Author Topic: Podcasts? Free audio books?  (Read 2345 times)

Lilburner

Podcasts? Free audio books?
« on: July 25, 2019, 12:36:31 PM »
Any suggestions?

Im thinking my weekly three hour round trip might be a good time for this sort of thing. I'm not ready to commit to a pay service like audible yet.

I think I'd prefer tech, homesteading, and how-to type topics over fiction and "coming collapse" topics.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

8greenbeans

Re: Podcasts? Free audio books?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 02:04:28 PM »
Along those lines I listen to:

Adapt 2030
The Doctor's Farmacy
The Canadian Prepper
The Survivalist Prepper
Ice Age Farmer
Prepper Podcast Radio Network
The Prepared Homestead
The Self-Sufficient Homestead
The Urban Farm
The Survival Podcast
Focus on Disaster Medicine and Preparedness

and several more that are "old" - as in they do not add new podcasts any longer (perhaps on a different platform that I'm currently using). When I finish up the ones that are old, I have several others in the wings that I'd like to give a shot but not until I get this list pared down (I have other topics I also listen to such as beekeeping, farm business & marketing, herbs, cultured food, goats, etc).

I use an app called Podcoin. It pays you to listen (very similar to a cryptocurrency but only for that site). If you stay on the basic then it will "pay" for up to 6 hours a day. However, the more I listed the more it gives bonus podcasts and also begins to pay double per minute. I haven't been doing it too long so there could be other bump ups I don't know about. I'm using it to acquire a few gift cards for Christmas, along with several other apps I use to "earn money" for gift cards just for walking around - which I do anyway just taking care of the house and farm.

Sorry to get off on a tangent there!

I also listen to Stitcher and YouTube for podcasts that are not on Podcoin.

USMC Veteran, LEO Mama
Navy MIL, USAF Vet Mama
Army Daughter
8 Beans
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
3 Beans-in-law, 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

Country Singer

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 06:48:35 PM »
Here's some that are less TEOTWAKI that you might like.  The real trick is finding a podcast app that A) you like and 2. that carries the podcasts you want.  When I was on Android I used Podbean, now that I'm on Apple I just use the Apple podacst app.

“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 06:32:32 PM »
Thanks! I checked out a couple last night on the way up. Started with Cam because I'm a big fan and we engage sometimes on Twitter. The one I listened to was good, but Miss E, as his wife is known, had to excuse herself before the end. *Bleep* Cancer.

Looking forward to checking out the others.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

8greenbeans

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 05:15:04 PM »
I've been eyeing LFIT and was gonna give it a go soon. Good to have a recommendation for it!

USMC Veteran, LEO Mama
Navy MIL, USAF Vet Mama
Army Daughter
8 Beans
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
3 Beans-in-law, 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal