Author Topic: Worm composting (vermicomposting) and casting tea  (Read 1499 times)

upacreek

Worm composting (vermicomposting) and casting tea
« on: May 06, 2019, 08:55:09 AM »
Here's a video on vermicomposting (worm composting) - https://www.smallgardennews.com/worm-composting/
I mentioned that I have my new pets under a sofa table in one of my living rooms (why do southerners have 2 living rooms???)  They don't smell.  They take barely any time to manage.  My Terminix bug plan doesn't seem to affect them.  They don't escape.  Those of us that live in an HOA - it's a great way to compost fruit & vegetable scraps without violating the freaking stupid rules. 

A few don'ts so the bins don't start smelling and worms don't try to escape:
Don't use computer paper for bedding (the top layer that you put on top of the food to keep the fruit flies away and mock a leaf layer you'd find outside).  The bleach used to make the paper so white doesn't agree with the worms and they try to escape.
Don't put in smelly vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and onions. The harder the veggies are, the longer they take to digest and the longer they stay in the bin, smelling up the place.
Don't add citrus fruits, meat, dairy, fats. Any fruits and vegetables should be raw and without any seasoning (no butter or salt, etc)
Don't keep it too dry or too wet.  If it's too dry, the worms will congregate into one tight area.  If it's too wet, they try to escape - add drier bedding and maybe block the holes with nylons or something breathable.  I've only seen one escape attempt in 4 months and he didn't get out - he just headed up the side of the bin.

NJ_m715 talked about this worm casting tea at the camp out - I'm pretty sure this is one way to get to what he was talking about https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Worm-Castings-Tea  While I don't feel like I have enough to steal castings for fertilizer yet - this tea should be great until my guys start reproducing more.  Then I can do both.  I'm starting today and will keep updating this.

Thanks NJ!!!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

nj_m715

Re: Worm composting (vermicomposting) and casting tea
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 12:14:03 PM »
yup, thats it
and if anyone wants some worms let me know
I'm just off 85 near commerce if you're ever passing by
I'll meet you for lunch in town or you can come here to see my bins

here's waaaay more info than anyone would ever never need to know about worms:
https://mediasite.online.ncsu.edu/online/Play/ed5c695a835f435197db7f5f33bd733c1d?catalog=f5a893e7-4b7c-4b79-80fd-52dcd1ced715

YellowRose

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 10:49:20 AM »
Vermicomposting is great!  I have two vermicompost bins on my carport, and they do take very little maintenance, and don't smell unless you overfeed them.  I just started some seedlings in pure vermicompost.  Great way to give plants a good start.

nj_m715

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 02:16:04 PM »
I get some volunteers growing right in my bin from time to time.
can't argue with getting free seedling.  just pull 'em out and replant

upacreek

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 04:05:24 PM »
I have doubled my empire!  Pikes sells the red wrigglers for $17.99.  I think it's at least double in their little buckets as what I started with - so maybe I've tripled it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 04:38:15 PM »
Red wigglers? The Cadillac of worms?

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Country Singer

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 05:46:04 PM »
Heh, there's a certain preacher that had a discussion about fishin' worms in his sermon on Sunday.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

nj_m715

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 03:25:28 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal