Author Topic: Have y'all seen this? Baofeng UV-5R to be banned along with others  (Read 1651 times)

ChristianJ

I know I haven't been around much lately, so I hope this isn't redundant (I did check posts from last few months).

From: https://survivalblog.com/baofeng-sales-ban-countdown-continues/?fbclid=IwAR1lWxLMAEjKurgOVtIiTYVAECWLztnjYKLR2wbKmOVzE5LcY_KfG7BTTbA

Here is a reminder on an upcoming rule change by the FCC:  On September 30, 2019, it will become illegal to sell or “offer for sale” (advertise) radios like the popular Baofeng UV-5R that can operate in the FRS radio band (462.5625 – 462.7250 MHz) and any other licensed band in a single device.

Note that this upcoming ban WILL NOT be a ban on the possession or use of FRS dual band ham radios. Nor will be it be illegal to gift them to other adults. Hence, any that are legally owned on or before September 30th will effectively become “grandfathered”.
Christian pastor & theologian

Lilburner

Re: Have y'all seen this? Baofeng UV-5R to be banned along with others
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 04:13:33 PM »
Everyone who reads this reads it differently.

It's 100% decided that it is either "definitely" or "definitely not".

The FCC is going to have to step forward with a clarification or it's going to be a full blown clusterthingie.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

nj_m715

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 05:43:44 PM »
should have loaded up on those 5$ radios a couple months ago

ChristianJ

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »
Everyone who reads this reads it differently.

It's 100% decided that it is either "definitely" or "definitely not".

The FCC is going to have to step forward with a clarification or it's going to be a full blown clusterthingie.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure what to make of it. I have a few of the UV-5Rs. I think I'm going to hold off on getting any more unless I'm feeling particularly edgy.

bountyhunter

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 03:18:47 PM »
If you got one you are going to use it.......so why worry. I have 4 YAESU radios and 3 BAOFENG paperweights.......I know what I am going to use.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Gunner

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 01:08:11 AM »
I read that to mean that they were going to ban import of the newer UV-8 radios.... because they can operate out-of-band.  I thought that the 5Rs were still good.   If you buy the 8Rs now  it will be hard for the govt to come and pick them up from you, and as long as you are using them as they were designed to be used... how would anyone know what you are using?
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

ChristianJ

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 12:11:16 AM »
I read that to mean that they were going to ban import of the newer UV-8 radios.... because they can operate out-of-band.  I thought that the 5Rs were still good.   If you buy the 8Rs now  it will be hard for the govt to come and pick them up from you, and as long as you are using them as they were designed to be used... how would anyone know what you are using?
Correct, that is why it is called a sales ban.

No matter how this law is interpreted, possession and legal use is not banned.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal