Author Topic: (FIXED) Tinypic is shutting down or already has.  (Read 2989 times)

Lilburner

(FIXED) Tinypic is shutting down or already has.
« on: August 05, 2019, 11:53:55 AM »
I got info the other day that tinypic is shutting down.

I took it under advisement, assuming it was like 30-90 days out and I could do a workaround to save the pictures.

The pictures aren't showing today for me today. I'm not sure if that's temporary or the final shutdown. Hopefully I'll be able to retrieve them somehow if they're not already gone forever.

More to come. If you have any insight, please share.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 10:56:34 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

Re: Tinypic is shutting down or already has.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 05:17:50 PM »
I'm showing it working again for now.

Going to try to save our pics before they shutdown.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 08:45:47 PM »
I'm downloading the entire website now including pictures (normal backups don't include the content of online pictures).

So it should be a case of uploading them to a new host with the same names and doing a global replace with the new host name.

Hopefully we can find something as easy as the tinypic plug in, because people always had trouble posting pictures before that.

I'll keep y'all posted.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »
I've been looking for a replacement system without much luck.

In the past, we've disabled and/or discouraged the image attachment system for images as a cost saver.

Thanks to your generosity and the success and popularity of our campout auctions, it seems safe to say we can budget for more hosting going forward, and fully embrace image attachments on our own server.

I don't anticipate any pushback, so look for an announcement and forum modifications soon.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 10:11:02 AM »
One thing I always hated about the attachment system was the "thumbnail" in the post was effectively useless. You had to click every pic to look at it.

I've tweaked it so that the thumbnail is a usable-sized picture, and then you can elect to expand it.

One example is at http://seprepnet.com/forum/index.php/topic,3856

Let me know what you think of how it displays.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 08:13:41 PM »
I got the shutdown date - September 9th.

They're no longer accepting new pictures so I removed the plugin without breaking anything.

I've got all the pictures stored locally to upload to our own server. Just getting the technical bits together to keep them alive seamlessly.

For now, and presumably going forward, use the attachment system for local photos. I've modified it to where it doesn't suck so bad.

Sample picture of the altar I erected in my NEGA kitchen this weekend.
~ Daniel Webster

Farside

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 04:12:43 PM »
let me know how much you need to update the system.

Lilburner

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 02:12:42 PM »
OK - still working on it. Kind of a good news (for the forum), bad news (for me) situation.

Turns out all the pictures I'd downloaded to a backup were some kind of coded bullsh** that weren't really pictures at all, but some sneaky way of linking to dying pictures.

The bad news for me was that I had to manipulate almost every picture to get a hard copy. The good news for the board is that I rescued all but three pictures. They were supposed to be open all through today, but now they're just serving "unavailable" images. Fortunately I did most of it in a marathon, nearly overnight session last night until I couldn't any more, and just left a few today and got them all done except the last three.

Right now, all the tinypic pictures are showing "unavailable", but I'm working to get them converted to internal hosting hopefully today.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 02:15:59 PM »
More good news.

It looks like the plan to to host the images internally is only going to be $40 more a year. That should keep us going for several years to come, but image storage is cumulative, so there will eventually be more increases. $40 looked like a lot of money when we started out, and still not something we'd spend for no good reason, but your generosity at our campout auctions is keeping us in the black. Keep up the good work!
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 03:01:10 PM »
Looked like there may be a broken pic or two for whatever reasons, but three I know I can't recover are (in case you still have them handy and want to edit your post using attachments or a different host)

RWS - (top pic) http://seprepnet.com/forum/index.php/topic,3653.msg21917.html#msg21917
Starlady - http://seprepnet.com/forum/index.php/topic,2815.0.html
RevJammer - http://seprepnet.com/forum/index.php/topic,288.msg1391.html#msg1391

It's entirely possible I'll break the database hacking the internals, so look for brief downtime, but everything's backed up.

And just for fun - here's all our recovered pictures, safe and sound http://seprepnet.com/forum/Images/Inline/

~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 10:21:38 PM »
All done! Should be back to normal except for the loss of the three pictures.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal