Author Topic: SEPN Summer event. Your thoughts - change or keep.  (Read 2652 times)

Lilburner

SEPN Summer event. Your thoughts - change or keep.
« on: April 28, 2019, 02:15:16 PM »
For the last five years, we've been co-opting with the Gwinnett/Atlanta Prepper Show to host a lunch nearby. While I think most believe the lunch venue upgraded, the "prepper show" kind of went to hell. Last year had less items of prepper interest than most pure gun shows.

While there's certainly nothing wrong with a gun show, it's not something to tie an event to. Particularly when the event could be relocated to a more central venue (like we did with the Christmas party).

What do y'all think? Keep it or change it?

If you want to change it, what would you like to do?

My idea is to get a park pavillion and do a cookout and swap meet. The cookout could be set up several ways from potluck to burgers and dogs provided - bring a side, etc. If we keep up the trend we've had of stellar campout auctions, maybe even fully or partially catered.

If you like that idea or have another, chime in! If you'd rather keep going to the prepper gun show, weigh in on that angle as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:42:11 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

Re: SEPN Summer event. Your thoughts - change or keep.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 02:52:56 PM »
For me personally, I love the idea, especially with a swap meet or sell your stuff thing.....but you aren't getting me outside much in July or August, never mind driving 2 hrs 1 way to do it.   I'm just terrible in hot weather.  It was bad enough at a campout but at least we could just do nothing all day, lol.

Any chance of getting a large room where we could cook outside and eat or swap inside a/c?
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

YellowRose

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 07:11:04 PM »
I think meeting for a lunch would be fun.  Either at the expo or just for a lunch/swap meet as you suggest.  The expo was mostly gun stuff, but I did come away with a nice rocket stove last year.  As you said, the lunch menu there could stand to be improved.  I'm good either way.

Searchboss

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 06:43:16 PM »
Somehow I missed this post when it was published. I am with Starlady on this one. It would be a 2+ hour drive one-way for us to get to the event. We would enjoy coming to a weekend lunch event, whether it is a swap meet or a simple meet and greet, but not outside in the summer heat! An outside cookout is a great idea for early fall. I would suggest that perhaps it might be better for someone local to the proposed luncheon site to look for a different type of event to draw attendees. Perhaps a free Saturday morning event at TruePrep before lunch somewhere close by? I have never been there, so am just using that as an example to generate ideas. Another idea might be to have the location somewhere south of Atlanta to encourage more participation from outside the southern I-285 ring? I am not familiar with that area, but I am sure we have someone on this forum that is.

It would probably generate more attendance if there is an event attached to it, but if one cannot be found would it be practical to simply have a stand-alone meet and greet lunch?

Rockhopper

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 01:22:01 PM »
Being new to the site, I'm not sure how much my opinion counts, but I'm with Lilburner. While the campout was already a little hot, I felt much of the heat was secondary to camp work such as cooking, carrying fire wood, setting up camp, breaking down camp, etc. A gathering at a covered pavilion, while it would be hot, would be shaded with good air flow. Personally, I don't anticipate the luxury of having any air conditioning in a grid down event so becoming acclimated to summer heat is part of prepping to me. Summer is when I intend to grow most of my food so being able to work in the heat is critical to me. I anticipate my dwelling to be at least as hot as an open pavilion in the summer during a grid down event.

My apologies if the group has already visited this place, and it may be too far for some. I am only trying to help brain storm with Lilburner, but Indian Springs State Park south of Griffen off I-75 has some nice cool streams throughout the park, one with rocks where people wade and get there feet wet in the cool water, and I think there are pavilions available by many of these streams. Typically the trees and cool water will cool the ambient air along the banks a good 10 degrees or so.

The park also features a nice waterfall you used to be able to cool off in right below the lake adjacent to the campground but suspect pavilions are not available to lease in the area of the fall unless you are a camper? However, one can mostly drive to the fall then a short walk. For those who might like to cool off this might possibly be an option?

Also featured in the park is a natural spring that creek Indians used to gather water from for its supposedly medicinal qualities at which park visitors still collect water from.

Here's a video I found of Indian Springs and High Falls (the latter I'm not particularly a fan of)

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 09:09:29 PM »
That's a good suggestion and I looked at it - might be a little far south.

I looked at the state map, though, and there's a Panola Mountain State Park in Stockbridge with this air-conditioned room. Need to call them and sort the details, which I'll do if there's any interest.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Rockhopper

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 09:47:22 PM »
Yes, I for one am interested. Would like as much advance notice as possible though so I can make sure I'm off since I do work some weekends. Thanks for your efforts!

Lilburner

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »
Looks like it's within our budget.

It would have to be August 24, which is pretty much the exact weekend we've been doing it.

No grilling available. It would have to be a pot luck.

Any interest?
~ Daniel Webster

aces

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 01:10:47 PM »
I would be interested since I cannot come to campouts and would be willing to bring potluck to that spot.

Lilburner

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
 Quick note.

This is on. Thanks to Farside for scouting the facility and making the reservation.

Fortunately, there are two grills. The current plan is for SEPN-provided burgers and dogs with potluck sides and dessert.

We'll also have a swap meet.

Save the date. This is a busy weekend for me (ARRL Field Day), so I'm not sure when I'll get a full post up.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
~ Daniel Webster

upacreek

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 10:55:52 PM »
It looks like I'm up for it that weekend.  The place looks pretty spacious too.  Do you need tables and chairs?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Lilburner

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 03:32:25 PM »
Looking forward to seeing you. Tables and chairs were an add-on we purchased, so we're set there. Thanks!
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 06:17:01 PM »
I'll bring a big elbow macaroni garden salad....chicken, eggs, onion, celery, radishes, mayo and a bit of Tony's to gently spice it up.   Ingredients listed for those with allergies.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

elandil

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 10:08:15 PM »
I'll try to get that weekend off, if so I'll bring some of my baked beans. They tend to be a hit at cookouts...but be warned, they ain't vegetarian.  ;)
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

John Galt 1

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
I'm going to try to get there since I missed the campout. 
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal