Author Topic: 2019 SEPN Summer Air Conditioned Cookout and Swap Meet - August 24  (Read 4569 times)

Lilburner

Re: 2019 SEPN Summer Air Conditioned Cookout and Swap Meet - August 24
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »
Finally got the time updated in the top post. Sorry for the delay!

When:
August 24, 2019
Lunch @ 1PM
Building open at 11AM - closes at 4PM

I think we have the basics covered.
SEPN/Farside providing meat, bread, cheese, condiments.
upacreek bringing fixings
I'm bringing gallon drinks, ice and cups.

There are a few spoken for. Feel free to add yours or surprise us!

Don't think anyone's claimed chips or any desserts yet, but I may have missed it - I'm a little scattered.

If you haven't checked out the pics in the first post, there's a pretty nice little kitchen area if you need refrigeration or last minute prep.

Can't wait to see everyone!

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 04:34:01 PM »
It is looking like I may not be able to make the get together. :( My neighbor, the one I scrapbook/stitch with and just visited 10 days ago, has the whopping cough! It appears that she caught it from her grandchildren and daughter in law. That means I was exposed to a very contagious disease, rats. I felt sort of punky today and checked my temperature and it is 99.8. I am going in to the doctor's office in the am. Everyone in my household will have to be on antibiotics. So much for anything I had planned for the rest of the week. I will ask the doctor about coming Saturday but honestly I don't want to expose everyone to 'whopping cough Mary'. This is just an example of how easily and innocently diseases can be spread. It behooves one to think about how they would handle it when there is no doctor. Scary.
Ravenwood

Hobbit In Arms

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 06:20:05 PM »
This looks delicious.  I'll be bringing a corn salad or similar side dish.

Starlady

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 08:22:50 AM »
Ravenwood, I sure hope it's a big nothing!  But thank you for thinking of the rest of us.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »
Update on "whooping cough Mary"; I saw the doctor this am and was put on antibiotics. They suggested that it would be best if I self isolate until I have been on the antibiotics for 5 days. :( So rather than take any chances I will not attend the get together. :( I am going Tuesday for a booster DPT immunization; it might not be a bad idea for everyone to check when they had a booster last. It seems we have had an outbreak of whooping cough in our county.
Ravenwood

Lilburner

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 07:00:31 AM »
 Sorry to hear we won't be seeing you. Take care of yourself and we look forward to seeing you soon!
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Slugg

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
I should be there sometime around noon with my 2 kids. I can bring chips or a dessert. How much should I bring?

Farside

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 09:12:12 AM »
No set numbers. Couple bags of chips or a cake keep it simple.

Lilburner

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 10:56:26 AM »
Getting RSVPs from preppers is like herding the proverbial cats  ;D

I'm guessing about 20.
~ Daniel Webster

elandil

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 08:04:02 PM »
Getting RSVPs from preppers is like herding the proverbial cats  ;D

I'm guessing about 20.

19. I'm not going to make it, I've had something come up. Sorry. :(
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Rockhopper

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 10:13:30 PM »
Count my wife and I as an RSVP. She's making a fabulous eclair cake to bring.

Lilburner

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2019, 10:07:05 AM »
Heads up.

The street address for the park, given in the first post, was giving Google Maps all kind of problems. It was trying to take me somewhere in Atlanta, even with the city and zip code entered. Currently I've told it to take me to Panola Mountain State Park, and seem to be headed in the right direction.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
I had a blast and stayed cool.

Ir sure was good seeing people and meeting people - Slugg and Mrs. Rockhopper.

Thanks to all who came out. I don't want to thank all the individuals who brought food because I'd invariably leave someone out, and it was all wonderful.

I do want to think Farside and Gunner, though - Farside for scouting the location and gathering the SEPN-provided food and supplies, and Gunner for slaving over the hot grill while most of the rest of us were chilling at 70 degrees.

In addition to the air conditioned room being a much-needed respite from a brutal summer, the privacy was so much nicer than a restaurant lunch. And the room was just about perfect.

All the feedback I heard was positive - I get the idea this should be our summer event going forward. Feel free to comment.

A couple reminders to myself if I set this up again. It's $5 parking, and you need to put the park name in Google Maps. The street address gave a false location in Atlanta - and turned out I wasn't the only one.

Once again - great to see who we saw, and we missed the rest of you!

Looking forward to the campout!
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2019, 09:05:07 PM »
Thanks to anyone who had a hand in putting this together, I agree with you that the setup suits us better than a restaurant …..  and there certainly was enough food to choose from!  We are awesome!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Searchboss

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 08:54:36 AM »
This was a great opportunity to get together. The location was perfect, the food was delicious, and the people were awesome! Thanks to all who helped plan the event as well as everyone who brought and cooked the food. I look forward to doing it again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal