Author Topic: FLU  (Read 1905 times)

BennyMG1

FLU
« on: March 06, 2019, 08:50:48 AM »
Even though I'm no longer directly involved with the pandemic task force here in Georgia, I do try to keep abreast of what's going on. This Flu season started off relatively mild and it seemed the vaccine was effective this year. About three weeks ago we started seeing an uptick in the number of people coming to the ER for treatment of influenza. The percentage of positive flu tests has been steadily increasing. Since part of my job requires me to review labwork, I have been taking notice of the flu. Here is what I'm seeing...

We are nearly at 30% positive flu tests (actual last count was 29.54%). This doesn't count the patients that are symptomatic that we don't test. The way this translates is that nearly 1/3 of people presenting to the ER with "cold" symptoms are positive for the flu. The number is probably much higher. So if you see someone out in public that says they have a cold, there's a decent chance it could be flu.

The primary flu we are seeing is Flu A. The last batch of labs I went through was exclusively Type A.

The point of posting this is to encourage people to be careful. Carry alcohol hand gel and use it frequently. Think about this: The number one thing people do in their cars when alone is to pick their nose. I doubt if any of those people wash their hands before pumping gas or going into a place of business. Wash your hands often. If they start drying out, use a good hand lotion. Try to stay away from people who appear sick.

This emergence of flu has occurred late in the season and has caught us off guard.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

mylast4

Re: FLU
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 06:14:52 PM »
Today, I worked on medical reps for dehydration.  It was sparked by lilburner’s discussion about water not being enough if too dehydrated, which can happen too easily in GA or if you get really sick.  For now, I’m making individual gatorade packs for 16 oz drinks.  I think my individual packs will come out to .12 cents each in the end :)
You can ask the same question hoping for a different answer, but the truth never changes” me

elandil

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 05:28:05 AM »
Today, I worked on medical reps for dehydration.  It was sparked by lilburner’s discussion about water not being enough if too dehydrated, which can happen too easily in GA or if you get really sick.  For now, I’m making individual gatorade packs for 16 oz drinks.  I think my individual packs will come out to .12 cents each in the end :)

Curious about your packaging. What are you using to hold the powder?

I found some "smoothie straws" at Walmart that seems would be perfect size for the powder to fill a standard water bottle, but have had issues getting ends to seal.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Searchboss

Re: FLU (Drink Powder Packaging)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 07:21:27 AM »
When I was building our GHB's and 1st. Aid Kits I was frustrated in not being able to find drink mixes like Tang, Gatorade, and Pedialyte in individual single serving portions.

Please share your packaging ideas. I am sure that there are many of us would would like to make our own packaging if we can.

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 10:33:28 AM »
Country Singer turned me on to some water bottle tube packaged electrolytes, but if you want to do your own, they're not as concentrated.

There are something called "Boba straws" at the international grocery that are huge - made to suck up tapioca pearls if you're comfortable sealing straws.

But for something reusable, maybe plastic cigar tubes?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

mylast4

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 10:59:34 PM »
Well Ben and a I talked about using food saver to seal up snack size ziplocks, so this is not a long term storage solution.  It will be rotational for now.  But at least we can throw a few in different bags for now, especially go bag to travel 30 miles home from work and it it’s summer time.   I’ve thought about saving the mylar type packaging from Single serving drink packs I already use just for flavor., I.e., crystal light  and refill with Gatorade, then seal with food saver..  Sounds like a lot of work but yesterday I was able to quickly measure pour and close 40 servings in no time, around .10 cents each.  I wish I had saved up  single serving packs already.  By the way, there  are single serving electrolyte products out there like Advocare’s rehydrate but at  $2.00 each!!! No way.  I’ll let you know how reusing single serve drink packets works. 
You can ask the same question hoping for a different answer, but the truth never changes” me

YellowRose

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »
I am curious how the re-sealing goes.  I have some RecoverORS packets in my preps for this purpose.  But at $1/stick, it does get pricey, and I don't have as many as I'd like.

mylast4

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 11:27:53 PM »
Found these on amazon...says they are leak proof as well.  I found others as well. At this price, you can make your own without breaking the bank.

mylast4

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 11:56:05 PM »
Next pic

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal