Author Topic: FM Antenna question  (Read 989 times)

Starlady

FM Antenna question
« on: August 11, 2019, 09:31:33 PM »
I just know somebody here will have an answer for me!

I'm researching fm antennae for my awesome 7-in-one stereo unit.  I can get one oldy rock station and PBS in my boonies.  My problem is that the 3-4' antenna that came with the unit seems to be hardwired somewhere inside the cabinet.   Since the insides are a: record player, cd player, sd card & thumb drive players,  radio, cassette player and recording stuff from any of these players is there a way to get around taking the thing apart to get better ….. and more ….reception?   There is a 'line input' jack on the back but that doesn't work for radio, right or is that what it's for?  Other than that, I've got a small headphone jack & aux input in front.

HELP Y'ALL?
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Country Singer

Re: FM Antenna question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 11:15:05 PM »
It's hard to say without knowing the model of the device, but you'd almost certainly have to crack it open.

The Line Input is used to attach other devices to the unit, usually something that you would leave hooked up, which is why they're usually on the back.  The Aux Input would be be for the same thing, but usually something that you'd only connect temporarily, like an iPod or similar.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

wiseguy

Re: FM Antenna question
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 02:23:47 PM »
Receiving antenna's are very forgiving.  If its not a problem for you, get some long stranded wire.  Smaller gauge will probably work best for this idea.  Wrap the wire around the existing antenna just enough so it has physical contact and won't easily pull off.  Three to six wraps maybe...maybe a little tape to hold it in place... Then take the rest of the wire and lay it out or hang it up near the radio to see if you get a better signal.  Not much different than wrapping aluminum foil around your old TV rabbit ears to try and get a better signal.  You might find that laying it along the length of a wall works better than hanging it up the wall.  (You pick up some radio signal from the electrical wire in the walls...) 
Certainly isn't going to hurt trying.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal