Author Topic: Did you know ? You can Build your solar in pieces?  (Read 1017 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Did you know ? You can Build your solar in pieces?
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:48:43 AM »
I think a lot of people think that when putting in solar power they have to put in the whole system at once.  Well I use the Conext 6848 inverter (Schneider Electric) which will do both grid tie and off grid at the same time.  The inverter when tied to the grid (but not selling) has a built in charger that will charge the 48 volt battery.  The inverter is then able to supply an off grid lighting panel with power.  This charging occurs at the same time as supplying the load.  You will basically be running off the grid except if the grid goes down you will still have power on your off grid panel until the battery goes dead.  You may not have the money to put it all in at once.  Solar panels may be added later.  Sometimes it take a while to build out the mounting structure for the solar panel array.  There are several reasons why you may wish to build out your system in pieces.  The important thing is to get started!

Ravenwood1950

Re: Did you know ? You can Build your solar in pieces?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »
I have 3 285 watt panels but have no idea what the heck to do with them or how to get them working for me. :(
Ravenwood

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 02:53:40 PM »
There is not a lot you can do with 3 panels.  Having said that you could charge a 12V DC Battery.  Get an inverter that is big enough to run a refrig or freezer.  Use it like a UPS to keep from loosing frozen food in a power outage.  I did a little demo at the last campout running a skill saw with a portable panel set up.

John Galt 1

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 08:51:53 PM »
There is a lot you can do with over 700 watts in panels but those are large panels which will put out a higher voltage; somewhere around 40v per panel.     With 700 watts you really don't have enough to be worth spending the $300 - $500 for a MPPT charge controller that can most effectively harness that higher voltage those panels produce to charge a 12v battery.     

But you can purchase a $40 30 amp PMW charge controller on Amazon and get those panels to put about 300 watts into a few 12v batteries.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal