Author Topic: Asking for input. 9mm rifle/carbine  (Read 3345 times)

BennyMG1

Asking for input. 9mm rifle/carbine
« on: March 19, 2019, 06:29:01 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with either the Hi Point 995 9mm carbine or the KelTec Sub 2000 9mm? I haven’t seen any bad reviews on the 995, but nothing stellar either. Same with the KelTec although the KelTec does get big points due to you being able to choose the magazine. I’d just like to hear if anyone had actually shot one of these and your thoughts.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

bountyhunter

Re: Asking for input. 9mm rifle/carbine
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:34:43 AM »
No experience with those specific weapons. I did have a friend that had a Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm. A good solid accurate rifle for sure. Just my .02
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Amish

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:17:50 AM »
I have a Ruger 9mm carbine and absolutely love it! I will bring it to the campout and let you take it to the range. It is extremely accurate at 100yrds on cold shots but after 10 rounds your group will begin to drift a inch or so as it heats up. Overall a great gun and one of top 2 go to rifles hunting in heavy brush area's. I have harvested 5 deer with it and have never had one go more than 50 yards.

nj_m715

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 01:13:04 PM »
I had one of the original HP 9mm rifles. it was ok for what it is,
it went bang when I pulled the trigger, I hit what I aimed at. no complaints really
but I suggest spending a little more for something a little nicer if you can afford to
I hear they made some improvements since then, but I'm not familiar with the newer ones.

RevJammer

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 06:11:28 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with either the Hi Point 995 9mm carbine or the KelTec Sub 2000 9mm? I haven’t seen any bad reviews on the 995, but nothing stellar either. Same with the KelTec although the KelTec does get big points due to you being able to choose the magazine. I’d just like to hear if anyone had actually shot one of these and your thoughts.

I have the HiPoint 995.  I love it!  It is fun to shoot, relatively accurate (for what it is), cheap enough that I don't feel bad leaving it in a vehicle.  My ONLY negative to this carbine is the magazine capacity.  Hi Point mags only hold 10 rounds, but there is an aftermarket mag (not promag) that holds 15, but I haven't tried them yet.

I have and would always recommend this little carbine.  Just remember, it's a "pistol" caliber carbine...  Of all the people that I have personally talked to that owned one have nothing negative to say about them (except for mag capacity).  Most of those who have sold/traded theirs away have regretted it for one reason or another.

Hope this helps.

RJ

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 06:18:28 PM »
I'm familiar with both.

In most cases, I prefer the Sub2K. Especially in terms of accuracy, magazine availibility, and above-all - portablility. If you pick the Glock variant, you can get 33 round magazines all day long for $10 and fit the gun and say 300 or so rounds in a compact laptop bag under most car seats.

Where it doesn't shine is if you need a dedicated optic. You lose the foldover capability.

It you want a dedicated optic, the Hi-Point would be a better choice, or the Ruger PC 9

Those are all on the lower end of the budgetary range - move up a little and you get into things like the CX Scorpion EVO.

Incidentally, the Glock 19 variant of the Sub2K, which takes Glock 17 magazines is on sale today at PS for $399 shipped.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/kel-tec-gen2-sub2000-glock-19-9mm-rifle-black.html

ETA - here it is for $450 shipped from KY Gun https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=60288

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RevJammer

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 08:06:16 PM »
Optic option for Keltec sub 2000

RJ

SS-Preppers

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »
100% Sub2k......basically everything that Lilburner said except for the availability of optic....there are solutions for that now, but I don't know how reliable they are.  I always get nervous thinking about moving an optic around.....I just don't trust that is goes back to zero.  But, I have never tried any of these, so I could be wrong.

It a great backpack and truck gun.  I have three 33 round Glock OEM mags that I carry with it and knowbody is the wiser.  I also love the fact that I can use any of the Glock 19 or 17 mags in it.  Very fun to shoot and much more acurate than I thought it ever would be.  The only thing I don't like about mine are the front sites, but I have a 1st generation and it looks like they inproved them greatly on the 2nd generation.  If you get one and go with the Glock compatible model, make sure you get the G19 and not the G17 model.....if you get the G17 model you can't use G19 mags in it.

BennyMG1

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
Thanks for the info. If I go with the KelTec, I’ll either get one that takes S&W or M9 mags. Don’t own a single Glock.

John Galt 1

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 07:50:32 AM »
Shoulder and look through the sights of the Kel-Tec before you buy one.      I and many others find it almost impossible to use the factory sights without resting the buttstock almost on top of the shoulder.        Since there is very little recoil putting the stock on top of the shoulder will work but I found it awkward.

The Kel-Tec design compromises by not putting any drop on the buttstock or comb to rest your cheek on.       For me I'd really need a raised aftermarket optic to use the rifle effectively.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Wileycoyote

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 08:20:49 PM »
I have a sub2k configured for m9 mags . Even after pimping it out with doodads and a scout scope etc it still shot only ok- it's kind of awkward . Then I built an ar9 pistol for glock mags and havnt fired my sub2k since. The ar platform has a truly staggering variety of parts that fit both ar9 and ar15. It was difficult to change sights and optics on the sub2k, and it was comically simple to change sights and optics on the ar.  There are tons of trigger choices for the ar including those binary triggers if you need to make money into noise.
Glock is not my favorite platform either but the variety of parts( my favorite glock has exactly zero glock factory parts in it) makes it tons of fun for me.

BennyMG1

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 10:07:28 PM »
I wish I was gun savvy and able to do those types of builds. I pretty much stick to stock and learn the disassembly procedures for what I have.

Gunner

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 03:01:59 AM »
 I just saw this post... and I want to relay an article that I read …. I am not a fan or a buyer of the items … just passing along what I read.

In the JUNE 2019 Blue Press,  From DILLION PRECISION,  on pg 78 there is an interesting article on the HI-POINT Firearms 459STS .45 ACP Carbine.

Before we go ballistic...(sorry) … lets all take a minute and read the article, and weight out what it says. Its not really a PRO/CON article.  It is pointing out a few facts that everyone might want to read and get a feel for when they make a gun purchase.  The writer admits that these are CARBINES and not RIFLES, and they should be looked at in that manner.  I was surprised to see the facts laid out.  it might be worth 5 min of your time to check this article out. Hope that everyone has a great day.
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal