Author Topic: 2019 Annual Spring SEPN Campout - May 3-5 @ Cedar Creek WMA  (Read 12036 times)

Lilburner

2019 Annual Spring SEPN Campout - May 3-5 @ Cedar Creek WMA
« on: March 20, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »
It's that time again! Mark your calendar!

The Annual Spring Campout - May 3-5 at Cedar Creek WMA. If you wish to arrive on Thursday the 2nd, you'll have plenty of company for the extra day. If you can't can't camp with us, come down for the day. Most planned activities will be concentrated on Saturday.

Cedar Creek is located south of Monticello on GA Hwy 212. Our camp site is across from the Check Station (N 30* 13' 45.1 W 83* 31' 36.1) on Checking Station Road. If Googling, google Cedar Creek Check Station or you might get directions to the range which is a different road off 212.

Specifically, here: https://goo.gl/maps/jKXeHv1JbKm The campground is on the opposite side of the gravel road from the Checking Station on the map, and just a hair BEFORE it. The path into the woods is subtle and some would say hard to see, but accommodates the largest of RVs. If you drive fully up TO the Checking Station, you've gone too far. HOPEFULLY there will be a yellow banner out by Thursday afternoon marking the turn.

Watch this thread for more details. As classes, activities, etc. are added, the details will be added to this main post as well.

Start picking out your auction item donations! The Saturday evening donation auction is a highlight of the event and our only source of income, and everything goes back in to SEPN 100%. It pays for the domain and the website. Last year we were able to subsidize the Christmas party for all attendees, and this year there's even more. specifically...

No camping fee: SEPN is picking up the bill for Port-A-Potties this year. No GORP/WMA pass is required at this site.

ETA May 1

A quick overview of this years classes and activities, all scheduled for Saturday. 03/04

10:00: Portable Food: Presented by elandil - our resident MRE and outdoor food expert and YouTube star.

14:00 Show and Tell: Anything you want! Anything that doesn't fit in to a full-length presentation. All presenters will be entered into a drawing for a $25 Amazon Gift card!

18:00 - Auction! If you've been to our campouts before, you know all about this. It's our only fundraiser and it keeps us in the important stuff like internet and toilets. If you're not familiar - bring a donation or two or ten and we'll auction it/them off. And you might pick up a bargain while you're at it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:13:17 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

Re: 2019 Annual Spring SEPN Fall Campout - May 3-5 @ Cedar Creek WMA
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 07:28:13 PM »
RESERVED
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

BennyMG1

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 08:48:18 PM »
My plan right now is to get there and set up Wednesday. I’ve already put in for my leave and it’s been approved. Can’t wait to see everyone.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Country Singer

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 08:55:09 PM »
I may be out as early as Thursday afternoon.

Also, I have some nice stuff for the auction!
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Starlady

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »
How about we ask some of the new folks what classes they'd like to see?

I'm out of ideas for a new class I haven't already given but some of us have been doing this for 6.5 years so other people surely haven't seen them all.  I'm willing to do them again but only if somebody wants to see it!

Some ideas for long classes:
Seed saving-yeah, it's not just pulling out and drying the seed
Pressure canning & water bath canning demo
Soap making

Short classes:
Predator proofing your coop and poultry yards
Caring for cast iron
Difference between pressure canning & water bathing and WHY it's important

Predator proofing your poultry coop
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 05:39:28 AM »
I am planning to bring a few portable solar panel battery chargers.  I can do a show & tell with an inverter and power tools.  I should be there Thursday afternoon.

Rockhopper

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 09:24:01 AM »
How do we register or do we just show up? I have a small camper and didn't know if there will be room, or if I should bring a tent, or other?

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 10:20:20 AM »
How do we register or do we just show up? I have a small camper and didn't know if there will be room, or if I should bring a tent, or other?
Bring what you have.  There will be several campers there.  There is everything from hammock, tents, pull behind campers  to small motor home.  The last one I went to the camping area was 50% full, so there should be plenty of room. 
There is a Saturday evening auction to support the group expenses.  Consider donating something a prepper would value for the auction.

Country Singer

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »

Just show up, but let us know how many you anticipate in your party.  As RWS noted, we've seen everything from debris shelters to Class A motorhomes over the years.  Keep in mind that there are no water or power hookups; it's a dry camping situation.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

upacreek

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 10:08:40 PM »
Not only am I not going to a teeny-bopper/millennial, 3-day concert from hell, my kid said he'd go on the camp out with me! 

I'm pretty sure his delirium will fade and he'll choose to stay home with his brother instead, but I'm planning on coming either way.  He's 15 and a good kid, so he shouldn't bug anyone.  If he does, we can coat him in honey and tie him to a tree.  We only tent or hammock camp.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Starlady

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
Food for thought:

Should we move the auction up to mid-afternoon?  That would give the day trippers a chance to experience it ….. and enrich our coffers, LOL.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

elandil

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 10:34:55 PM »
right now put me as a tentative, waiting to see if my time off request gets approved. I only hammock camp, so won't need much space if I do come.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Rockhopper

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 08:10:47 PM »
Thanks RWS and Country Singer. Will advise on numbers.

Rockhopper

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »
Please put me down for 2 people to camp on Friday night and 5 people on Saturday night. Don't know if it matters but 3 out of 5 will be children to stay Saturday night. Will have small camper. Look forward to meeting ya'll and thanks so much for organizing this! Will start looking through my stuff for the auction.

revckd

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 08:41:34 AM »
"Spring SEPN Fall Campout"
Just noticed this... which is it or does it last from-til  :o ;D
So looking forward to it but probably have to leave early as I have other plans in July, haha
revckd
KM4PHQ

Bellatores et Venatores in Christo
A prudent person foresees danger ahead and takes precautions. ~ Proverbs 27:12

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal