Author Topic: Freds is closing here  (Read 2952 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Freds is closing here
« on: May 22, 2019, 11:04:41 AM »
If you have a Freds store it may be closing.  The wife made her Wednesday shopping trip looking for bargains.  She came out of Freds with 4 cases of quart canning jars.  They were having a going out of business sale.

The gray box on the wall is a solar panel disconnect switch for 8 panels on the roof.  The combiner box is in the attic.  The PV wire must be run in metal pipe up to the first accessible disconnect switch.  You can see the SPD attached to the bottom of the switch. (Surge Protection Device)  The conduit and SPDs are part of my EMP and lightning protection.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 06:25:27 PM by RWS »

Lilburner

Re: Freds is closing here
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 11:42:19 AM »
I hope ours doesn't close.

It's the only variety store in town, and has bailed me out a couple times, particularly on Sundays with things like paint roller covers and trimmer line.

Walmart is an hour round trip.

ETA: Whew. I'm good.
https://amp-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3672457002?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQA#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fmoney%2F2019%2F05%2F16%2Ffreds-store-closings-2019-retailer-closing-104-more-stores%2F3672457002%2F
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 01:05:46 PM »
That's really weird, the one in Rome is closing yet one 30 miles away in a town with about 20% of Rome's population, isn't.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Country Singer

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 05:50:05 PM »
Probably less competition in the smaller town.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 09:04:00 PM »
In addition, we just learned that Fred’s will be shuttering another 129 stores as it desperately attempts to stay alive…

https://dcdirtylaundry.com/as-wall-street-celebrates-rising-stock-prices-companies-are-literally-shutting-down-all-over-america/

Looks like some of the closings are due to walk in retailers not being able to compete with on line sale.

Trucking companies are always starting up and going out of business.

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »
Sad news. we're losing our Fred's. The lady said they're all going away.

Everything is 30 to 80% off. I just stopped to pick something up, and had meat in the car. I'm going home now to put the meat up and I'm going back. The tools are gone mostly, but there are some housewares, Automotive, and miscellaneous.

It was a perfect fit for our little town. Especially on Sundays when everything else is closed.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 05:09:54 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 04:04:52 PM »
Went to Hawkinsville today to the meat market.  We go about once each quarter.  Of course we ate lunch while in town.  Next to the restaurant is a Freds with a large closing sign.  Wife says lets stop and see if they have any canning jars.  Sure enough 40% off we got 1 case of quarts, 3 cases of pints and 2 cases of jelly jars.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal