Author Topic: Moving back to georgia  (Read 1764 times)

Grey_man

Moving back to georgia
« on: June 19, 2019, 11:06:15 PM »
Hello all, new to the group. My wife and I are considering moving back to north Georgia sometime in the near future. I recently got out of the army after 10 years. It’s been a while since I’ve lived in ga, how are employment opportunities looking, land prices, political climate and that sort of thing. Thanks in advance for any info.

Grey_man

Re: Moving back to georgia
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 11:07:39 PM »
Forgot to add, probably looking at moving somewhere in region 2 or 5.

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 12:00:13 PM »
In region 1 there is allot of trade work. I used my GI bill after a 7yr Army stint to become a machinist. Making more then i did in the service including bah as a NCO. Engineering pays well out here to at the larger plants Shaw, Mohawk, Roper and Volkswagen.

Not sure what your vocation is but i hope this helps.

Psalms 127:3-5

aces

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 01:05:09 PM »
I cannot speak to the politics or employment in those regions, but plentiful jobs in Atlanta and our state is kind of mixed politically although it is majority "red" in most places outside of Atlanta.  There are a few blue counties in the southern part of the state and around metro Atlanta.  The 2016 governor's race was so close that the Republican barely won by 60,000 votes.
Expect to see his Dem challenger Stacy Abrams roar back again as she is not going away quietly.

Let us know what you want to do for a living so we can advise better and welcome back!

Starlady

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 01:33:18 PM »
Region 1 outside of Rome has good land prices and better rainfall than Reg 5 (on average).
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

John Galt 1

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 08:58:18 PM »
Employment opportunities an hour N. of ATL off both I-75 and I-85 are very strong now days as the economy is very strong.      Of course it depends on what type of work you do.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

workhorse

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 12:07:19 AM »
Kubota is hiring signs out all over the place

Grey_man

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 04:46:33 PM »
In region 1 there is allot of trade work. I used my GI bill after a 7yr Army stint to become a machinist. Making more then i did in the service including bah as a NCO. Engineering pays well out here to at the larger plants Shaw, Mohawk, Roper and Volkswagen.

Not sure what your vocation is but i hope this helps.

What level of training did you do? I was a mechanic before I went into the army and I was thinking about going back to a trade school for machining or welding. Do you think there is a benefit to getting an associates degree or diploma vs. a training certificate? I’m looking at balancing time spent in school against job availability and future earnings potential.

ChristianJ

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 12:16:37 AM »
I lived in Georgia for a decade or so... it is good, but not overly appealing. County laws, zoning, etc, are a bit too strict where you think they wouldn't be, and overall the state is shifting toward that direction at a pretty decent clip.

If I were starting on a clean slate and had no prior attachments, I'd probably look at Tennessee or Alabama first. I live in the former now. Despite not knowing too much about the laws in the latter, I'd be willing to research it and give it a shot.
Christian pastor & theologian

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal