Author Topic: Roll Call August 24, 2019  (Read 155 times)

Ravenwood1950

• Bugged Out
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
Roll Call August 24, 2019
« on: August 24, 2019, 05:44:53 PM »
So sorry I could not be with y'all at the get together today. I hope everyone had a great time and did a lot of chatting with each other.
I finally got some decent rain this afternoon and I pray that it will rain all night as I could use 2-3 inches of rain easily.
Not much going on here this week. Mother's 91st birthday is tomorrow and she is doing pretty well. She is so thin...I am glad she turns in her bed often
or I would surely be nursing bed sores. :(
I am re-reading 'Lights Out' this week; I like this novel as it gives one hope that people can band together and make it. I often think of starting a
neighborhood watch and seeing if I can direct it towards a group of neighbors that will work together if something happens but you are so afraid of
telling too much or making folks think you are nuts.
I am seriously thinking about a fall garden as I had a great crop of green beans that I planted late last year about this time. I can never get my cabbages to head up
before cold weather, any suggestions? I guess I really need a soil test but when the planting bug bites you just feel ready to go. :)
I hope everyone gets back home safe from the activity today. Check in with us folks and let us know how you are doing.
Ravenwood

8greenbeans

Re: Roll Call August 24, 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 04:40:22 PM »
Just more of the same here. Work the paying job, work the homestead. Been canning up little storm and still reorganizing one shelf at a time in the pantry and extended pantry. I need to get a few things going in the raised beds this week and work on the window farm a bit more. Been listening to lots of podcasts to keep the mental juices going.

USMC Veteran, USAF Mama
Blue Star Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans
5 GrandBeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

RWS

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 07:42:43 AM »
I see there is a storm that may head this way.  I took a few minutes to round up a couple portable solar panels from the garden spots and move them into the shop.  I first charged a couple 12 Volt marine batteries.  I still have two in service with current crops.  I have to keep an electric fence around the garden spots to keep the deer out. 

I put the 4 ft tiller on the tractor and tilled the garden that had corn & sweet potatoes.  It will be ready for early planting, probably English peas and red potatoes.  I plant the English peas the last of January and potatoes the 14th of February.

We went and picked pears this morning.  The bag & white bucket are Bartlett and the other two buckets are Pineapple pears.  We really did not need any pears as we still have some canned from previous years.  If the storm does get up this way, all the pears will be on the ground...

The wife put the peanuts in the freezer before I got a picture, but here is the pears canned.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 10:18:07 AM by RWS »

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 02:06:20 PM »
Working on the wild concords this week, got a couple of Granny Smith apples, too!  Otherwise, busy trying to keep all the ducks fed - I have 14 adult Anconas, 18 babies/teens & 6 Jumbo Pekins, lol.

And getting all the produce put up:  more strawberries, basil, german thyme, lots more tomatoes, more mints, stevia, sage & oregano, more fried green tomatoes.  Can't wait till the lemon balm is big enough to harvest.  Letting the 1st year yarrow go to seed (and it's killing me!), collecting the large sized plantain seeds & leaves, collecting the second flush of branch flowers on the mullein.  Leaving the 1st year mullein babies so I can harvest 1/2 of them for the root in the fall. Not to mention making & freezing a couple dozen slices of french toast - makes a great quick breakfast and uses up the duck eggs, lol.  But no weeds were harmed this week, ick.

Caught Rocky, although there is a sib or spouse around as the stuff under the lean to got trashed again.  They don't seem to want to come by on rainy nights though, so haven't caught that one yet. 

6 weeks ago I started an infusion of the mullein flowers in olive oil......only made a little bit just in case because I never get ear issues.  Except . . . .  on the way home from Saturday's great lunch and as the evening progressed it became extremely painful to swallow.  Darned if the stuff didn't work overnight and it was ready just in time!  I wish I had more time to do more herbal stuff, this is truly fascinating.

Thanks to Florida44 & Chief for the score on egg cartons!  150 brand new at a yard sale. Cheap. 

Need to go get some pretty inside pots to transplant the 3 yr old aloes from tlwagg - they have gotten huge.    And something for the tea bush I received this weekend from another thoughtful member - makes me want to go buy more.

As the song says "I live the life I love and I love the life I live".  I am so blessed to be able to do all this!

Y'all have a great week.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

wiseguy

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 11:58:50 AM »
Checking in.  I am still alive.  We are still building our new home in the Rome area.  It should be done in September.  The property already has a pear tree and its dropping pears quickly.  I need to go harvest some before they all fall and get eaten. 
Once we are in, we will be working on a chicken coop and will need to get started in that path.  I have never raised chickens.  My wife has when she was a child.  I am sure things have changed, so we will be looking for advice. 
I will also be trying to take my barn to 100% solar, but to begin, I am going to use the solar for my ham shack which will be on the second story of the barn. 
I have a lot of projects to do around the property.  Its 2.5 acres of mostly woods.  I will slowly push back some of the trees to get more garden space.  We have enough to start with once I get clean up done.
Lots going on.  I already told my wife that I have 3 years of projects to do. 

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 08:25:45 PM »
Tons of free chicken advice for a bucket of pears!  (My blooms got frosted this year)
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

wiseguy

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 07:57:52 AM »
Tons of free chicken advice for a bucket of pears!  (My blooms got frosted this year)
We may have waited too long to pick the pears, but I am going to try to get some picked off the tree soon.  Maybe this weekend. :-)