallys to check out.
They do not have as wide of a selection, but I found a lot of things I need there.   Since I live close to a couple of these stores,  I stop once a week to haunt their clearance shelves since I have picked up great deals there including real prep useful items like Gulf Wax and canning lids (city folks can a lot less in my area.) I like to keep a running list ready for the Saturdays when they offer $5 off $25 purchase (in the phone app or on a previous receipt if you stopped during the prior 6 days.)

Abigayle

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 01:36:40 PM »
We only have dollar stores nearby.  I like their little fans, that can be hung on the wall of the chicken coop and the brooms.  Watch the dust pans, while they look sturdy, many have a thick ridge, making them less thorough..
I tried some of the canned goods, (clover), while the expiration dates were great, the food inside tasted like mush (one example, asparagus).  When we grow, can and freeze so much of our own food, many store-bought just don't measure up.  One exception, Bushes baked beans.  I just can not can beans that good.  I do make a fair Boston bean (that I can).
Many people say not to buy liquid bleach at the dollar store, that it is not as good and will not store well (U-tube stuff).  I sometimes buy baking soda, borax, stuff like that to make my own laundry soap. If I can get Kerr or Ball lids, I get them, but this is hit and miss.  Both stores in our area and clean and either new or remodeled.  The staff is somewhat helpful, and pleasant.  Toothpaste yes, bandaids, no, unless tough strips...
Ariel

tlwagg

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 08:38:45 PM »
I can't remember the number, (because it's and odd one), but if your buy more than that number you get a discount. Next time I go by there I'll ask or you can next time your there.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Gunner

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 02:24:00 AM »
I like going thru the dollar stores in our area.  We have both Family Dollar and Doller General.... I actually found aluminum water bottles for a $1 each.... I think that I bought 6 or 8 for the BOBs....  If I see them again... Im getting them for my grandsons... to go along with all the other things that I send them for "camping".... ;).   There is nothing wrong with the dollar stores... it all depends on what you are looking for at the time.  I like going thru and seeing what might be a good prep and going back later and getting stuff like toothbrushes in 6 packs.
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

xXBONESXx

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 03:13:40 PM »
Many people do not want to use a credit card as every transaction is being monitored and traced. This is why they want to allow this fake flu to destroy cash.  I would never fill up using a credit card. When you need it others need it so they will use the NDAA to confiscate known prepped supplies....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal