Author Topic: What would you buy if you had 6 hours to SHTF and $10,000  (Read 5441 times)

Lilburner

What would you buy if you had 6 hours to SHTF and $10,000
« on: October 02, 2019, 07:27:35 PM »
I'm extrapolating this out from the Prepper Camp topic, because it's been kind of bugging me trying to decide what I would do.

The ONE thing I took away from the class as a positive was to keep one high limit credit card empty (he mentioned $10,000). If you get a day or even several hours heads up to SHTF before the general population (went to all of Forward Observer's classes. Check him out), then you hop in the truck and load up on bonus preps at Costco, Home Depot, whatever on your way out of Dodge.

If your Intel is bad, you return it all. Worst case of total societal collapse, you never even pay for it.

So if you get a head start - knowing you'll be well on your way to whatever before things get crowded or shut down, what would you get?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

Re: What would you buy if you had 6 hours to SHTF and $10,000
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 08:44:50 PM »
More Ammo
One of every seed package
Potatoes (white & sweet) - yes, you can grow your own from store bought
More sugar, honey and salt
A Jeep full of poultry feed
More fish antibiotics
Maybe a small greenhouse
More jeans & undies - I can make most anything but commercial are better, lol
More boots - rain, muck & work
More work gloves
More batteries and another charger
More.....of everything!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

upacreek

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 07:23:10 AM »
I like Starlady's list.  I'd add:
hardware to fix things
wood/concrete for construction
lots of tools
gun supplies - cleaning, spare parts, etc
clothing would include smaller sizes for me (yay, weight loss opportunity!) and growing sizes for the mutants (aka my kids)
fencing
extra radios
mountain bikes with spare parts
seeds
surveillance equipment

Most of this stuff can be purchased and stored long term, so there's no need to wait on it, other than using up that money now.

Edit: I forgot to add a still and medical supplies.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:33:44 AM by upacreek »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

aces

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 04:09:03 PM »
Any local sources for fish antibiotics since 6 hours would rule out shipping?
Just curious!

I would head right to Wally and load up on more bottled water, canned food, grill gas canisters, lighters, extra clothes especially jeans for hubby, extra tennis shoes and boots, gloves, bug repellant, sunscreen, a few diaper packs (trade item and charity for my group members), more hygiene supplies, and OTC meds especially pain pills (asprin, Advil.) 

Stop by the liquor store for "medicine" (for my husband's nerves since he "ain't" going to cope well with having to BBQ or smoke his own meat all at once) and possibly for more barter items.

Stop by local gun store for more ammo on the way home.

Go back by Harbor Freight nearby for an extra generator, more batteries, and anything else I could afford with the remaining funds that would fit in my vehicle
that I would remotely need or could use for trading  (extra axes, solar panel(s), gas cans, heavy duty chains, more tarps).

Oh and leave a little $ to fill vehicles and new gas cans up before bunkering in.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:20:24 AM by aces »

tlwagg

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 08:38:16 PM »
Lots of reloading supplies, smaller clothes (because you know you will lose weight), extra solar panels and batteries, and then I'd start on the LDS list until I ran out of money.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Gunner

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 12:50:50 AM »
1- Home Depot ---- rope, chain, tools, axes, shovels, N-95 masks.
2- Harbor Freight -- batteries, water pump, gloves, the kits that contain: cotter pins, washers, clevis pins, O-rings, + nitrile gloves, and other asst stuff....
3- JoAnn fabrics ---  Silk thread, regular thread, curved needles, straight needles,  camo print fabric, some black fabric
4- Kroger/IGA ---    additional food supplies
5- Dave.... hes my ammo guy......
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

tlwagg

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 10:50:00 AM »
One thing everyone is forgetting is patterns in case you need to make clothes and plenty of denim. Also tea it gets better with age.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Lilburner

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 11:15:35 AM »
I'm with Aces - where do you get the fish antibiotics? I tried to find them locally the first time I purchased, gave up, and had to suffer through a pretty serious toothache for an extra couple days waiting on delivery.

I like Gunner's approach of naming off the stores, because you have to think about routing and prioritization. Also great idea about the hardware kits. I should probably load up on those in advance.

I can't really buy clothes locally in a hurry (stop oppressing me!) but I do prep brand new clothes along with boots. I'm 100% sure I'd need smaller sizes, but haven't started prepping those yet.

Building materials are great, but I'd worry they'd eat up load capacity in a hurry. I'd like to be ahead of the curve on that. Worst case, I think abandoned homes would be a source after SHTF (just better make damn sure they're abandoned!)

I wonder what the odds are that keeping our ears to the ground would give us this kind of advantage. I'd think "not probable, but not unheard of" - maybe 20-25%. Enough to consider.

There's definitely a reaction curve on the small scale. I did a stint at Home Depot years ago, and you'd see people getting generators, tarps, heaters, etc. before you'd even heard about a storm. The buildup of preparation would start slow, then turn to a feverish mad dash, ending in people four hours before the storm asking "Hey man. Why don't y'all have any generators?"
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

8greenbeans

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 11:28:31 AM »
I'm with Aces - where do you get the fish antibiotics?

I get mine at Tractor Supply.

USMC Veteran, LEO Mama
Navy MIL, USAF Vet Mama
Army Daughter
8 Beans
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
3 Beans-in-law, 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

Lilburner

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 12:00:16 PM »
I'm with Aces - where do you get the fish antibiotics?

I get mine at Tractor Supply.

Good to know! This wasn't the case when I had my experience.

I see they have Fish Mox and Fish Pen. But only at certain stores. None near my in-town home, but some around the homestead and one between points A and B.
~ Daniel Webster

Fixit

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 02:30:57 PM »
Ok .I have to say it . I thought the idea of prepping was to not need to panic buy. If you have $10.000 dollars why don't you have these supplies already o n hand .
 I operate on the principle that it's best to avoid the twerps  .Not being in that first wave of buyers but being already at or o  the way home.
TWERPS = Those With Empty Reserve Pantries

Sorry but these type questions sometimes bring out this type of response from me.

Starlady

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 05:13:14 PM »
Fixit:

1)  I may have misunderstood but I believe the premise was that the sheeple don't know it's coming and you have 6 hrs.

2) Hardly anyone can actually store EVERYTHING they'll ever need if SHTF, most of have at least some of nearly everything but MORE is always better when you KNOW it's coming.

Tlwagg, not everyone!  Being a lifelong seamstress, I already have women's, kids and men's patterns....and years' worth of sewing, crochet and knitting magazines with even more patterns and pro tips.  Zippers, buttons, hook & eyes, snaps, elastic, Velcro, needles in every possible size for manual & machine sewing, maintenance tools for the electric & old Singer machine and probably a million miles of thread.

As for TSC - be sure to check the x-dates, both my local stores are known to keep them on hand 6 months after the x-date (not that we wouldn't use them anyway, but sometimes the back of the shelf has newer stock).  You can also get more than just the mox and pen - the livestock section has Durramcyin and excellent stuff from Vetericyn.  I'd use the vet ophthalmic gel on myself if I had an eye infection
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 05:15:36 PM »
Well the finer points of the question are that it's not your money and that you're well ahead of any horde.

Not a valid way to prep or plan, but a small chance for bonus items.
~ Daniel Webster

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »
1. Diapers and baby wipes
2. Toilet paper and food stores, medication
3. Gas, motor oil, fuel filters, pmcs stuff.
4. Dog food and chicken feed etc.
5. another 4 wheeler
Psalms 127:3-5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal