Author Topic: Shut up already  (Read 3508 times)

upacreek

Shut up already
« on: March 06, 2019, 08:37:04 AM »
I was volunteering at someone's garden yesterday and the topic turned to the tornadoes that just tore through AL and GA.  One of the other volunteers was almost in the monster storm's path.  I asked if they had a basement.  When she said no, the homeowner where we were piped up that they had a basement, but her neighbor had a whole bomb shelter with food ("You know, that kind that lasts forever.") and water and anything you could need.  She pointed out the house and told 3 people she's met once before of a goldmine.  She added in that if anything ever happens, they're going to the neighbor's house to beg for food.

It was a great reminder for someone like me that likes to babble.  Shut up already.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

BennyMG1

Re: Shut up already
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:57:42 AM »
I couldn't agree more!!! I have stopped encouraging friends and family to prep since it insinuates that I do. Someone asked me recently if I still did and I told them we just didn't have time for it, but I still felt it was a good idea. I myself have had some pretty egregious violations in OPSEC trying to encourage people that I care about that prepping is important. I recently read that there are only 3 million preppers in the US. The other 315 million are not. The odds are not in our favor.  OPSEC is essential for safety of you and your immediate family.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 09:52:56 AM »
I couldn't agree more!!! I have stopped encouraging friends and family to prep since it insinuates that I do. Someone asked me recently if I still did and I told them we just didn't have time for it, but I still felt it was a good idea. I myself have had some pretty egregious violations in OPSEC trying to encourage people that I care about that prepping is important. I recently read that there are only 3 million preppers in the US. The other 315 million are not. The odds are not in our favor.  OPSEC is essential for safety of you and your immediate family.
Recently I was talking to a widow I know.  She told me her late husband had 5 old pick up trucks.  She sold 4 and kept 1.  She had the oldest truck fixed up & painted.  She said " It doesn't have a computer and may run when the rest are broke".  She is the one that is planning to build an off grid cabin soon.  I believe we have another prepper in the neighborhood.

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 03:00:15 PM »
I'm pretty serious about OPSEC. I go so far as to use PO Box for my ham license.

When people around me ask if I'm a prepper, I tell them "Prepping for a cost-free retirement".
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

elandil

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 05:54:52 PM »
I'm pretty serious about OPSEC. I go so far as to use PO Box for my ham license.

When people around me ask if I'm a prepper, I tell them "Prepping for a cost-free retirement".

i've been giving a lot of serious thought about a PO box lately. My biggest debate is between an actual Postal PO box, or going with something at one of the "Box Stores" so I could still have packages sent there. Only downside to that is closest one is up in Calhoun, so about 8-10 miles.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 05:58:29 PM »
There's a new thing now where you can get a street address associated with your USPS post office box, and receive carrier deliveries.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 10:02:10 PM »
I thought this topic deserved a bump, due to the current situation surrounding us...or should I say "situations".
One difficulty is when you have several big gardens, and livestock, your neighbors can see it from acres away, unless you are in an extremely remote location.  That idea is sounding better all thee time.  We have big trees lining much of our property, but not all of it.  I love to show off my canning to friends.  Afterwards, I often wish I hadn't.  Prepper friends are different.  They are not going to be the ones showing up asking for food. Time to rethink how much we show and tell.  We have couched our granddaughter not to share any information about us, or our stuff.  She probably thinks we are nuts...

revckd

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 10:56:17 AM »
Yes it did.
That is part of why I am becoming just a lurker on many sites, lol. I too have made my share of mistakes with OPSEC. Problem is once it is out, it is out. I will have to check into linking a PO Box... I like that
revckd
KM4PHQ

Bellatores et Venatores in Christo
A prudent person foresees danger ahead and takes precautions. ~ Proverbs 27:12

Doomsayer

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 08:06:04 PM »
I recently read that there are only 3 million preppers in the US. The other 315 million are not.

It's starting to change. More people are at least stocking up some food.

61% of Americans agree with the concern that the U.S. could be on the verge of another Civil
War. Additionally, 52% of consumers have also stockpiled food or essential goods in
anticipation of social unrest tied to a resurgence of COVID-19 in the coming months and/ or the
election

https://engagious.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Back-to-Normal-10.1.20-FINAL.pdf

Most of them probably wouldn't call themselves preppers and most of them are probably not stocking nearly enough, but this does make it more normal to mention that you're stocking up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal