Author Topic: Got excess zucchini squash ?  (Read 2005 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Got excess zucchini squash ?
« on: July 02, 2019, 04:44:55 PM »
I heard that you could freeze zucchini squash.  First you grate them.  Then you let them set and drain them.  And drain them.  And drain them.  They seem to have lots of water.  Then we used two cup freezer containers and filled them & put in the freezer.  Done.
Then I had heard you could make a patty fry them.  So I took some more & after draining added season salt, pepper, salt, diced onions and a little garlic powder.  The wife looked over my shoulder and said "It needs an egg for a binder"  She brought an egg and some flour and I mixed that in.  Just enough flour to give a little body.  I was thinking I needed a ring to fry them in so I got a couple wide mouth jar rings and washed them up.

Then after the first two were fried up I put the rest in the skillet.

I think frying with out the rings is better because you end up with a thinner patty and the center is no so mushy.  In any case these are history as we ate one on the spot and put the rest in the freezer.  Tomorrow we plan to do some more.  The plan is that when we reheat them to put parmesan cheese on top.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:56:05 PM by RWS »

RWS

• Bugged Out
Re: Got excess zucchini squash ?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 05:08:29 PM »
Yesterday for supper we had zucchini boats.  I told the wife I wanted to have zucchini boats and she fixed them.  She took a zucchini and spilt it in half long ways and scooped out the seeds.  In a baking dish she filled each half with browned hamburger meat.  Then she added tomato sauce, green pepper, dried parsley flakes, basil, italian seasoning, salt & pepper.  Then put them in the oven.  To go along with this she cooked spaghetti strings with butter & garlic.  Salt of course.  It was OK but not what I had in mind.  Since we still have gobbs of zucchini I think I will do my version of zucchini boats.  I want to use the chili ground beef my wife cooks up and puts in the freezer for later use.  Then I want to take velveta cheese and mix in some of our home made salsa and use that to top off the boat.  In stead of spaghetti strings I want to use rice to go with it.  Wish me luck!

upacreek

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 06:39:34 PM »
My zucchini just started producing.  Keep the recipes coming. 
Draining seemed self-explanatory, but I like to double check.  Here's what I found - https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-sz-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=sz&p=how+to+drain+zucchini#id=1&vid=a259eb32c375872af30fa71d9c0e3c31&action=click  Grandma sounds a bit twisted.  I like her.

We made some patties that looked like yours last year, but added some seasoning and grated cheese to them.  Even my kids liked it.

I like to fry, grill, or just boil them.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 08:30:59 PM »
We usually just slice our zucchini about 1/8" or less and fry them in butter.  Once you get the skillet full of slices, salt & pepper them.  Once the first side is browned turn them and fry another few minutes.  Then top them with Parmesan cheese and serve.  Since it is just the two of us we serve right out of the skillet.

This year my wife made chocolate zucchini bread.  She makes two loaves at a time.  It is so good I encouraged her to bake more.  We have about 10 loaves in the freezer.  I must admit that some are not whole loaves as there is a slice or two missing from a couple.
     3 eggs,   1c oil,   2 c sugar,   2 t vanilla extract,   2-1/2 c all purpose flour,  2-1/2 t baking powder,  1-1/2 t baking soda,   1 t salt, 1/2 c bakers cocoa,   2 c zucchini shredded, 1 c chopped nuts.  Since we live in pecan country, we use pecans in everything.  I don't have a pecan tree so we trade pecans for blueberries.

Blend together eggs, oil & sugar in a large mixing bowl, add vanilla, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & cocoa, mixing well.   Fold in zucchini and nuts,  spoon into 2 greased 9"x5" loaf pans.   Bake at 350Deg F for one hour.  Makes 3 loaves, serves 10.

SS-Preppers

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 10:17:45 PM »
My mother froze it every year.  He made a ton of zucchini bread and froze that.  She also would shred crazy amounts an freeze it.  The key is to get the water out of it.  She would take big handfulls and put in cheese cloth.....the put those in a long narrow burlap bag....time one end to the vice on the work bench and the other end to the flywheel on an old air compressor that we had.  Hit it two or three times and repeat over and over until you have squeezed all your zucchini.....then she dried it in the oven.  Once done we put in sealed bag and freeze it.  She would make all kinds of pancakes and classic drop biscuits loaded with cheese and herbs. 

ProGeek

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 09:47:46 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. We have so much right now.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Starlady

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 10:03:21 PM »
Slice longways, brush with olive oil and grill.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

ProGeek

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 11:01:08 AM »
Tried some patties. Salted, let them sit, and drained. I should have let them sit longer. They were still too wet. I didn't add enough egg. 2 very large ones and one egg, should have used 2 eggs. Even mushy they were tasty.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 11:37:30 AM »
Tried some patties. Salted, let them sit, and drained. I should have let them sit longer. They were still too wet. I didn't add enough egg. 2 very large ones and one egg, should have used 2 eggs. Even mushy they were tasty.
We just got home from NC camping.  A lady up there called them squash fritters and said she cooks them every year.

Starlady

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 02:00:48 PM »
ProGeek, add 1 TBSP flour for every egg.  Really absorbs the water you didn't get out and makes them firmer - easier to flip.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 10:11:32 AM »
Since I am new to the site (although, I found where I signed up in 2016, and forgot about it).  I am posting of the excess zucchini late, but I bet people will be reviewing it next year.  Along with the great ideas above, I also slice it thing like lasagna noodles and us it as noodles to Made lasagna.  I usually have my own marinara sauce at the same time, so a win, win.
Ariel

8greenbeans

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 12:57:55 PM »
I also grate and dehydrate. When ready to use I rehydrate and use in zucchini bread (both chocolate and non-chocolate). They can also be used to fry up the fritters but they are never quite the same, though not bad.

USMC Veteran, LEO Mama
Navy MIL, USAF Vet Mama
Army Daughter
8 Beans
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
3 Beans-in-law, 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »
Today is do something with squash day at my house.  The wife is frying up some zucchini squash fritters for the freezer.  Then she plans to cook up some yellow squash and Vidalia onions for the freezer.  The squash are still making and the squash worm has not yet shown up so we are in full swing here.  Just need another freezer but don't think I can stand the energy budget.  Besides we keep putting more in than taking out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal