Author Topic: Looking at getting a gazebo for my range  (Read 1520 times)

Lilburner

Looking at getting a gazebo for my range
« on: April 23, 2019, 01:09:50 PM »
I've noticed the last couple years that Costco has a gazebo in the springtime for $1,499. It's cedar with a metal roof, and sells Elsewhere for $1,700 to $2,000. I've always thought it would be a nice shooting platform for my range. It's 12 ft by 14 ft. Now they have it on sale for $1,299. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it.

Here it is online for $1,499 with "free" delivery, but it's $1,299 in store.
https://www.costco.com/12%27-x-14%27-Cedar-Gazebo-With-Aluminum-Roof.product.100351084.html

I need to decide what to do about the base. Concrete would be nice, but expensive. And I'm just off a bad experience with a concrete contractor. I think I'm leaning towards building a low deck/wood patio for it. Probably somewhere between the leg dimensions and the roof dimensions, so rain won't drip down directly on the wood.

I've been doing a bunch of research on it, and kind of the buzz is that it's okay for $2,000, but that I'd be hard-pressed to build it from scratch for this price. Also no cutting or staining.

Anyone ever build a kit like this?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

Re: Looking at getting a gazebo for my range
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 01:55:11 PM »
All the plans I'm seeing for ground-level decks are called "floating decks, and aren't attached to the ground. Thusly.

I'm thinking you anchor a sturdy wood and metal gazebo to that, the right wind could dump the whole mess. I should probably go with poured/post anchors.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

upacreek

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 08:44:06 AM »
I know you're in GA and GA is a beautiful, permit lax paradise compared to my last state of MA, but do you need a permit for something over 100 square feet?  I'd hate for you to build something and then get fined for it and/or have to remove it, plus it would effect property tax.

It looks great.  I'd opt for concrete over wood for durability/longevity and so I didn't need a tarp over the wood - getting brass out from between boards is a pain in the butt. Surely you and friends can pour something like that yourself.  You're just putting the gazebo on it, no plans for a 3 story house on it someday?  What happened to your awesome neighbor?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 11:52:09 AM »
I still have the neighbor. The decking advantage is in material costs alone.

No permit required for a pavillion/gazebo. There was hardly one required for my barn. I called up and asked what it took to get a building permit. "$25". They may or may not have already or at some point in the future come and looked at my setbacks. Agricultural zoning is pretty laissez-faire, it seems.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal