Author Topic: What would you buy if you had 6 hours to SHTF and $10,000  (Read 5438 times)

tlwagg

Re: What would you buy if you had 6 hours to SHTF and $10,000
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2020, 08:56:55 AM »
Frozen veggies almost as good as fresh. My freezers are full. Don't forget the fruit oh and chocolate (buy cocoa it last forever). Oh, hubby some niffy NBC goggles to our preps. I would have gone for the cheaper Dewalt one's as an ER doc suggested but he got a good deal early on.

Abigayle how long will the crackers last?
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Abigayle

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2020, 09:34:49 AM »
Tlwagg,  The crackers last at least five years.  Some people say ten.  I have only heard people say that they eat them after five years and they are fresh.  The only ones I could not get to seal were wheat thins.  I am going to try again.  I did use my food saver after canning to insure all the air was out and that the seals were for real. I bought a large mouth jar sealer vacuum sealing accessory.  A couple of oxygen absorbers may work fine. k two tips, leave the band off if you use the vacuum or it won't work (ask me how I know:(. try first then read directions..) Always  wipe your rims, just like any other canning.  On U-tube, watch The canning Diva for crackers.  She is a chef/prepper, Tess Pennington. Her canning recipes are great, but time consuming for the best ones!  Good luck!
Ariel

tlwagg

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »
Thanks Abigayle. I haven't tried crackers but I seal tons of stuff with my food saver. I'll have to try them and those oyster crackers I like in soup. I wonder how it would work with marshmallows?

Abigayle

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2020, 03:26:00 PM »
I wouldn't try marshmallows, because I would worry about the dust.  I know you can't do flour and things like that.  If you are braver than I am, go for it, but food savers are not cheap.  Marshmallows keep for a fairly long time, even though they may get a little tough.  Guess we are off subject on what would we buy.  I think today, I would buy a well equipped little tractor to help with big gardens.
Ariel

revckd

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2020, 10:08:53 AM »
Bump - I really liked this exercise and thought a bump would be just as another year is almost DONE! Are there any things you would change, add or take away from your list as we move into 2021.

I noticed I had oil on two lists - x1.
Also, need Diesel.
Just check for ammo as there is probably none available.
As for building supplies, well that would be another 10k credit card altogether, haha
Make sure the dually is a 4 door 4wd w/ mud tires and camper is bunkhouse style.
and oh yea Abigayle, she does know I call her wifey and its fine :)

If I knew there were only 6 hrs and I had access to 10k real quick:

First I would Grab the wifey & boys and Run to U-haul and get the big box truck, drive 3 miles to, drop one son at Home Depot, drop wifey at Walmart and the other boy at Tractor Supply the I would go to:

Sam's, there I would Load pallets of Long term foods, Generators, oil, radios, Toiletries, vitamins,  Meds, & stuff there.

Then I would go next door to Tractor Supply pay for the Antibiotics, feeds, tractor fluid, oil, Boots, clothing, Gas cans, FULL Propane bottles, tools and farm & garden Supplies one of the boys and picked out...

Next I would go to Sam's Gas station & Fuel up everything!

Pick up the wifey and girls at Walmart from getting all the applicable ammo (No more guns as that will take to much time) and all else we thought of while at other places because Walmart has everything, HAHA

And get the other boy at Home Depot across the street getting building repair & supplies including nails, 2by's, OSB, tin, Chain Saws, Chains, oils, Splitter...

Oh what the heck I might even test drive a Brand New F350 Diesel 4X4 and I may even see if Camper land might let me see if it would pull that camper I wanted too. I can go big here cause I got six ppl working it yall.

Get back home in just a nick of time!!!

P.S. I would probable have used the 10k & pegged a few cards too as it was the really big U-haul  8)
The truck and camper are just end of days bonuses ;D
revckd
KM4PHQ

Bellatores et Venatores in Christo
A prudent person foresees danger ahead and takes precautions. ~ Proverbs 27:12

tlwagg

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2020, 02:39:24 PM »

If your Intel is bad, you return it all. Worst case of total societal collapse, you never even pay for it.

Buy everything and leave it unopened so you can return it if nothing happens. The one thing I'm wondering is if you start charging will the credit card companies freeze the card thinking it's fraud.

aces

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2020, 04:38:10 PM »
Some will hold up processing the card until you respond to a text or phone call to verify it is you making the purchase.  Citi stopped someone from buying a $5000 computer setup on NewEgg on my husband's card last year.  Since he never buys online, it triggered their algorithm.   
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:37:26 PM by aces »

revckd

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2020, 08:07:29 PM »
With some of the card companies you can switch them on/off which is a great idea for this type scenario.
revckd
KM4PHQ

Bellatores et Venatores in Christo
A prudent person foresees danger ahead and takes precautions. ~ Proverbs 27:12

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal