Author Topic: Roll Call March 16, 2019  (Read 266 times)

Ravenwood1950

• Bugged Out
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
Roll Call March 16, 2019
« on: March 16, 2019, 02:08:20 PM »
Another week of deep cleaning and discarding of old papers, reorganizing of craft items and rearranging things in my computer room/ham shack. I have been ruthless in re-homing craft supplies that I no longer love and know I won't use. Beginning to see the end in sight..but then I will move on to the sewing/needlework room upstairs for a total redo. The builder came and staked out the new garden shed, hope they get started on it soon. My son has almost finished moving his tools, woodworking equipment and other things here. He has already been a help by picking up branches and yard debris so I could mow. Say a prayer that he gets the gardening bug and wants to learn to garden with me, ha ha.
Check in with us folks and let us know how you are doing. Mother is doing ok, just tires easily.
Ravenwood

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
Re: Roll Call March 16, 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 04:22:49 PM »
Don't know how we got two topics, but I've cut & pasted mine here.

Had a VERY close call with the Floyd County tornado the other night!  Just before I lost both internet AND TV from the heavy rain, I got the dogs, a few valuables and got my safe space ready.  A few minutes later TWC announced that "if you live between Cedartown and Rome, you should take shelter now".  Holy sh*t!  You really don't like hearing the names of towns around you with bad weather, LOL.  Started raining really, really hard and I lost the services.  So into the safe place we settled, after I had to peek outside.   Shortly after getting settled down, I got a tornado WARNING on my cell phone, of all things (I don't have consistent service up here, especially with heavy cloud cover).  Harder rain and blowing, a light rumbling that wasn't thunder and my ears popped.  Glad I had slightly opened a couple of windows - to prevent blowout when the super low pressure goes over or very near you.  Then everything slowed down and things were fine, I even posted a half hour later, when I got internet back,  on FB that I was pretty sure it hadn't touched down.  Of course, I went back out to watch the sky.  Next day  I found it had touched down just under 2 miles from my house!  Must have been swirling right over us.  But everybody and everything is fine, I don't even have any large branches down.

Got 6 babies hatched total, 5 chocolates and one probably blue (the crested one I mentioned last week) Ancona.  Hoping for girls!  I don't vent sex so I have to wait 6-7 weeks to tell if they are boys or girls.  And man!, they can stink up a room pretty quickly.

The lemon grass finally sprouted and I need to get all the Goji berries and Rhubarb into separate pots already.

More later, I'm off to get layer feed.

So, I'm back...……...it's COLD outside!  Found a great use for the numerous 7' long stalks of the Jerusalem Artichoke - they make great kindling!

Took a detour on the way back from TSC to check out the tornado damage, it snapped a few foot wide trees near the bases and took the siding off a mobile home but didn't stay on the ground long - there's no discernable path.  Lots of guys out chopping wood today. 

Prayers for Amish & his family, his MIL passed away the day they brought her home.

Y'all have a great week - no rain in sight for 6 DAYS!!!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

VoodooMD

• New Bugout Bag
  • "Sometimes you just gotta let the low side drag!"
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 10:16:28 PM »
Good evening!!!- My name is Rhett and I am currently in the region 6 area here in Georgia! Fairly new to this site.....but LOVE all the topics discussed here!!!-- Looking forward to meeting folks from here at the Spring Campout in May!!
Best wishes to all and STAY VIGILANT!

Rhett

BennyMG1

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 09:08:15 AM »
It’s been an “under the weather” week ALL week. I missed a day of work for illness for the first time in three years. So not much got done except a fair amount of reading articles from “The Organic Prepper” and planning for the spring campout. I also watched a lot of news...,which I had not really been keeping up with. I can’t believe the stuff they are passing off as news now. It’s all distraction.

This morning I woke up with a sore throat, but generally feeling better.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

upacreek

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 12:30:43 PM »
I haven't done much this week due to commitments that kept me home bound.  Mon, Tues, Fri, and Sat all had volunteer garden stuff going on.  Just a few hours each, but enough to park me at the house instead of fixing up my other place.  Wednesday grounded me with having a teenager with a girlfriend coming over.  Go figure my offer to bring them up to help me didn't get any traction.  Thursday was exciting though!  I finally bit the bullet and got 2 HVAC systems and a water heater replaced.  All were original to the house, so 23 years old.  My gosh, what a deal.  All for under $9000 total.  Some shmuck that promised me it would "rain men all day" tried to sell me the exact same HVAC units (no water heater) for over $14,000.  I now have to pick a hot water temperature instead of just pegging the levers to the hottest.  Weird.  Checking this expense off brings me one step closer to escaping this place.  I transplanted the elderberry from my vase to pots. I just hope I'm not killing them.  The picture is from last week.  A couple had roots that were much smaller.  A couple were at least double.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

elandil

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 08:12:12 AM »
Went back and picked up the refillable version of the mouse/rat bait boxes I posted last week. The refillable has a bait box and 15 baits, so hopefully that lasts a while. While there picked up some lettuce seeds to try out in the hydroponic system I picked up from Lilburner's post the other day.
While out shopping I found the boxed stuffing mix on sale 2/$1 so bought several boxes to put back.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Amish

• Bag Half Full
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 03:25:13 PM »
Tough week but we are making it through. Thanks everyone for the prayers. MIL passed early Wed morning only 6 hours after coming home Tuesday night. We are sadden by the loss but thankful the lords mercy. I did manage to get some work in on building a new chicken coop for my baby chicks.

RWS

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 05:29:08 PM »
The rain finally slowed down so I can do some Spring cleaning.  Solar panels are maintenance free??  Right!  So when the Spring pollen coats them over and you start loosing electricity, it is a serious thing.  Two days and I am 50% done with cleaning the pollen off the solar panels.  Before & after pictures.