Author Topic: California to remove all repeaters  (Read 2785 times)

tlwagg

California to remove all repeaters
« on: October 03, 2019, 08:48:03 PM »
Has anyone about heard about this? 
California has declared Ham Radios are no longer a benefit and requires all removal of all repeaters within the state.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Country Singer

Re: California to remove all repeaters
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 10:00:53 PM »
Where did you hear that from?
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

tlwagg

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 10:12:13 PM »
One of the guy is our club was asking if anyone knew more about this. He added these bookmarks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv2sb4LJq2g
http://www.shastadefense.com/FAX-CalFireHamRadio20190923.pdf

Country Singer

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 10:49:33 PM »
Ahhh, removal of repeaters from state property.  That's not going to go over well.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Lilburner

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

tlwagg

Starlady

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 07:28:54 PM »
Nearly went thru my ceiling reading the headline.  If you look at it a certain way, it sounds like CA is saying the ham radio system endangers lives, lol.  Glad I read the article.

Which first denies everything we've read from previous posts and then basically goes on to confirm them!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

tlwagg

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »
I think there are two things. They want to show people that they can only rely on government. Without them there will be no way to communicate and to control what people hear. Heaven forbid people become self reliant.

tlwagg

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 08:18:11 AM »
I ran across this update this morning for anyone following the story.

cope

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 11:17:46 AM »
Basically ham radio has been getting a free lunch and is no longer. They have had access to free internet and a free location and free power.
Things like that cost and the govt is tired of paying for it. Plus there is limited rack space and the govt wants the rack space.
So the govt is basically asking if you would like to pay to stay you can because space and electricity cost money. If not you need to find a new location.

Plus there is the liability lets say a ham is working on his repeater and clips a wire or trips over something or hooks something up the wrong way. Any number of dumb mistakes can be made. It causes an issue or shorts out something or causes lightning to come in on a line (like I said any number of dumb mistakes could happen) and it takes out not only the ham repeater but something else. Who is responsible? Should be the ham but more than likely the ham doesn't have tens of thousands of dollars laying around to pay for someone else's repeater and equipment.
So instead of having a ham work on stuff you need a bonded and insured licensed worker to work in the repeater building and on the tower. This cost money. Most hams are do it them selves kinda people and don't have that kind of money to afford these people to work on their equipment. They work on their own equipment.
This is the issue California is having with hams right now. Be it right or wrong yes they have gone about it the wrong way and its been a public relations night mare because of how they announced it.
im the first to hate on govt of California but I understand what they are doing. Be it the wrong way to handle it though.

bountyhunter

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 03:43:47 PM »
I don't know about everywhere else, but the club I belong to pays for everything. None of their repeaters are on gov property. All wiring is independent of anything else in the building. For what its worth, not everyone is trying to burn things up in the shared rack space/building. California sux, for the lack of better words. Also, ARRL should have been all over from the start. Then, maybe the truth would have come out in the beginning. But, then again ARRL is supposed be a HAM advocacy organization. But, I guess they are not as long as folks continue to keep the memberships up, they do however have a good support for licensing and education. I am sure that there will be some backlash to my post and the PTB will totally disagree with my opinion but I don't care.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Lilburner

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 05:43:06 PM »
I can see where some beancounter wouldn't want the county contributing any resources.

But a rack space here, an antenna mount there - for the potential of what's being given in emergency conditions. Why not just defund the fire department as well. Think how much we could save selling off all those buildings and trucks.

GARS/Gwinnett ARES has a mix of private facilities and colocations. As far as amateur access and whatnot - one tower no one's allowed to climb. You play buy the rules. Gwinnett ARES once handled the replacing the downed 911 radio system for several hours. Remember seeing that on the news? No - of course not. Major catastrophe averted. They've also found lost hikers and dementia patients. Stone Mountain club via the repeater got resources to someone in an overturned car who could only reach their radio and not their phone. Not everything has to be Katrina. Oh yeah - Katrina.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

tlwagg

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 07:37:19 PM »
Update

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal