Author Topic: UV-5R with Nagoya NA-771 Antenna  (Read 1142 times)

primitive

UV-5R with Nagoya NA-771 Antenna
« on: May 06, 2019, 10:07:53 PM »
I don't have a license yet, but I went ahead and bought a UV-5R to see what kind of stuff I could pick up and hopefully motivate me to keep studying so I can push the PTT button at some point.

I went ahead and bought a Nagoya NA-771 whip antenna to go with it at the suggestion of a couple articles I read and reviews on Amazon. From what I can tell so far, the longer antenna doesn't seem to make any difference. I haven't done any really scientific testing with it, but if I hear someone talking, I'll swap the antennas back and forth and I don't seem to get any clearer reception with the upgraded one. I've also noticed it doesn't screw in as far as the stock antenna, although it definitely makes a connection, because the reception will disappear if I start to unscrew it.

Supposedly there are counterfeit versions, but it looks like I got the real thing.

Does anybody have experience with this antenna or have any advice on whether I should keep it? Trying to get this figured out before the return window closes on Amazon.

Thanks!

Lilburner

Re: UV-5R with Nagoya NA-771 Antenna
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 10:31:13 PM »
It's good for what it is. a good way to pick up a little extra range over the stock antenna.

A good first antenna - my first antenna.

As you gather radios, or at least with me, it kind of falls by the wayside because you have more powerful radios or crossband repeat or whatnot, and then the long whip impedes body carry.

But absolutely a good first choice.

Now that I don't really worry about range, with most HT use being very localized for events - parades, races, etc., I've gone completely the other direction and embraced this stumpy little munchkin as my go-to HT antenna.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 10:38:28 PM »
To add from a prepper perspective, though.

If you gravitate toward smaller antennas through your daily life to simplify body carry, if you're out with an HT as your only hope of communication, it would be great for pack carry, along with a roll up J-pole in your bag.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

primitive

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 11:19:06 PM »
Yeah, I have noticed the longer antenna is a pain and harder to store when on the move or it gets caught on things in enclosed spaces like a car.

I guess a better strategy would be to stick with the short stock antenna and deploy a roll up if I really need range. I can pick up the Stone Mountain repeater from my house in Decatur with the shorter antenna. I think I picked it up from Sandy Springs even. The longer antenna doesn't really excel at convenience or longer range. But for $17, maybe I should quit worrying about it and just hang on to it and keep experimenting.

Thanks.

primitive

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 12:09:39 PM »
I tried both antennas again this morning and the longer one does seem to work a little better now. Seems to get an extra bar or two over the stock antenna. I think I'll keep it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal