Author Topic: Chainsaw for women - advice wanted  (Read 2048 times)

upacreek

Chainsaw for women - advice wanted
« on: April 24, 2019, 10:22:28 AM »
Do any of you have advice for a chainsaw for a 5' 4" woman?  It might sound stupid, but I can't start my late husband's chainsaw to save my life.  It's really pissing me off.  A good male friend can't start it either, but a shop I took it to started the stupid thing right up.  I'm wondering if my wingspan is just too short for the pull start (my friend is a bit on the short side too).  There's a very good chance that I'm missing some key step, but my knowledgeable friend not being able to start it either and watching youtube videos leads me to believe it's the t-rex arms.

I have a good amount of trees to clear and forest to clean up.  One of the fuffy little plug and play things will not work unless they can last longer than I suspect between recharging. I saw a few of them at Lowe's or Home Depot and they look like Fisher Price made them.  I'm used to Stihl products.  I want something that will last.

Thanks for any advice!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Chainsaw for women - advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »
I got tired of not being able to start a gas chain saw, SO, I switched to Ryobi electric chain saw.  The one with the 40 VDC lithium battery.  I have several batteries as I have several different Ryobi cordless tools that use the same battery.  I would tell you I could bring it to campout and let you try it out; however, the Forrest Service has rules against power tools of any kind.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-14-in-40-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Chainsaw-4-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-RY40530/307951574

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:36:17 AM »
Kind of a catch-22 there. The smaller and easier to start, the more work they're going to ultimately be on cutting trees.

Plus if you're stepping down from a Stihl, you've got a long way to drop.

My neighbor that cuts trees is small and old. He eschews the large chainsaws for all but the massive jobs as "too heavy". He's settled on a combination of the Ryobi 40V and the Poulan Pro 4218. He LOVES the Ryobi, but it doesn't have the power over say an 8" tree or the battery life (even with a spare) to go all day.

So he limbs with that and takes down small stuff or singles, and uses the little Poulan for almost everything else.

I've been super happy with it as far as value. Clearly no Stihl, but that thing's been going for years and years. And you could buy about 5 for the price of a Stihl. I bought it as a suburban homeowner to have on hand for windfall and camping. It's taken over homestead duty for the last two-plus years, and taken down probably 300 trees, and cut 5 or 6 cords of firewood without missing a beat. It's still going strong. If anything, it's improved with age. It didn't always want to idle when I got it, but that problem is long gone. Chains and bars are cheap too, and available at any Home Depot, or anywhere else I imagine.

I got a factory refurb. I see them now for as low as $100.

I wouldn't use the Ryobi as my only chainsaw, but it's great to have as a supplement. https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com often has good deals on them, but doesn't look like they have any right now.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

nj_m715

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »
I have an oregon 40v battery saw. it works well but the battery doesn't last very long. it can only make a few cuts through any tree over 10-12 inches
it's good for branches and small trees and great for stop and go cutting but frigging expensive

I also have a 45$ harbor freight  corded saw. I'm impressed with it's power, I expected it to be a dog
 it's very light and easy to use, it's dirt cheap, but you need to drag around
of course it doesn't have power of a large sthil, but it chews through any size tree if you take your time and let it work
my saw is 5 years old with lots of miles. for 45 bucks you cant beat it

imo if you have trouble starting a large saw, you would still have trouble starting a smaller saw

there isn't much difference between them

Starlady

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 07:50:42 PM »
You don't have to step down from Stihl, they make an easy pull.  Which my arthritic shoulders can't deal with.  If you want I'll bring it to the campout and you can see if you like it.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:02:09 PM »
I also have a 45$ harbor freight  corded saw. I'm impressed with it's power, I expected it to be a dog
 it's very light and easy to use, it's dirt cheap, but you need to drag around

It's almost certainly been recalled. Walk it in the store and they'll give you a brand new one.

ETA: Here are the pertinents https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/harbor-freight-tools-recalls-chainsaws-due-to-serious-injury-hazard
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 08:06:01 PM »
Corded saws are definitely the lightest.

You could do a setup like I do for my pole saw. I strap a little generator to the three-wheeler.

~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 08:20:47 PM »
I love my (now) Chicago Electric.  I manage 6-8" branches and small trees, letting the saw do the work instead of putting pressure on it.  And I run it off a 100' ext cord from my solar system.

I had the other one Harbor Freight sold and even thought I didn't have any issues in 3 years, they gave me a brand new one.  I wish I could remember the old name.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Country Singer

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 08:34:14 PM »
I'm not sure if a certain occasional poster here will be happy or disappointed that this thread isn't about him.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

nj_m715

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 09:41:23 PM »
already traded the old hf for a new one. I held off until I finished cutting down two stumps in front of the house

I abused the crap out of it cutting into dirt and hitting rocks
actually had 2 old saws. I bought a back up the next time they were on sale because I like the first one so much

John Galt 1

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 10:52:34 PM »
For occasional cutting down a 6-8" tree a battery or corded saw is easiest but it sounds like you're going to need a gas saw with at least a 30 cc sized engine and 14" or longer bar.      Echo's CS line of saws are fairly easy to start up.       
https://www.amazon.com/Defence-Duffers-Drift-Fundamentals-Tactics/dp/1603861998/ref=pd_sbs_14_2/132-5734626-6587250?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1603861998&pd_rd_r=289c1af3-8987-11e9-b4d5-432c6a0843e7&pd_rd_w=5BrHz&pd_rd_wg=KOZLo&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=ECSYAF9RWXQ79HD0AA15&psc=1&refRID=ECSYAF9RWXQ79HD0AA15

I can't recomend the an Echo CS 330 (extremally lightweight but not reliable)  but the CS 310 is a solid choice.     Both sold at Home Depot.
     I'm no Lumberjack but nowdays the CS 310 is my go to saw for trees less than 14" diamater because it's fairly lightweight.       I also have a CS 450 which cuts faster and bigger but it's heavier for cutting all day.     
If a tree is over about 24" I bring i bring in a professional.     I hope that I don't lose my "Man Card" for admitting that.   
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Starlady

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 09:18:43 PM »
LOL, JohnGalt1, not in my book......they don't call them widowmakers for nothing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal