Author Topic: Seed Bank Project  (Read 2187 times)

Stephen

Seed Bank Project
« on: August 09, 2019, 11:20:54 AM »
Our local Prep group started a Seed Bank Project. The objective is for each person in the group to have their own bank of Open Pollinated vegetable seeds that have been proven to do well in this location, and packaged for long-term storage. Ideally, we would all be growing these in our gardens now. Reality is that some of our members just don't have the ability to do that at their present location. Do what you can with what you've got where you are.

The original idea was that we would prepare the seed banks as a group and then split the cost. After working on it a bit, we realized that it just wasn't a practical approach. Instead, we came up with instructions to build your own seed bank. While ours is specifically designed for our location (Volusia County, Florida), you can easily modify it to meet your own needs.

Here's the link to the Seed Bank Project:
http://volusiacountyprepping.com/seed-bank-project/

Starlady

Re: Seed Bank Project
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 03:51:50 PM »
For all of our newer Georgia members, we used to have a seed bank and many folks made contributions to it.  When the caretaker moved out of state, I volunteered to take it over and do some grow outs of the older seeds (thus keeping the supply fresh).  Unfortunately the seeds were improperly stored in plastic bags, and most had small bug holes.  The only thing I could get to germinate was...…...you guessed it.....zucchini.  I offered to return the seeds to the original contributors but no one was interested so I actually opened unopened packs of varieties I didn't have on my little farm and none of those germinated, either.

Plastic bags (even DOUBLE wrapped) are not sufficient to keep out the many kinds of little seed-boring bugs that will feast on your food supply.  Even in a sealed plastic tub.  Freezing and thawing, freezing and thawing will also take a toll on your germination rate.  And there are some seeds that will only be good for 3-4 years NO MATTER HOW WELL YOU STORE THEM.  This is not a do and forget thing - vacuum sealing or freezing PLUS rotation appropriate to the seed is the only thing that will feed you if things go bad or food goes sky high.   

For more info please get yourself a copy of Suzanne Ashworth's Seed to Seed, 2nd edition.  You don't just dry 'em and put 'em up - that doesn't imitate nature for many types of seeds and no matter well stored, they will not grow.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Stephen

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 04:03:19 PM »
A big +1 for Seed to Seed. That should be on everyone's bookshelf! Excellent book.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 11:47:32 AM »
So, my GEMC Georgia magazine came in the mail today.  My wife pointed out an article for me to read on page 38.  I looked online but this magazine is not there.  So,  I photocopied it to my computer and attaching it.  It tells of seed banks at local libraries around Georgia, mostly North Georgia.  This may interest some here.

upacreek

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 12:07:45 PM »
I would love to add seed swapping to our camp outs or meetups.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 12:10:58 PM »
I would love to add seed swapping to our camp outs or meetups.
Might be an activity for the Summer picnic......

Starlady

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »
Yeah, the last big one was 4 years ago or more.

I'll volunteer to do the little presentation again.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Gunner

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 01:00:35 AM »
I am pulling seeds that I sealed up a few years ago, and trying to get the to grow a little.... I haven't seen any results yet, but Im not a quitter.  Just started a second tray of newer seeds to how they will do... still trying to be optimistic about this.   cleared the garden area out, and hoping to get more use out of it this year than we did last year.  I need a better plan to kill off the ground cover.... grass, weeds, other assorted growth... does anyone know if salt is really a good ground clearing tool?
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 06:08:10 AM »
I am pulling seeds that I sealed up a few years ago, and trying to get the to grow a little.... I haven't seen any results yet, but Im not a quitter.  Just started a second tray of newer seeds to how they will do... still trying to be optimistic about this.   cleared the garden area out, and hoping to get more use out of it this year than we did last year.  I need a better plan to kill off the ground cover.... grass, weeds, other assorted growth... does anyone know if salt is really a good ground clearing tool?
Most seeds need to be warm to germinate.  When I start seeds I put the starter tray up on top of a small upright freezer.  When the compressor runs, the sheet metal on top of the freezer gets warm.  The seeds sprout.  Works better that the heat mat I tried.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:15:26 AM by RWS »

tlwagg

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 08:54:10 AM »
Gunner have you tried vinegar, water, and a drop of dawn? As for the seeds if you're wondering if they are still good you can do that little germination experiment the kids did in school. Take a paper towel wet it then place some seeds in it and roll them up and put them in a ziplock bag see how many germinate.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Stephen

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 08:58:10 AM »

Salt will clear ground - forever. Definitely do NOT use it unless you want sterile ground for many years. You might have heard the phrase "salt their fields" when a conquering army wanted to make sure that any survivors would starve to death because their fields would not grow anything.

The only ways that I know of that work are:
1) Using a rotary tiller (I've had a Troy-Bilt in the past, and have a BCS now), or smothering the area. Tilling is fast, but not something you want to do any more than you have to since it's really not good for the soil microbial life, and the equipment isn't cheap. That's how I have been doing it and it works fine for me.
2) Smothering by using a silage tarp or sheets of cardboard or any kind of ground cover that is light-proof.

The advantage of using a silage tarp (or similar) is that you water the ground really well or apply after a good rain, then the weed seeds that are in the ground will germinate but die because no light is available. You'll still need to work the ground some to break up and incorporate the dead vegetation, but it will be much easier at that point,

Stay away from any chemical short-cuts!

Rockhopper

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 10:50:18 AM »
Stephen states a good point about tilling not being good for the soil since it destroys symbiotic mycorrhizal fungi and also lets nitrogen escape into the atmosphere. Unfortunately I was beaten down so badly with work and other preps over the winter so didn't get to smother weeds with plastic as Stephen mentions.

Due to the expediency of current events I decided to try the following method. First I went to an area where I deposited wood chips 6 years ago only to find them completely decomposed so used a lawn mower to cut the growth off and then dug up the rich compost:

/var/folders/45/b__b9hdn1s9gg3_hw5yngql80000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_0988.jpeg

Then I put the compost on some garden beds on top of the weeds in an effort to smother them & placed commercial grade weed mat on top. Next, using a small propane torch, I burned small holes into the mat for the plants and so the fabric would not fray. I did not till. Instead, using small trowels, I dug into the holes through the compost layer and into the undisturbed dirt below. This is a type of no till. Up a creek had posted about no till a while back. I'd like to hear more.

/var/folders/45/b__b9hdn1s9gg3_hw5yngql80000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_0987.jpeg

In the picture you will notice some plants such as peppers are off center. This is by design as I bought more plants than I really had room for and am experimenting with how much shade to give some plants since I've found my peppers tend to sunburn.

Stephen

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 10:56:20 AM »
Rockhopper - the photo links come up with an error. Probably want to check that.

The no-till method is great for small scale gardening, and keeping tilling to a bare minimum is important on any scale, but (my opinion) it is not practical for any kind of large scale gardening.

Rockhopper

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 11:11:23 AM »

Rockhopper

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 11:21:36 AM »
Stephen,

I'm interested to hear why you think no till won't work on a large scale. Here's a guy that teaches farmers how to do it. He uses cattle to enrich his soil without fertilizer and has never put a chemical on his pasture. Right now I'm using chickens for weeding and fertilizing. I'd like to hear more. The video is long but worth it; however it does challenge many people these days with short attention spans having gotten used to Cliff notes and such:

I hope to hear back. Best wishes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal